R.I.P. UFC 177

wandshogun09

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Oh, and I'm really hoping Barao takes it back. Not just because he's become one of my favourites, but also because it would be the most interesting thing to happen. Plus, given how awesome he's been, he doesn't really deserve to go 2-0 down against Dillashaw and thus be locked out of the title scene (no disrespect to the guy, but he just hasn't been anywhere near as great).

My sentiments exactly. I don't want to shit on Dillashaw (who put on an MMA clinic last time) but I've still got a feeling that Barao was having a really bad day at the office in the last fight, I expect this to be a much closer affair.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

im with a few others on here who thinks Barao comes out and regains his title. It's easy to say Barao had a bad day at the office last time out but i feel that discredits Dillashaw who looked phenomenal last time out. I do feel that Barao probably underestimated Dillashaw though, im interested to see how Barao comes out knowing now what TJ is capable of.

Fascinating fight, i still take Barao to regain though.

• Paid Members

Balls to Royston Wee.

Yeah there's two schools of thought really for me on this rematch.

A) Barao had a bad night last time, for whatever reason. It happens to everyone eventually and it hadn't happened to him in nine years so he was due an off day. Maybe he just didn't show up, there's been rumours that he was ill going in, maybe it was the weight cut, maybe he'd let complacency set in and underestimated Dillashaw (we're all probably a bit guilty of that, no-one called Dillashaw to even trouble Barao, much less dominate and stop him). Maybe they're all just excuses. We don't know. But to dismiss the possibility of any of them possibly being a factor would be silly. There's no doubt Dillashaw performed amazingly. That was his career best performance, by a fucking mile, against the toughest test he's faced yet. But for Barao not to even be slightly competitive, it does make me think something was off with him last time.

B) Or maybe Dillashaw just has Barao's number. Barao is an awesome fighter but Dillashaw has him beat for speed. His movement and footwork as a striker has come on massively under Duane Ludwig. Plus he has the wrestling background to mix things up and confuse Barao. Aside from Faber, I'm not sure Barao faced anyone else quite like Dillashaw in that sense. Dillashaw has everything. He could just be Barao's problem opponent.

Whatever happens, I definitely think we'll see a much more competitive fight this time. I also think there may be some truth in that early knockdown setting the scene for how the rest of the fight played out. Barao never seemed to recover after that. That's no excuse either, because it was Dillashaw who caused that advantage (like Faber's injured rib in the first Barao fight, it effected the rest of the fight but it was Barao who inflicted the damage). But what happens this time if Dillashaw is unable drop or hurt Barao early on? Will he have the same success later in the fight? I'm not sure.

It's a fascinating fight. And it's a shame it's going to bomb on PPV. I can't see many people buying this but it's a great rematch. It's just saddled with an abysmal undercard. This is the type of fight that would be ideal for FOX, with a big 'Road to the Octagon' special and a potentially much bigger audience.

As it stands this PPV would probably draw just as much if it was just Dillashaw vs Barao 2 with no undercard at all, as it will with what's there. In a way the undercard is actually kind of off-putting. It might actually do better if it was just the top three fights or whatever, or even just the main event. It's the only fight people care about on the card. Fans like us will be interested in Castillo vs Ferguson (which is an excellent fight) or the Correia vs Baszler backstory, but anything this PPV draws (and it won't be much) Dillashaw and Barao drew it single handed. No-one is ordering a PPV to see Castillo, Ferguson, Correia or Baszler.

Still, I'm excited for the main event for all the reasons above. I'm thinking Dillashaw goes 2-0 myself. But I think it will be MUCH closer. Maybe even a controversial decision. But I'd like to see Barao regain the title. Then hopefully Cruz looks good against Mizugaki and we can finally set up that Barao vs Cruz fight. Then there's a possible rubber match with Dillashaw as well. If Dillashaw wins, Barao is in JDS territory being two losses down to the champ. Cruz could actually really liven up the division if he's still got it (which is a huge ask given his time out). Cruz vs Barao, Cruz vs Dillashaw and Cruz vs Faber 3 are all the type of fights the division needs right now.

So yeah, Dillashaw by close decision for me. I've waffled way longer than I meant to.

• Paid Members

I repeat, balls to Royston Piss.

Can someone explain what people like about him, or what I've missed about him? He got in the UFC by beating two guys making their MMA debuts. One of which never fought again, the other lost another fight and hasn't fought since. His first two opponents records stand at 0-1 and 0-2. Wee himself hadn't fought in two years when he was signed to the UFC. Then he debuted on the Singapore card (against a guy with only 5 fights) and like most guys with little experience, I heard he looked like a bit of an amateur. I didn't see the fight to be fair but I read he looked pretty low level. It's hardly Cain or BJ Penn coming in off two fights and wrecking shop.

Nothing against him personally, I just don't get what people see in him. He's shown nothing to impress us in the cage because he's fought no-one of note, does he have some great personality or charisma I've missed? I don't get it.

Funny little name, that's about it. This should've probably gone in the Fight Night thread actually but fuck it, it's here now.

(BTW, does anyone else have this thing where it seems all girls with a certain name are hot? All the women I've ever met or seen called Azusa have been gorgeous. Same goes for Heidi, too.)

Carly for me. Anyone called Carly I automatically think they're gorgeous without seeing them

• Paid Members

Carly for me. Anyone called Carly I automatically think they're gorgeous without seeing them

Now that...

_3474121.jpg

...Is cool.

Jessica for me. Pretty much every Jessica I've ever met has been fit. Plus there's Jessica Alba, who I probably would've met if not for the prospect of a probable restraining order leading to jail time. Even if we're narrowing it down to include just the small number of Asian UFC Octagon girls, that Jessica Whatshername pisses all over this Azusa bird.

Edit - Jessica Cambensy is her name

2635094-9843-rec.jpg

(BTW, does anyone else have this thing where it seems all girls with a certain name are hot? All the women I've ever met or seen called Azusa have been gorgeous. Same goes for Heidi, too.)

Well a Carly is the best looking octagon girl ever. I have known girls named Carly that have not been up too much though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oA6spcvCtY

That Octagon girl Jessica is extremely attractive, and ordinarily I don't really have a thing for Asian girls (it's primarily a problem with tits, or lack thereof, most Asians in my area are flat as a tack everywhere and appear pre-pubescent, Jessica doesn't have that issue).

Can't say Jessica is a hot girl name for me though. It's probably the most common girls name in my town, so I do know a fair share of hotties, but there's absolutely a few fugly ones scattered in there.

For me, I've never seen an ugly Madi/Maddy. Doubt there's any ring girls with that name though.

That Octagon girl Jessica is extremely attractive, and ordinarily I don't really have a thing for Asian girls (it's primarily a problem with tits, or lack thereof, most Asians in my area are flat as a tack everywhere and appear pre-pubescent, Jessica doesn't have that issue).

Some guys I know have a OCD about big boobs. Fittingly they are the biggest tits I know  ;)

• Paid Members

I repeat, balls to Royston Piss.

Can someone explain what people like about him, or what I've missed about him?

do people really like him? im just taking the piss.

However! on a card heavy with guys i dont know, i will be checking out the Wee fight.

oh by the way, the dude he's fighting is 1-1. Now that's a UFC calibre record.

These shows are nothing more than local level shows dressed up as UFC shows, still if fights are competitive they can be fun to watch so i'll be giving it a look (top two fights are excellent though).

Do some digging though and you find some interesting other little stories on the show...

Colby Colvington is an ATT prospect, 5-0 and was Jon Jones college roomate, he's got a bucket load of credentials too.

Shinji Anzai i know fuck all about other than hes finished nearly all his fights by KO, his nickname is the Animal and he looks like a bit of a nutcase.

...and then dude fighting Roland Delorme (who always ends up in good fights) is 17-1, anyone with a record like that raises an eyebrow.

oh, and Danny Mitchell, the Brit is on the prelims.

there's some intriguing stuff in there, fuck it! im gonna watch it all!

Archived