R.I.P. UFC 177

wandshogun09

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Justin Edwards is out of the show now. His PPV opener with Yancy Medeiros (which was already replacing another canceled fight) is off.

This show is a shambles. I don't know how it'd work with the PPV providers but if the UFC can cancel this and stick the remaining fights on upcoming shows, they probably should at this point. It's a write off.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of official payouts, surely this will be the cheapest PPV show theyve ever done (Zuffa owned shows)? If not ever, then surely in the last 10 years. Even that weak show with Mighty Mouse recently had decent earners like MacDonald, Bader, Woodly and Arlovsky on it.

For the first fight, TJ was only paid $36k, and Barao $74k. I assume TJ will get more 'offical' pay this time, but I doubt it will be a significant increase. Tony Ferguson got $40k last fight, and Jorgensen got $50k. I assume they would be the highest on the food chain for this event (maybe Larkin as well). In terms of the main card, you got a whole bunch of people who must be on shit money. Must go down as one of the cheapest shows theyve ever done.

9-3 to Barao in the poll

I am a bit surprised by that, it is not like T.J caught Barao will a punch out of nowhere. For 25 mins he made Barao look 2nd tier. Beating a fighter for that amount of time indicates that T.J is designed to give Barao problems. 

If Barao simply had an off-night, you would expect some of his superior ability to show in 25mins surely. The result of Tyson vs Buster Douglas is put down to Tyson having an off-night for various reasons, but even during that fight Tyson showed he could trouble Douglas.

With T.J vs Barao, TJ pretty much won every round, and Barao did not show much to indicate he could handle T.J's striking game.

I am going to pick T.J. 

• Paid Members

That's my thinking as well, Jim. I'm going TJ by decision. I think it'll be more competitive but TJ will just outwork him. I hope Barao does better this time. The last thing this card needs is a one way traffic main event.

I've said similar before that Dillashaw's dominance was too much and too long to be considered just him having 'a good night' or Barao having 'a bad night.' There's got to be an element of that but it was too clear a spanking to be chalked up as just a guy having a good/bad night.

Saying that, the argument seems to be how much did that early knockdown take out of Barao? TJ schooled him from rounds two through five and finished him, but Barao might have been fighting on pure instincts from round two on. He was hurt badly early on, it's not a stretch to believe his reflexes, reactions, speed and movement would've been off the rest of the fight after that. That's not an excuse because Dillashaw did everything right last time. But that doesn't mean this fight might not go completely different if Barao doesn't have such a disastrous start this time. It's a really interesting one in that way.

Then again, I thought the same with Cain vs JDS 2. I thought Cain scrambling Junior's brains on the first round knockdown possibly effected the way the rest of that fight went. Then Cain pummelled him arguably even worse in the third fight.

It's tough to predict but I saw enough from Dillashaw in that first fight to make me a believer that he can hang onto the title in this rematch. I don't think the three months since UFC 173 will be enough time for Barao to make the necessary adjustments either. The quick rematch benefits Dillashaw more than Barao for me. Plus Barao's confidence might be rocked. Plus it's in California - Team Alpha Male country. Just seems like it's all heading for a Dillashaw victory.

In other news, The Four Horsewomen have got the seal of approval from the Nature Boy;

923721_1465614047024079_475970422_a.jpg

WOOOOOH!

• Paid Members

Justin Edwards' replacement is Damon Jackson. He's the Legacy FC featherweight champion, 9-0 with 9 finishes and is coming off a first round submission over Leonard Garcia. Now that's not a bad replacement and is the kind of guy you'd expect the UFC to be bringing in.

So here's how the card's looking now...

PPV MAIN CARD

TJ Dillashaw vs Renan Barao - UFC Bantamweight Title

Danny Castillo vs Tony Ferguson

Shayna Baszler vs Bethe Correia

Ramsey Nijem vs Carlos Diego Ferreira

Yancy Medeiros vs Damon Jackson

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Lorenz Larkin vs Derek Brunson

Scott Jorgensen vs Henry Cejudo

Ruan Potts vs Anthony Hamilton

Joe Soto vs Anthony Birchak

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Chris Wade vs Cain Carrizosa

Still a rotten PPV but fuck it. At least we don't have to pay extra to see it. Just look at it like a Fight Night.

That's my thinking as well, Jim. I'm going TJ by decision. I think it'll be more competitive but TJ will just outwork him. I hope Barao does better this time. The last thing this card needs is a one way traffic main event.

I've said similar before that Dillashaw's dominance was too much and too long to be considered just him having 'a good night' or Barao having 'a bad night.' There's got to be an element of that but it was too clear a spanking to be chalked up as just a guy having a good/bad night.

To slightly contradict myself, I would still be slightly excited to see Barao schooled again. Barao is not Anderson or GSP, or even Aldo, but he has built up a solid aura for years. There is still a wow factor to seeing him get battered, which will wear of if he loses again here. I still remembered being slightly stunned when Fedor lost Big Foot in such fashion, despite Werdum subbing him, and Rogers, Arlovski, etc taking bits of his aura.

I think Barao will do a bit better, but as you said, TJ will out work him. The knockdown occurred early, but I swear Barao had his best round in the 2nd or 3rd, right after the knockdown. So unless the effects of the knockdown were delayed, it appeared to have made no real difference.

I kinda want T.J to win. I do want their to be a Brazilian Champion in MMA, as the Brazil cards thrive on a great atmosphere, and a dominant native Champion would enhance that. But, T.J vs Faber could be something for fans to really sink their teeth into for reasons mentioned in this thread. I know the feud would technically be more Faber vs Bang, but it would have meat to never the less. 

• Paid Members

I know UFC management are busy with all the shows and it's tough to take a moment to reflect, but surely at the moment you produce this graphic you think to yourself WTF are we doing?

Bvzg7d0IAAAqbFe.jpg

If you're paying $50+ for this, you may as well save time and set up a direct debit to Zuffa.

• Paid Members

Yeah it really is the dregs of the roster as far as PPV goes. I remember a couple of months ago on a UFC PPV (might've been 175), Joe Rogan was trying to hype this show and it was so unconvincing it was funny. He was desperately trying to drum up some enthusiasm for this card and you could just tell his heart wasn't fully in it. And that was when the card still had Dillashaw vs Barao 2 AND Mighty Mouse vs Cariaso. OK still not a blockbuster but it was still two title fights. If he was struggling to shill it then I can't wait to see the look of apathy on his and Goldberg's faces next week.

Wonder if Rogan and Dana will do the old hard sell at the end of the prelims for this one...

rogan_dana_white.jpg

Rogan: "You do NOT wanna miss this PPV. We've got a STACKED card for you tonight folks!

WE GOT TJ DILLASHAW DEFENDING THE BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE AGAINST RENAN BARAAAAAAO! IT'S BY FAR THE MOST ANTICIPATED REMATCH IN UFC HISTORY. TWO GUYS AT THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN AND POUND...FOR...POUND BEST FIGHTERS ON THE PLANET! IT'S GONNA BE A SICK FIGHT! TELL 'EM DANA!"

Dana: "IT IS WHAT IT IS JOE. THESE TWO GUYS ARE MEAN AND NASTY. THEY'RE IN THE FUCKING MIX. IT IS WHAT IT IS."

Rogan: "I can't WAIT for this fight. And what about the CO-MAIN EVENT? DANNY CASTILLO VS TONY FERGUSON. MAN THESE TWO GUYS ARE ON THE CUSP OF SUPERSTARDOM. WE GOT RONDA ROUSEY'S FRIEND VS ANOTHER WOMAN FROM BRAZIL! IT'S GONNA BE CRAAAAZY. WE GOT RAMSEY NIJEM, WE GOT CARLOS DIEGO SOMETHING, WE GOT NANCY...UHHH YANCY MEDEIROS.....

tumblr_mwitbfRuCi1si9idzo4_500.jpg

DON'T MISS IT! ORDER IT ON PAY PER VIEW RIGHT NOW BITCHES!"

• Paid Members

oh it's a piss poor PPV card no doubt but it's such a great main event....obviously we aint forking out of the cheese for it so we can't really complain but this thing will likely tank. The great thing about the main event is it signifies how quickly MMA changes, before Barao/Dillashaw I people were moaning that it was a nothing fight, now it's one of the most intriguing rematches in years.

The fact that the UFC cancelled UFC 176 is probably the reason why this thing is going ahead, two cancelled shows probably wasn't something they were willing to do. I still think swapping a couple of prelims with the actual main fight cards makes it a better looking card though.

Anyway's fuck it, it's done now and it's happening so we might as well take it for what it is :laugh:

• Paid Members

The great thing about the main event is it signifies how quickly MMA changes, before Barao/Dillashaw I people were moaning that it was a nothing fight, now it's one of the most intriguing rematches in years.

Yeah it's a very intriguing rematch for reasons we've all gone into in this thread. Even still though, it's such a quick turnaround for this rematch that I think that kind of hurts it in a way. How can we expect to see much different from Barao just three months after the first fight and with one camp? It just doesn't seem like he's had enough time to make adjustments. We'll see. It is a great fight and it's better than when it felt like no-one could touch Barao. At least now he has a rival and it's interesting seeing him as the challenger this time.

The fact that the UFC cancelled UFC 176 is probably the reason why this thing is going ahead, two cancelled shows probably wasn't something they were willing to do. I still think swapping a couple of prelims with the actual main fight cards makes it a better looking card though.

I think that's the only reason this card is still going ahead, yeah. They had two PPVs set for August, UFC 176 and 177. To cancel both wouldn't look good.

I hate to bring this up again but it goes back to there being too many shows. Just say you knocked that September 5th Fight Night off the calendar. Just one card off the schedule. Look at the card they could've done for 177;

PPV MAIN CARD

TJ Dillashaw vs Renan Barao - Bantamweight Title

Jacare Souza vs Gegard Mousasi

Alistair Overeem vs Ben Rothwell

Danny Castillo vs Tony Ferguson

Joe Lauzon vs Michael Chiesa

FOX SPORTS PRELIMS

Charles Oliveira vs Nik Lentz

Shayna Baszler vs Bethe Correia

Matt Mitrione vs Derrick Lewis

Scott Jorgensen vs Henry Cejudo

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

John Moraga vs Justin Scoggins

Lorenz Larkin vs Derek Brunson

Al Iaquinta vs Rodrigo Damm

It's still not the type of PPV that's going to get people filling their trousers but it's way better, right? It at least looks like a UFC PPV. And it's a fact that if they didn't have that Sep 5th hole to plug, we could've seen this very card.

For all the fun poked at 177, I'll still end up watching. But it's not like this problem isn't partly their own doing. It wasn't like other PPVs in the past where they stacked it and injuries fucked everything up. They put two title fights on there (from divisions people aren't that arsed about) and then a nothing undercard.

I'll watch it but I definitely wouldn't pay for this if I lived in America. I hope it does 4 buys. I thought after 174 tanking, that they'd learn not to offer up such weak PPVs. But they go and book an even weaker one.

Like I said before though, at least after this we're getting a bunch of great looking PPVs. That's if injuries and drug test failures don't bollocks them up, of course.

• Paid Members

do you think it outdraws 174?

I know we all talk depth of card but realistically how much of a percentage of buys do you think is brought in by a main event alone? genuine question.

Archived