The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Chapter 37 was a really fun show, all in all.

Bubblegum/Mambo was a nice outing. Bubblegum will always have a spot in PROGRESS as the animated, cartoon villain and Mambo looks more and more comfortable within the ring every time he performs. Seemingly a few communication, timing, and placement issues (such as the two standing atop the turnbuckle for the best part of 45 seconds, without doing much) but nothing unforgivable. Nothing immense here, but they got the crowd involved, which is what you can expect from an opener.

KLR/Kimber Lee was another sound match. They managed to combat the awkwardness of the crowd not being too familiar by chucking one another round for a while, and that seemed to do the trick. Good showing from Kimber Lee, and Kay Lee established herself well as a heel ahead of her presumable announcement into the upcoming NPS series. Another match which achieved the objective.

Aichner was probably the highlight of the whole night. What a surprise! Going in, I wasn't wholly sure what to expect. A short WWE match was all I'd seen, yet by the end of his match, I was desperate to see more of him. He came off like a total star, from his look, to his ring-presence, to a springboard crossbody that attained stupid heights, to his springboard-moonsault, which popped EVERYONE. I presume his opponent, Drake, was supposed to come out of the match looking great, presumably because he'll be around more, but he was never going to top the performance of Aichner. Fantastic stuff, and hope to see him back soon.

Fourway bout was fun, and the way they worked around Strickland's absence was well done in my opinion. Lots of staggered selling may of harmed this one, but that's the end product of every multi-man match. Some of the changes in dynamic, such as the implementation of comedy in the match seemed slightly out of place, but that may have just been me. Transitioning between "super serious match to determine the best man" and comedy spots fairly often hurt it a little. They did some multi-man spots that weren't the norm, which was incredibly refreshing to see, and the action moved quickly. Despite not usually doing much for me, Coffey stood out amongst the others, despite some of the spots designed to showcase his strength didn't particularly work perfectly. The finish seemed a little of out nowhere as well, which is in no way a bad thing, but the match could have been extended and the finishing stretch a little longer. I hope I don't sound too negative on this match, because I genuinely did enjoy it. Post match segment, though telegraphed, was a highlight of the show, and the inevitable blow-off will be a must-see.

PETER

FSU/SPTT/Origin was the perfect blend of comedy, and serious wrestling. The Origin maintain their status as being the most entertaining aspect of a PROGRESS show, FSU get to flip around the ring, and SPPT come out of the match looking strong. Went slightly longer than I expected, but again, that's an observation rather than a complaint. Everyone got a moment of shine, everything flowed well, everything looked good. Add into that the fact you have a new team circulating around the title picture, makes for a really good match.

Couldn't get into the ATLAS match, sadly. I like Rampage, and enjoy his matches, but I can't bring myself to care about anything to do with Whiplash within a PROGRESS environment, which is a shame. Maybe the fact it was him answering the open challenge rather than a more deserving opponent was meant to garner a muted reaction, but it really did nothing to make the crowd care. His recent tenure within PROGRESS has been so dull, I doubt anyone could care about this match.

The main event was again, a very good wrestling match. Gibson has been a great wrestler for a long while, and the fact that he's now being given the appraisal for it is much deserved. Odd indeed having a Gibson match with a split crowd, especially given his usual heat garnering routine in PROGRESS, but if anything, the split crowd only enhanced the match. Everything looked like it was going to be the ultimate coming-out party for Gibson. A hot, split crowd, the lack of interference from his Origin buddies, the fact he was more than holding his own against the champion. To have him lose very closely is another good booking decision - it opens up a further range of questions. How does this impact his Origin relationship? Will his popularity in Manchester run over into London? How can he beat Haskins the next time they meet? Though this wasn't the coming-out party Gibson wanted, his time as champion is surely coming. He's my early favourite for next years SSS:16 tournament, if he hasn't won the belt by that point. I'd like to say more about Haskins, truly, but for the most section of the match he was just "there" - a foil for Gibson if you wish. Nice to see a clean PROGRESS finish though.

As I said, a really good show. Perhaps the best Manchester one, ahead of Chapter 24. Only one dull match out of seven is good going, and when paired with a really, really hot crowd - it will always make for a great show.

Edited by AdamTH17

Announced last night Chapter 39 the men's matches will double as a tournament to determine the vacant title.

Also announced is Nixon Newell v Katey Harvey as part of the Women's Natural Progression Series to determine the inaugural Women's Champion.

The tournament is as follows:

Jimmy Havoc v Marty Scurll

Will Ospreay v Matthew Riddle

British Strong Style (Pete Dunne & Trent Seven) v London Riots (James Davis & Rob Lynch) (Tag Title rematch from Chapter 36)

Pastor William Eaver v Joe Coffey

The South Pacific Power Trip (Travis Banks & TK Cooper) v Lee & Jim, The Hunter Brothers (also a No.1 Contender Match for the Tag Shields)

Main Event 7-Man Elimination Match for the vacant Title.

It's a shame about the circumstances. Haskins has been on a roll all year. Certainly my main pick for UK Wrestler Of The Year. It culminated at Chapter 36. But his health comes first and foremost. Especially with a young family in mind. Hopefully he can come back stronger.

Seems a bit of a weird rush job to crown a new champion doesn't it? Also, was completely caught off guard by a combination of a late-running train and the insanely quick sellout and didn't get a ticket. I'm guessing my chances are slim on that Twickets or whatever?

Last two matches on Sunday were utterly outstanding I thought. Jinny/Pollyanna pretty much redefined false finish overkill though, bloody hell!

Seems a bit of a weird rush job to crown a new champion doesn't it? Also, was completely caught off guard by a combination of a late-running train and the insanely quick sellout and didn't get a ticket. I'm guessing my chances are slim on that Twickets or whatever?

Last two matches on Sunday were utterly outstanding I thought. Jinny/Pollyanna pretty much redefined false finish overkill though, bloody hell!

Coincidentally I think someone made a post similar to yours on Facebook. Jim replied saying that around 70 of the 700 tickets end up being relisted, IIRC - so you have a decent enough chance if you have your alerts on. There's usually a huge influx of listings in the week leading upto the show.

Gutted I'm not going to be there for 39, Ospreay/Riddle and Havoc/Scurll would normally confirm my attendence, but can't justify another 6-hour coach trip Sunday night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Does anyone know if Demand Progress works well if viewed on the Internet Explorer app on the Xbox One?

EDIT: Also can anyone recommend a good place to start watching the shows. Heard from a few that the production is a bit dodgy early on.

Edited by Sir Steve Redgrave

I found all the pivotshare demand sites (Progress, ICW, PCW, CZW etc) to be pretty poor on every device I tried. Until I bought a roku stick, ÂŁ25 from Argos, and they all work a treat, no issues at all.

I don't bother with any demand sites now unless they have an app on roku.

• Paid Members

Jimmy Havoc v Marty Scurll

Will Ospreay v Matthew Riddle

British Strong Style (Pete Dunne & Trent Seven) v London Riots (James Davis & Rob Lynch) (Tag Title rematch from Chapter 36)

Pastor William Eaver v Joe Coffey

The South Pacific Power Trip (Travis Banks & TK Cooper) v Lee & Jim, The Hunter Brothers (also a No.1 Contender Match for the Tag Shields)

Main Event 7-Man Elimination Match for the vacant Title.

Wow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Really looking forward to The Graps of Wrath tomorrow, I've no idea who will become the new PROGRESS champion, but as much as I enjoy the Hunter Brothers, F.S.U. replacing them makes the tournament bracket more interesting.