The UKFF Awards 2000!

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Thought of this when updating the UKFF awards history thread. The awards only started in 2002. Be interesting (maybe) to see how people would have voted for previous years. Thought I'd start with one most people will remember:

Add your pick and a reason for each category. I didn't leave all the categories in - that would be a bit arduous. Just wanna pick one or two, go ahead.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000:

Best Match of 2000:

Best Event of 2000:

Greatest Moment of 2000:

Funniest Moment of 2000:

Best Tag Team of 2000:

Breakout Star of 2000:

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000:

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000:

Worst Match of 2000:

Worst Event of 2000:

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000:

Here are my picks:

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Without the benefit of hindsight, I would have said Benoit. But fuck him, so I pick Triple H.

Best Match of 2000: This is hard as fuck. I think I'd probably just go for Triple H vs. The Rock Iron Man at Judgment Day. Awesome match, brilliantly booked and with an awesome surprise at the end.

Best Event of 2000: Royal Rumble. Trips/Foley was awesome, Hardys/Dudleys excellent and a brilliant Rumble match. One of my favourite PPV's ever.

Greatest Moment of 2000: Again, incredibly hard to pick one. Being at the height of my smarkdom (I'm normal now, honest) it would have to be The Radicals debut on Raw. I think I literally shat my pants.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Mae Youngs tits. Maybe not.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Probably The Dudleys. The were awesome all year and ridiculously over.

Breakout Star of 2000: Got to be Kurt Angle hasn't it? I know he'd debuted in 1999 but considering where he was at the start and the end of the year, he launched like a Rocket. If they'd put him over Trips around Summerslam, he could have been even bigger.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Jim Ross for me. Some of his Austin-love-in was overbearing but generally he was first class every week.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Oklahoma. Offensive, shit and pointless. The holy trinity of pro-wrestling booking.

Worst Match of 2000: Sponsored by WCW. Got to be the Malenko/Kidman match from Souled Out where Malenko rolled out of the ring because he forgot that touching the floor would end it. What a dickhead.

Worst Event of 2000: *Puts most WCW PPVs into a hat and picks one". I think I'd go Uncensored. It was the last PPV before the (excellent) reboot Nitro and it was hideous. There wasn't a match on that show anyone needed to see (again) and everything going in and coming out was lame.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: "I did it for The Rock".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Great thread idea! Here are mine:

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Chris Jericho, marginally ahead of Benoit and Angle

Best Match of 2000: TLC- SummerSlam (Edge & Christian VS Dudleyz VS Hardyz). Cactus Jack VS Triple H @ Royal Rumble a close second, Triple H VS The Rock iron man match third. Underrated I feel, 60 minutes and I wasn

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Kurt Angle

Best Match of 2000: Six Man Armageddon Hell in the Cell/ Triple H vs Mankind Royal Rumble

Best Event of 2000: Fully Loaded

Greatest Moment of 2000: Rikishi's Cage/Hell in the Cell Heroics

Funniest Moment of 2000:Mean Street Posse on Sunday Night Heat, changing the who faces Tazz (?), at least I think that's 2000!

Best Tag Team of 2000: Kai en Tai. INDEED!

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Ric Flair was CEO of WCW at this point?

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Chaz

Worst Match of 2000: Evening Gown Match from King of the Ring Patterson vs Brisco

Worst Event of 2000: WCW Halloween Havoc 2000

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Arquette Winning the WCW World Title

• Paid Members

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Without question, Triple H. He was on top, drawing some massive PPV numbers and ratings and was having the best run of matches in his career. Triple H was as good as any heel I've watched in 2000 and was drawing like a top cunt too.

Best Match of 2000: Triple H v Cactus Jack - Royal Rumble 2000. Possibly Triple H's Les Demoiselles d

My opinion:

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: The Rock. With Austin on the shelf, he became the defacto face of the WWF and had a string of excellent main event PPV matches throughout the year and of course was the best on the mic.

Best Match of 2000: Already mentioned but the Judgement Day iron man match was awesome. Was completely different to the prior WM12 one and for me far more entertaining.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash 2000. Always had a soft spot this, loved the main event and the pop for Austin was insane. There is a huge hidden gem in the Malenko / Scotty 2 Hotty match along with a solid undercard.

Greatest Moment of 2000: Jericho's 5 minute title run, until they ruined it and overturned the result

Funniest Moment of 2000: Rocks promo before the Armageddon Hell in a Cell match, taking the piss out of the other 5 guys in the match

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge & Christian. Any of the TLC 3 could take this but for me they were the most entertaining outside outside of matches and were just as good as the others when the bell rang. The 5 second poses were awesome.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle, without a doubt. Had an excellent first full year and winning the title by the end of it. Had some great matches with HHH, Rock and Jericho.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: JR, cant really think of any others that stands out for the full year

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Vince Russo had a match so he counts. And all of his booking of course too.

Worst Match of 2000: The Patterson / Brisco hardcore bra & panties match at King of The Ring.

Worst Event of 2000: Don't recall any really bad WWF events during 2000 and the only WCW one I saw was Slamboree (yes, the Arquette one) so that pretty much wins by default.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Wrestlemania 2000. Bar the triangle ladder match was a underwhelming Mania

• Moderators

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: I remember thinking Benoit was heads above everyone else that year, but infanticide causes a change, and it's now Kurt Angle.

Best Match of 2000: Goldberg and Scott Steiner beating the shit out of each other wins this one. What a match.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash 2000. Still one of my favourite ever shows.

Greatest Moment of 2000: Steve Austin comes back at Backlash.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Kanyon giving everyone the Diamond Cutter

Best Tag Team of 2000: 15 year old me says KRONIK. 28 year old me goes for the Dudleys.

Breakout Star of 2000: Probably Kurt Angle. 2nd place for Lance Storm. Special mention to Ernest Miller.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: David Arquette won a WORLD TITLE! Nah, probably Don Callis in ECW for me. What a promo.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Two of them. One's called Don, the other Ron.

Worst Match of 2000: "WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO NOW? IMPROVISE?"

Worst Event of 2000: Spring Stampede, you messy messy bastard. Far too much going one. Great to watch as a teen. Somehow more confusing as you get older.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: "And there's nothing Vince McMahon can do about it!" Not a sale to SFX as many expected, but the awful Goldberg heel turn.

• Paid Members
Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Mick Foley (post-retirement). Good GM to be fair.

Ashamed that I forgot Commissioner Foley. Great shout.

The Cage Splash at King Of The Ring was monumental. The Hell In A Cell one was complete bollocks.

Worst Event of 2000: I remember watching a tape of Slamboree 2000 at my mates house and thinking it was pretty terrible. In fact, a few WCW PPVs were pretty shoddy in 2000.

It's a shocking PPV but the Triple Cage main event is miraculously good.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Rocks promo before the Armageddon Hell in a Cell match, taking the piss out of the other 5 guys in the match

Excellent shout:

Best Match of 2000: Goldberg and Scott Steiner beating the shit out of each other wins this one. What a match.

WCW Match Of The Year easily. Definitely in my top 5 overall. They don't really work, they just kick the shit out of each other. Awesome.

Breakout Star of 2000: Probably Kurt Angle. 2nd place for Lance Storm. Special mention to Ernest Miller.

Storm is a great shout. Though somewhat forgotten because the company slid down the toilet throughout the year.

Worst Event of 2000: Spring Stampede, you messy messy bastard. Far too much going one. Great to watch as a teen. Somehow more confusing as you get older.

I still like it. You're right, it's messy. In fact it's downright mental but it's far more entertaining than anything else they did.

I started filling these in, then realised that Rock/HHH were appearing in almost every positive category. I've actually re watched a lot of WWF 2000 recently on youtube (I'm currently between Backlash and Judgement Day) and it's a lot of fun.

The main event at Backlash is tremendous and my favourite ending to a match ever, with Fat Austin growing some serious chair shots. So the answers to the first four categories in Rick's opening post all come from that event.

Angle is a lock for Breakout Star, and the biggest disspoaintment for me was probably how the Love Triangle ended, with HHH going over cleanly.

There's no standout funny moment that I can remember, but a lot of stuff involves the APA, and them playing cards with Mae Young was class. A lot of the Harcore 24/7 stuff with Crash Holly was funny too. Any time Rock used his It Doesn't Matter catchphrase too.

A lot of the worst of the year would be from WCW, but as I've never really watched it I can't comment. The worst of the WWF therefore was any women's match that Brisco/Patterson/Wippleman competed in. Just pointless.

• Paid Members

A good topic, this. Great idea.

I'll come up with my own list later, but I'd also like to suggest, for a later date, more threads like this, for earlier years, especially the 80s. Also, 1996 would be good too.

The Cage Splash at King Of The Ring was monumental. The Hell In A Cell one was complete bollocks.

The cage splash was at Fully Loaded in the IC title match, can't even imagine what was going through Val Venis's head when that fat fucker came flying down!

• Paid Members

The cage splash was at Fully Loaded in the IC title match, can't even imagine what was going through Val Venis's head when that fat fucker came flying down!

Ah you're right. KOTR was a straight match because it was in the tournament.

I love Fully Loaded 2000. I was a massive C**** B***** fan so I went apeshit when he "won the title". If I'd been on the UKFF at the time, I'd have bashed about a post about the three young guys should have gone over to make new stars. it worked out alright though.

I still think they should have put the title on Benoit that night though. Genuine star-making opportunity IMO. I really liked the role Shane was playing with him too. He was made for it.

• Awards Moderator

What a great idea for a thread!

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: The Rock. I couldn't vote for anyone else, as he took his superstardom and turned it into megastardom as the top face all year long.

Best Match of 2000: the frankly outstanding Triple H v Jericho Last Man Standing. I can take or leave both of these guys but the epic feel of this one really hooked me in. It also features one of my favourite bits of commentary, "he was up at 10, down at 11".

Best Event of 2000: Fully Loaded. The Venis v Rikishi cage match, Triple H v Jericho Last Man Standing (see above). Rock v Benoit was good until the Dusty finish. Lots of properly entertaining undercard too.

Greatest Moment of 2000: Stone Cold's run-in at Backlash 2000. Chair in hand, lays waste to the ring and resets the universe. Vince doesn't know where to look. Makes the mark in you bounce up and down with excitement.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Directly from TV Tropes:

When Mick Foley was the commissioner he once told Al Snow that he was giving him a title match. Al responded with "I have a match against The Rock for the WWF Title?!" Cue spit-take from Foley, who proceeded to explain that he was talking about the Hardcore title.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge & Christian were everywhere and coming up with something new every week. Excellent inside and outside the ring.

Breakout Star of 2000: Can't be anyone other than Kurt Angle.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Commish Foley. Until Butch mentioned it I'd forgotten but this and the Credgeley stuff was darn hilarious.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: It's not quite fair this one, I'd rather have "worst moment" but I have to mention David Arquette. Just miserable for everyone involved.

Worst Match of 2000: It has to be the evening gown match. I know it's a gimmicky piece of fun, but it's clearly one of those things that Vince and the boys found hilarious, and everyone else just shakes their heads sighing. Like watching someone else's stag party video.

Worst Event of 2000: Bash at the Beach 2000 for that horrible mess with Jarrett and Hogan. All that Russoriffic work/shoot/shootwork guff.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Rikishi ran down Stone Cold. Here's an angle with intrigue, and a whole buncha spidery outcomes depending on what you need, and you get this lame "I did it, fer da Rock" ending. Their match was OK but hardly required an angle of this labour.

Archived