The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

I have a spare ticket for today. Someone let me down last minute, and can't resell. Give me a shout if you fancy coming along...

There's a discussion thread in the 'PROGRESS Wrestling Fans' Facebook group for show-day ticket resales - you might have some luck in there.

I have a spare ticket for today. Someone let me down last minute, and can't resell. Give me a shout if you fancy coming along...

There's a discussion thread in the 'PROGRESS Wrestling Fans' Facebook group for show-day ticket resales - you might have some luck in there.

Cool thanks have requested to join...

• Paid Members

Brixton begins to take shape after tonight with the PROGRESS Championship match now set up.

Tonight's results :

Trent Seven and Pete Dunne turned on Tyler Bate and Damien Dunne respectively, and left together leading to a double countout. That was a surprise twist!

Jack Gallagher beat Zack Gibson by submission in a good bout

TK Cooper and Travis Banks beat Jack Sexsmith and Roy Johnson in what stemmed from Bodyguy's Wasteman Challenge

Mark Andrews pinned El Ligero

Mark Haskins defeated Will Ospreay in the match of the night to become number one contender. This went just over 20 minutes and was really really good.

London Riots retained the tag shields over War Machine with a rollup and handful of Ray Rowe's tights. Quality Big Lads wrestling here. I'd like to see a rematch any time.

Finally, Marty Scurll regained the PROGRESS Championship with the Chickenwing, but not before Pastor William Eaver was distracted by the return of Sebastian, who claimed the Pastor has a secret, and he knows what it is. How very Paul Bearer of him.

So, it's Scurll vs Haskins in Brixton, barring any late changes. There's another two chapter shows before then, first in Manchester in 2 weeks then back in Camden 4 weeks tonight.

• Paid Members

I thought tonight was a bit lacklustre overall sadly. The tag titles match was my favourite bout of the night by far though. What a cracker. Rob Lynch is one of my faves in Progress. Very underrated performer.

Disappointed in Haskins/Scurll for Brixton. I just have no interest in Haskins. Good performer but he just lacks that special intangible quality.

• Paid Members

Thought that opening tag was really good until whatever the turn was. Interested in what's going on there. The Gibson/Gallagher match was the highlight of the first half, they've got such great chemistry with each other. Absolutely molton crowd response to Gibson having Smallman do his promo for him and for when he eventually got the mic. Can be quite awkward being a scouser in the crowd with the abuse Gibson gets - things are really clicking for him as an act right now in Progress.

The Wasteman challenge segment was loads of fun but probably could have done without the match itself honestly. Just went an age. Ligero/Mandrews was just alright, would have expected those two would have clicked far better in a singles.

I would have been happy going home after Ospreay/Haskins. I'm not really into Haskins either (the "Underrated" thing needs to fuck off) but it was such a great main event quality match. If he was going to beat Ospreay, this was how you do it. They played Ospreay's injury into the match masterfully. War Machine/Riots had a tough act to follow after it but they really did get the crowd going again with some big bumps and hard hits. Have enjoyed War Machine loads both times I've seen them live now. Great act.

The main was a means to an end. I didn't mind the Pastor cash in as Scurlls run has been a bit dry and predictable for me. Obviously he needed to get the belt back, but I think the Eaver upset gives more of an air of unpredictability to the run.

Overall I really enjoyed it. The Manchester shows have been good but they're just not quite these Camden shows yet. As always a worthwhile journey.

Edited by Benno

A bit gutted on the Seven turn personally, as i feel Mustache Mountain could have done a bit more in Progress (this was their second match here, right?)

I've shat abit on Haskins in this thread, but his last two Ballroom matches have been belters.

• Paid Members

They still called it SSS16 in the announcement, so it doesn't look like an expanded field. Probably first round on Saturday, quarters on Sunday then semis and final on Monday. That way, they don't have to do the massively-draining longer 5hr show on the last day that they've done the last 2 years.

Good news about more shows in more places, even if the 2 Birmingham shows seem to have come at the expense of 2 less Manchester dates. I hope they're going to do some extra Manchester non-Chapter shows instead (ENDVR North? PROGRESS vs. FutureShock? ENDVR vs. FutureShock?).

Pretty shit that we're losing 2 Manchester shows. It's a shame given that none of the shows have drawn badly and the one upcoming is sold out. I heard a rumour not so long back that they were binning Manchester off altogether, i'm glad thats not the case but still dissapointing to be getting less shows there.

That being said, Birmingham isn't too much of a ballache to get to for me I guess

• Paid Members

It does seem strange. The Manchester shows obviously have moved in the right direction attendance wise. Saw Smallman say on Twitter it was a myriad of things. Perhaps it's a venue issue. He did imply they're at their limit of shows in a reply - i.e. that you can have "too much of a good thing".

https://twitter.com/jimsmallman/status/760185838651183104

Edited by Benno