The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

Show started late - massive irony here as the first show where they did only one hours between doors and bell because of how efficient the Ritz staff have been getting us in, was also the first show under the new ticketing system which caused chaos. Instead of just presenting PayPal receipts to be given the right quantity of wristbands, we were now having to be scanned in. Which meant for every receipt for more than one ticket, additional "scannable" print offs were required from the desk. Never mind. Could have started a little nearer the planned time if Jim didn't need to hear the entirety of that dreadful Drake track while he was pacing round the ring, but that's my bugbear, nobody else's.

(1) Damo O'Connor/Joe Coffey beat Rampage Brown & Mikey Whiplash (sub for Michael Dante), Atlas div. tag match.

Whiplash told us Dante couldn't make it for undisclosed reasons and he would take his place. Early on refused to tag Rampage or tagged in only to tag out again in fear of Damo, Strike Force/Brain Busters finish with Whiplash predictably playing Martel, Rampage succumbing to a double-team sequence ending in a senton from Damo. It was what it was.

(2) Damon Moser pinned Zack Gibson with a small package.

Before the match Moser asked Jim if he could get a match with Nathan Cruz if he could beat Gibson, Jim said yes. The Origin informed Moser that if he lost, he'd become their lackey. Decent drama spots around Gibson trying to get/eventually getting the Shankley Gates, mis-cue with Cruz and he ends up cradled for the pin. Origin beat him up after with a chair including Cruz tombstone onto the chair. Wankstain.

(3) Pollyanna pinned Dahlia Black after a sunset driver.

I enjoyed this based on following the feud and the unfinished business from Unknown Pleasures. After Pollyanna made her first comeback and had Dahlia in a submission, Jinny teased interfering to get them both fired (as per pre match stip) but Jim informed her if she did, she'd be fired too, so the "Primark Princess" went back to the dressing room instead. Nasty double stomp while Dahlia was draped over the top rope followed by a sunset driver gave Pollyanna the win. I like a good grudge match with build and the right winner so this ticked my boxes.

(4) Tag Team Champions The London Rights beat Dazzler Team.

The Riots attempted to prove they could wrestle as well as fight in the early going which was funny. I heard Rob say from the apron "I didn't know you could do that" to which Davis replied "I've been working out in the ProJo!" Settled down into a fairly decent match despite my misgivings about the blandness of Dazzler Team and the fact they really haven't earned a tag title shot as far as I can see. Eventually they came unstuck with (IIRC) Darryl getting pinned after the Riots' combo backdrop/spear.

(5) FSU beat Pete Dunne & Damien Dunne, Mark Andrews pinning Damien after combo tombstone/double stomp.

This was a really good match, eclipsed my expectations. Kept moving at a fair old pace and some great double team moves. Personal quibble, there were TWO of those horribly convoluted sequences where a wrestler does something to an opponent conveniently causing him to do a move on his partner. Firstly Andrews was draped onto Eddie's shoulder and Dennis' legs swept causing him to give Andrews an Emerald Frosien-type head drop, then later FSU put Damien onto Pete and dropkicked Pete's feet out causing him to tombstone Damien. Maybe it's just me, but I think those sequences look like shit. Quibble aside, really exciting match. Good heat on both guys and some great false finishes but in the end FSU worthy (and popular) winners.

(6) Mikey Whiplash pinned Pastor William Eaver after a Death Valley Driver.

Chaotic brawl all over the place not unlike Whiplash's match with Rampage at Unknown Pleasures. Whiplash sure takes some abuse, I'll give him that. Back in the ring he survived a crucifix powerbomb then won with a DVD. Decent.

(7) Progress Champion "The Villain" Marty Scurll beat Chris Hero by stoppage with the crossface chicken-wing.

I won't lie, I've really gone off Hero in the last few years but this was a great match. There were many, MANY times where he seemed to have Marty completely at his mercy and a few times off rolling elbows, they fooled me. Ultimately not to be and in the end the champ got Hero on the mat with the bodyscissors and the ref called a stoppage with Hero seemingly unresponsive.

Afterwards Jim confirmed Tommy End, ZSJ and Will Ospreay all to appear at the August show, so that means I'm going.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the show overall, Pollyanna/Black was definitely the best thing in the first half. The rest of it seemed a bit flat especially that tag match going on before the interval. Nathan Cruz hit some of the most appalling chair shots I've ever seen with a plastic chair too.

Things really picked up in the second half though - everything about FSU is great - such a brilliant Babyface act. That entrance never fails to get everyone going. Really good match. The main was superb too. Absolutely lived up to the hype.

I'll definitely be back in August. The Manc shows have been very good and the talent have been delivering but glad to hear those 3 big names will all be there next time.

Womens match was the best thing in the first half easily. I really enjoyed that match and Dahlia Black in particular was really impressive. Didn’t think the Damon Moser/Origin bit did anyone any favours – from the plastic chair shots to Zack Gibson’s Tommy End starter kit line which was way more cutting and accurate than had been attended. Thought he looked a bit of a joke.

Loved FSU (that top rope Hurricanrana was sick) and the main event more than lived up to the hype. They had me a few times soon even though I was 99% sure going in that Marty retained there was some brilliant near falls.

Best thing for me was watching the Mrs attending her first indy show and being really into it. She commented that sitting so close to the ring gave you more of an appreciation of what they do and is already looking forward to going again in August. Big plus for me!

Really enjoyed the show. Our first Progress show. The women's match was good, I enjoyed my first sighting of Zack Gibson.

The second half was great. Good tag match, nice brawl around the hall between Eaver and Whiplash and a sterling main event.

We'll definitely be back.

Never been to a progress show but considering going to the Manchester show.

What is the venue like?

What company is Progress most like?

Are the shows heavily storyline based?

I've been to quite a lot of PCW shows as they're local to me but find the matches there to be quite poor and nearly always comedy based.

Thanks Cleslie I think I'm going to sign up to the demand service. Where would you recommend I start watching?

There's a suggested starting point on the site apparently, not sure what it is! Personally I'd recommend starting with Chapter 28 if you want to start fairly recently. That will catch you up. 

Never been to a progress show but considering going to the Manchester show.

What is the venue like?

What company is Progress most like?

Are the shows heavily storyline based?

I've been to quite a lot of PCW shows as they're local to me but find the matches there to be quite poor and nearly always comedy based.

The Ritz is a great venue, both in terms of general aesthetics and the fact you can be stood or sat anywhere and you've got a great view of the ring.

I go to virtually every PCW show and I always enjoy it but for me it's more of just having a laugh and chanting shit. You get that at PROGRESS too but you also get better matches (for the most part), storylines and it just feels much more professional all round. I'm far more invested in what happens in PROGRESS.

I'd start at Chapter One if I were you! (but 28, which was in Manchester, is a good starting point for catching up quickly).

Edited by SiWri

Thanks for the help SiWri, dont get me wrong I enjoy going to PCW as it's local and I can have a laugh with a few drinks and get to see numerous imports.

However I'd also like to watch some more serious and more story driven wrestling as well. I've heard great things about progress so I'll start watching demand tonight :)

Edited by Setalight

• Paid Members

They'll almost always go on sale the day after the previous show. Manchester tickets have been moving more quickly lately, I think the last show just about sold out on the final day and as of last week there were 70 standing left for August.