The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Just got tickets for the PTNTL and ENDVR shows in Balham in August. Drink in that pub quite frequent as I work up by Clapham Common.

What can I expect from both shows? And what's the venue like for wrestling?

The venue is really cool with the balcony. PTNTL will be an almost exclusively student show, while ENDVR will have higher level trainees and some non-trainee matches. 

Finished Day 2 of SSS16 last night. Probably my favourite Progress show so far. All the matches were enjoyable. Bearing in mind that I don't watch ENDVR who is Roy Johnson? Really impressed me in the wasteman challenge.

Card for Sunday looks solid, looking forward to it.

I thought day 1 was actually the better card top to bottom. Haskin-Dunne was great, even better knowing the condition Haskins was in. Bit late to the Progress party, but the Haskins story being played out over the pass few months has been great, I'm assuming he would of just followed Andrews route to the final and then go on to face Whiplash this weekend, so hopefully he's back and continuing that, he's match with Scrull a few months ago was great story telling.

Chris Hero proved yet again why he's probably one of the best in the world at the moment. He had 3 different matches with 3 different types of wrestlers over the weekend and all were fantastic. His match with Mark Andrews deserves all the plaudits it's getting, great little man vs big man match, the big man match with Big Daddy Walters was a great big man match, but probably 3rd of his matches this weekend, and then the storyline driven match with Tommy End in a hard hitting match. Hero's Morishima-esque body type and aura just adds so much more than how he used to be, in my opinion. Hero Vs Villian, should sell itself, don't smell a title change unfortunately, but haven't finished Evolves shows this weekend so he might be coming in as Evolve champion anyway.

Zack Gibson grows on me show by show, and really liked his match with Kenny Williams. Never been a fan of Callian, like his work but not his gimmick so have trouble looking pass that, haven't seen Matt Cross since his Resilience days, outside of his look, still does his same old shtick and does it very well. And the Riots and Orgin was a well done brawl with lots of twists and turns and great to finish of London Riots rise to the titles over the pass few months following th SDS stuff. And Jack Gallagher is an awesome throwback and his day 2 he had a really good match with Gibson.

I thought day 1 was actually the better card top to bottom. Haskin-Dunne was great, even better knowing the condition Haskins was in. Bit late to the Progress party, but the Haskins story being played out over the pass few months has been great, I'm assuming he would of just followed Andrews route to the final and then go on to face Whiplash this weekend, so hopefully he's back and continuing that, he's match with Scrull a few months ago was great story telling.

Chris Hero proved yet again why he's probably one of the best in the world at the moment. He had 3 different matches with 3 different types of wrestlers over the weekend and all were fantastic. His match with Mark Andrews deserves all the plaudits it's getting, great little man vs big man match, the big man match with Big Daddy Walters was a great big man match, but probably 3rd of his matches this weekend, and then the storyline driven match with Tommy End in a hard hitting match. Hero's Morishima-esque body type and aura just adds so much more than how he used to be, in my opinion. Hero Vs Villian, should sell itself, don't smell a title change unfortunately, but haven't finished Evolves shows this weekend so he might be coming in as Evolve champion anyway.

Zack Gibson grows on me show by show, and really liked his match with Kenny Williams. Never been a fan of Callian, like his work but not his gimmick so have trouble looking pass that, haven't seen Matt Cross since his Resilience days, outside of his look, still does his same old shtick and does it very well. And the Riots and Orgin was a well done brawl with lots of twists and turns and great to finish of London Riots rise to the titles over the pass few months following th SDS stuff. And Jack Gallagher is an awesome throwback and his day 2 he had a really good match with Gibson.

Gibson's gimmick just lends itself so well to the adult crowds on the Brit scene and he works the crowd so well. Him reciting the exact same promo for the second time that day was hilarious. His match with Gallagher was really great fun (Boo/Yay pin trades). Hero had a shitload of good matches but the one versus Big Daddy Walter was my fave just because it was a bit different to everything else. Like has been mentioned he would have been a big deal if he had sorted out his appearance. Scurll v Hero should be top notch. Callihan is terrible, can't think of any redeeming features. Not sure if it was just because of a blown spot in the corner but Callihan using that insane tombstone as a a non-finish was everything people criticise indy wrestling for rolled into one.

Finished Day 2 of SSS16 last night. Probably my favourite Progress show so far. All the matches were enjoyable. Bearing in mind that I don't watch ENDVR who is Roy Johnson? Really impressed me in the wasteman challenge.

I'll tell you one thing. He's no wasteman

I'll tell you one thing. He's no wasteman

Ha. A quick google revealed a youtube video with the exact title 'Who is Roy Johnson' too. 

• Paid Members

I think they seem to be positioning Mark Haskins as the next big babyface in Progress which I'm not sure about. He's a good wrestler but he doesn't really have any character, and on a scene filled with loads of great characters it's hard for me to get behind him. The fact that the slogan on his t-shirt is "Underrated" says it all really. He's a good wrestler but he's completely forgettable. Give the man a gimmick! Even his entrance music is bland.

And I agree on the praise Zack Gibson is getting. If Marty wasn't so bloody good I would put the title on Gibson pronto. He's fucking marvellous. The full package.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

"Generic rock song" by The Generics?

boytoy, Roy Johnson is from Progress's training school. He hasn't been in the business long. His in ring stuff needs quite a lot of work still but he's improving all the time, character and charisma though is off the charts.

Agreed with comments on both Haskins and the Bodyguy. Not sure on Haskins being underrated, he had his plaudits for what 7 years now? The only Progress match he's had that really grabbed me was the title match against Ospreay.

Edited by Tuna Taco

• Paid Members

Any idea what his theme is out of interest?

Haskins? It's 'Nowhere to Hide" by Crobot.

I also don't get this "underrated" thing either. He's been consistently presented at the very top of the UK scene since 2009 with those main events with Pac, Zack, Marty etc. and very much presented as DG:UK's home 'ace', and was hardly an unknown before that.

I maybe think it's a case where he 'disappeared' for a couple of years while he was contracted to TNA, so by the time he got back out there again things had moved on and there were a whole load of new stars, new high profile promotions and new fans.

Edited by Big Benny HG