The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

I think it's good they've stuck with their regular ethos of booking their own guys and not relying on imports.

The only non Brits on the card are regulars on the shows  (except maybe Ciampa but he was before NXT) so it truly is a Progress show as opposed to a Supershow under a Progress banner. 

Oh and edit: The whole reading a book during the show thing doesn't make you edgy and cool. It makes you a massive tool.

Edited by Wrasslin

I think it's good they've stuck with their regular ethos of booking their own guys and not relying on imports.

The only non Brits on the card are regulars on the shows  (except maybe Ciampa but he was before NXT) so it truly is a Progress show as opposed to a Supershow under a Progress banner. 

Oh and edit: The whole reading a book during the show thing doesn't make you edgy and cool. It makes you a massive tool.

I wasn't expecting nor wanting any imports. Progress are fully able to sell that place out on their own, what I meant was there doesn't seem to be any 'big build' apart from Ciampa Zack 3.

I wasn't expecting nor wanting any imports. Progress are fully able to sell that place out on their own, what I meant was there doesn't seem to be any 'big build' apart from Ciampa Zack 3.

That's probably fair.

Sebastian vs Pastor has a bit of build behind it as does the Origin match to be fair but yeah the rest does feel a bit  'showcasey'.

• Paid Members

Yeah add me as someone disapointed at that card - the argument against is that on a big stage, that roster is going to knock it out the park regardless - and thats probably true, but I think when so many people blind buy tickets, you should really be paying off with a better built card than this.

I think Will Ospreay being tied up with New Japan is a big factor here, maybe he originally played into planned storylines bigger than he's been able to, but I'm really not into that Main Event especially.

This is the promotion that supposedly does the strongest storytelling and I agree in some ways, but the booking of Scurll/Haskins as a feud is a bit weird. Haskins lost to Scurll in Manchester, then there was the attack after the match which seemed to be going somewhere but it went quiet until now. Haskins being in there just doesn't scream big match to me and neither does Tommy End being in the mix after his own matches with Scurll. I think his farewell match, if that's what this is, would be better served lower down the card.

Part of it probably though is them being victims of their own success, in that on paper, there's definitely been better looking regular Chapter shows recently.

Edited by Benno

Exactly.

We all know the show will be grand because of the quality of the talent on the shows. But it just comes across as another Chapter show, which just so happens to be in a much bigger venue. I think you're right with maybe one or two things originally planned maybe not going in their favour, especially with Will.

Either way, I have tickets and am looking forward too it :thumbsup: .

• Paid Members

The whole reading a book during the show thing doesn't make you edgy and cool. It makes you a massive tool.

Yup.

Agreed. If you don't like something in the show either go to the bar or sit there quietly. Reading a book just makes you a twat.

The whole reading a book during the show thing doesn't make you edgy and cool. It makes you a massive tool.

Yup.

Agreed. If you don't like something in the show either go to the bar or sit there quietly. Reading a book just makes you a twat.

Little off topic but I'd love to just quote the bold part of your comment above without any context.

• Paid Members

Yup.

Ha!  I don't think he was trying to be edgy or cool (this is Gadge we're talking about, after all...) or trying to make a smarky comment on the quality of the angle - I took it that he was just mocking the heel Sebastian.

I, by the way, did precisely what you suggest during that segment and pissed off to the bar (which it seemed many did - it was at that point that there was the longest wait at the bar all afternoon!).

Exactly.

We all know the show will be grand because of the quality of the talent on the shows. But it just comes across as another Chapter show, which just so happens to be in a much bigger venue. I think you're right with maybe one or two things originally planned maybe not going in their favour, especially with Will.

Either way, I have tickets and am looking forward too it :thumbsup: .

Is that not what this is though? It IS a chapter show, and it does just happen to be in a bigger venue. I have heard them say that it's not supposed to be the "PROGRESS Wrestlemania". Every chapter show is supposed to feel as important as the other, and this one just happens to be in the biggest venue they've ever done

• Paid Members

That's all well and good in theory, but surely if you want to sell out the biggest venue you've ever run then you should put on the best card possible? And Progress advertise themselves as being storyline based and these matches don't really have much build. What makes it stranger is that about 3 potential big storyline matches they could have had on the show they've blown off in the past few months.