R.I.P. UFC 177

wandshogun09

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Bethe Correia doing some talking;

"I'm not in the UFC to be just another fighter. I will get to the title one way or the other. I will get there. I want a title shot and I will get there by talking or fighting, or both. I want the title and nobody can stop me. I think I deserve a title shot. I will be 3-0 in the UFC with another win. That's my dream and that's what I'm fighting for. Let them decide. If they think I deserve it, I will honor this chance and do a great show."

On Ronda;

"I think they lack of confidence. Ronda believes in herself, and the others get in there afraid of her. I'm not. I'm not afraid of her. It's not that she's better than the opponents she's fought, but they don't believe in themselves. Her look shows it. They don't feel they are better than Ronda. Ronda has this aura that she's unbeatable. She needs to face someone that looks into her eyes and says 'you can't beat me.' Everything I do, I do with confidence. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone. She can be more technical than me, but it doesn't make me feel less confident in myself. I 100 percent believe in everything I do."

Another twist to this Correia vs Baszler fight, and I don't know if this is still happening now, but Cyborg was on about cornering Correia for this fight. Considering Ronda is almost certainly going to be in Baszler's corner, Cyborg in the opposing corner would be very interesting.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh she will. Like I said, Correia is unbeaten but when you look at her performances in the UFC - she fought Julie Kedzie who had one foot in retirement. She barely squeaked by on points and if I remember right I actually had Kedzie winning. Then she outpointed Jessamyn Duke who's on a real shit streak. If that's her level and she's not even dominant then, I don't see her troubling Ronda at all.

But that's where we're at with womens 135. Until we get Cyborg in there, and possibly Holm (although she'll need a TON of work), I don't see any of the current crop giving Ronda much bother. She's too far ahead of the pack and she's still improving rapidly. When a skilled fighter and jiu-jitsu black-belt like Alexis Davis gets murdered in 16 seconds, and an Olympic silver medalist like Sara McMann can't last more than one minute, it becomes a case of 'how long will she last?' rather than 'can she win?' It's ridiculous. I get that the womens game is at least a decade behind the mens, but it's still something to behold the way Ronda just ragdolls these women who others aren't finishing.

• Paid Members

When it comes to rank and file shows, UFC outdraws boxing, but when it comes to mainstream respect and acceptance. and the promotional push that comes with it, Boxing is still well ahead of MMA. 

I'm sure Cejudo has his wrestling fanbase but there's no guarantee they're going to follow him to MMA. And even if they do, there's nothing to suggest they are in any kind of numbers that would move the needle. One can presume they would but that's not really evidence, just a presumption.

Sure, Kurt was treated like a god in his hometown. But it wasn't long before he had to go cap in hand to the WWF and accept a deal far lower than the he originally received because the job offers had dried up and there was nowhere else for him to really go.

If I was in the promotional arm of the UFC, I would probably promote Cejudo as well and hope for the best. But I'd be realistic enough to accept that there is no guarantee or assurance that it would mean anything. An Olympian going into MMA is a curiosity, but that's the kind of thing that moves TV numbers, not PPV buys, unless there is some kind of hook or story that pushes them over the edge, and Cejudo doesn't have that.

the difference between Kurt and Cujedo is that Kurt was retiring from active competition following the Olympics, and only went to the WWE after he failed as a sports broadcaster...Cujedo is very much in his athletic peak right now. Still the comparison i made was in reference to these guys having name value coming off winning Gold medals.

Still, i don't see what promoting Cujedo could possibly do to harm the promotion of this event, surely it has to mean something. Even if they stuck a little 5 minute piece about him on the end of the countdown show promoting the debut and pushing his credentials, bring up the other Olympians currently in the UFC and then simply mention that Cujedo's achievement trumps them all...plus he's the youngest American wrestler to ever win the Gold. Say he's potentially the next big thing in the lower divisions, get people interested, i don't see how people can't not be interested in tuning in to watch that, it practically sells itself.

Like we've said maybe it's a case of trying to bring him in low-key and test the waters but it how it feels like a missed oppurtunity to me (similar situation with the Robert Drysdale situation recently - despite how it ended).

• Paid Members

Yeah you would think they'd have at least mentioned it more. I mean he is a fucking Olympic gold medalist! There hasn't been one of them in the UFC since Mark Schultz in 1996. There hasn't been one at all in the Zuffa era. Obviously they're not going to get the full weight of their promotional machine behind him yet but it can't hurt to shine a bit of light on him. Would only look good for the UFC to say they currently have an Olympic bronze medalist as their champion in Rousey, two silver medalists in Romero and McMann and now a gold medalist in Cejudo.

Has anyone seen any of Cejudo's fights. I haven't yet. What's the score, should we be excited much? From bits I've read I've got doubts he beats Jorgensen. It's a tough debut for sure.

• Paid Members

yeh that's what im saying just stick him at the end of the Countdown, put him on the poster, doesn't take much does it?

...and nice shout on that Inside the Octagon piece wand. excellent stuff...with Embedded, Dana's Blogs, the Countdown and other shit they put out the promotional stuff for shows really are better than ever.

There's a documentary about Dillashaw about too, i haven't caught it yet though.

• Paid Members

Something is going on. UFC just tweeted to tune into ESPN for breaking news. Speculation event is cancelled? Possibly Barao having a bad weight cut?

Edit..not cancelled, but Barao is out!

Joe soto steps up! I'll admit, I haven't a clue who he is.

Ppv buys...0?

• Paid Members

holy fucking shit.

177 was doomed from the start, to fall apart the day before just leaves them with options outside of what they are doing.

From the standpoint of someone who isnt attending the event and isnt in a position where i have tov actually buy the PPV i dont wanna moan too much and i'll still tune and watch the fights.

Soto for anyone that doesnt know is a former Bellator champ.

...but holy fucking shit.

Blimey, this event really was doomed. Hopefully the fights still deliver, there is potential for some good ones. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Jorgensen to get the title shot? He lost his opponent too, he's more well known than Soto, you'd only lose 1 fight from the card instead of 2 and he has had fights in the UFC at least.

• Paid Members

I think the reason is that Jorgenson is fighting at fly weight whilst Soto was already on the card fighting at 135. On top of that Soto is an ex champ and is on a winning streak (i did a little research). The unknown nature of Soto ironically will probably raise a few more eyebrows too and may somehow garner more buys (2?) than possibly Jorgenson.

Archived