The UKFF Awards 2000!

tiger_rick

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000:The Rock

Best Match of 2000: HHH, X-Pac, Benoit, Malenko, Saturn vs Cactus Jack, Rikishi, Too Cool and the Rock.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash 2000

Greatest Moment of 2000: James Brown's appearance at SuperBrawl.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Vince's reaction to the Rock Rock Bottoming both Shane and HHH through the Spanish announcers table at Backlash.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Hardy Boyz

Breakout Star of 2000: Lita

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Trish Stratus

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Sid

Worst Match of 2000: Al Snow and Steve Blackman vs Test and Albert

Worst Event of 2000: King of the Ring

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: WrestleMania.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I might have a proper crack at this later on, but this thread so far just goes to show how fucking brilliant WWE was in 2000. I can remember virtually every good match, angle and promo that has been mentioned and there will be many that I have never actually seen since they first aired.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Triple H owned this year. From his pay per view outings with Cactus Jack, The Rock, Jericho, Benoit, to his tv matches with Rikishi, Taka Michinoku, and Bob Holly the guy was having blinders from January right up until September with everybody.

Best Match of 2000: Triple H vs Cactus Jack at The Royal Rumble, brilliant build up, a really good crowd and just a wonderfully dramatic, bloody, violent match. Still holds up today

Best Event of 2000: Backlash 2000, really good tag team opener between Edge and Christian and DX, brilliant light heavyweight match with Scotty too Hotty and Dean Malenko, a wonderful comedy squash with Kurt Angle and The Showster, and a white hot main event, just a superb event.

Greatest Moment of 2000: "but I think the wwf fans deserve a substitute in that match and what I'm going to Triple H is introduce him right now, I think you know the guy, and I think you know him pretty damn well, his name is Cactus Jack and his first official act as part of the wwf is to kick your teeth all over the city of Chicago" an amazing segment.

Funniest Moment of 2000: "Michael Cole, I will break your ass in half you little shithead" Bob Holly tells it as it is

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian, mute vampires to goofy Bill and Ted type Heels the 5 second poses were inspired.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle just got better and better all year

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Mick Foley, the backstage skits with Edge and Christian were some of the funniest segments they had done at that point.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Tank Abbott, bugger me with a fish fork, he was fucking rotten.

Worst Match of 2000: Tank Abbott vs Big Al - Skins match at Superbrawl, I have no idea who thought this was a good idea the two of them didn't have a clue, and then there was the nonsense with the knife after the bout.

Worst Event of 2000: Superbrawl 2000 when James Brown is the best thing on the show you know you're in trouble

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Rikishi running over Austin

• Paid Members

That James Brown segment was as good as anything from 2000. Fantastic surprise and a wonderful little moment. Ryan Shamrock broke kayfabe it was so good. She didn't care if she got fired, she was dancing away.

New Blood Rising was the worst pay-per-view of 2000. Possibly the worst event ever. Just a butchered card. Superbrawl and Uncensored didn't look good in the first place. NBR's card looked pretty decent on paper, but horrendous booking and amazingly stupid ideas killed each match.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Chris Benoit

Best Match of 2000: 10 man tag featuring the Radicalz and DX vs Too Cool and Cactus and the Rock

Best Event of 2000: Backlash

Greatest Moment of 2000: Kane's return in the aforementioned 10 man. Not because of the Kane return, but the reaction and the angle to end the show and all that just makes me think of a time when everything seemed right in wrestling.

Funniest Moment of 2000: The blood from the top of the arena missing Kevin Nash and Nash no selling the specs of blood that fell on him.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle of course

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Mick Foley if he counts. He had fine run as Commissioner.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: the Dirt Bike Kid.

Worst Match of 2000: Lance Storm vs Mike Awesome

Worst Event of 2000: NBR

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Lance Storm coming to Canada when WCW could have made a star and did a horrible butchering of his match

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Yeah, probably HHH. I never really rated him from when he first came in and feuded with the Godwinns and those guys or even when he married Stephanie but this was his year. I enjoyed everything he did except the fact he didn't turn when he should have with the Kurt Angle feud.

Best Match of 2000: Called me a softy but Dean Malenko vs. Scotty 2 Hotty. What a great little surprise lodged into Backlash and fantastic pacing, action and just an awesome looking finish.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash 2000

Greatest Moment of 2000: For me, Jerry Lynn winning the ECW title. But overall I would have to agree with Jericho winning the title despite what happened afterwards.

Funniest Moment of 2000: The McMahons hunting Stone Cold. Especially Shane McMahon, he was brilliant in that segment. Actually just remembered Christian trying to lose weight to fight for the Lightweight Title on Heat, just great stuff with a cool cameo from Kurt at the end

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian. Just the complete package really fun gimmick, great mic skills and great in ring.

Breakout Star of 2000: Scott Steiner. Seriously. despite WCW falling apart around his ears, Steiner still became the incredible Big Poppa Pump character, had great matches with Booker T, Goldberg and others and looked a billion dollars. Kurt Angle is joint first too because he was just fantastic all round.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Shane Mcmahon. I think he counts but his whole suicide mission was compelling viewing and he was quite the fun heel too.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: David Flair. Shit on every level.

Worst Match of 2000: Oklahoma vs. Madusa. Awful match.

Worst Event of 2000: Think it was Superbrawl 2000. Every match was just the pits.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Kurt Angle/ HHH/ Stephanie McMahon love triangle just fizzling out.

Terrific idea Rick! I always remember the thread below being such a great read, clearly something everybody is extremely enthusiastic about overall actually:

The "WWF-in-2000-was-ace" Thread - http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=128121...;p=2479433&

It might suggest a load of stuff for those yet to vote, I'm off to have a read now before I cast mine.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Triple H.

Best Match of 2000: Triple H vs Cactus Jack, Royal Rumble.

Greatest Moment of 2000: Undertaker returning at Judgment Day

Funniest Moment of 2000: Edge's birthday party on Raw.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: WCW relaunch

This is a hard topic for me. I was watching in 2000, kinda, through whatever VHS tapes my mates would lend me/what I could find at the video shop (remember those?). Pretty much everything I saw in 2000, I loved it all. I re-watched a lot of 2000 stuff in the last year when putting events I had on VHS on my hard drive. Royal Rumble, No Way Out, Wrestlemania, Backlash, Judgment Day, Fully Loaded, Summerslam and Survivor Series were all top quality events, the best roster and creative I think WWE have ever had. I can't add much to what people have already said, but just wanted to express how much I loved that era, or at least, what was available to me.

Considering the amount of WCW stuff making the "worst" list, I'm extremely grateful I've always been a WWF/E guy.

A couple of quick thoughts-

Benoit couldn't be Pro-wrestler of the year in my eyes, not for the whole killing thing, but part of being a pro wrestler is the ability to hold their own in angles and promos, and Benoit was abysmal at that. Great between the ropes, but so was Dean Malenko, and we're not calling him the best pro wrestler in 2000. Triple H runs away with it for being the complete package, as a bastard heel with the McMahon-Helmsley regime, and being involved in two of my favourite matches- vs. Cactus Jack at the Rumble and vs. Chris Jericho at Fully Loaded.

Kurt Angle was really brilliant, wasn't he? When he debuted, he seemed okay, and I wasn't totally sold on him, seemed a bit shaky on the "stick" (oh myyy) and a bit too quick when wrestling. He learnt very quickly to improve in all areas and was ace in that love triangle thing with Hunter and Steph. His rapid ascension, both up the card and in skill level, were amazing. Really hope he gets himself together enough for a final WWE run.

• Paid Members
Benoit couldn't be Pro-wrestler of the year in my eyes, not for the whole killing thing, but part of being a pro wrestler is the ability to hold their own in angles and promos, and Benoit was abysmal at that.

He was over to the point where he main evented WrestleMania 4 years after it. What do promos matter if you are over for something else? Batista is a useless promo as a babyface, but he's a massive star. So was Goldberg. What makes you a great wrestler is if people see past your flaws and accept you for your undoubted strengths. Because everyone has flaws in their act. And as far as week to week and pay-per-view to pay-per-view Benoit was the best wrestler they had for years.

Benoit couldn't be Pro-wrestler of the year in my eyes, not for the whole killing thing, but part of being a pro wrestler is the ability to hold their own in angles and promos, and Benoit was abysmal at that. Great between the ropes, but so was Dean Malenko, and we're not calling him the best pro wrestler in 2000.

It's harsh to lump Benoit in with Malenko. Malenko was technically alright, but absolute shite at everything beyond that. No presence, no charisma, no excitement at all to him. He was utterly boring in the ring. Benoit wasn't my cup of tea, but he was nowhere near as bad as Malenko. I still think you'd have to be crackers to pick Benoit as man of the year, though. He'd be far behind the three SummerSlam main-eventers at the very least.

Benoit couldn't be Pro-wrestler of the year in my eyes, not for the whole killing thing, but part of being a pro wrestler is the ability to hold their own in angles and promos, and Benoit was abysmal at that.

He was over to the point where he main evented WrestleMania 4 years after it. What do promos matter if you are over for something else? Batista is a useless promo as a babyface, but he's a massive star. So was Goldberg. What makes you a great wrestler is if people see past your flaws and accept you for your undoubted strengths. Because everyone has flaws in their act. And as far as week to week and pay-per-view to pay-per-view Benoit was the best wrestler they had for years.

But we're not talking about 4 years later, we're talking about the year 2000. I'm not saying Benoit wasn't over or that he wasn't great, but he wasn't the best in 2000, the roster was too loaded with superstars at the top of their game. Triple H was the best in 2000 at everything, Benoit was terrific bell to bell.

It's harsh to lump Benoit in with Malenko. Malenko was technically alright, but absolute shite at everything beyond that. No presence, no charisma, no excitement at all to him. He was utterly boring in the ring. Benoit wasn't my cup of tea, but he was nowhere near as bad as Malenko.

That's fair, I was just using Malenko to hammer home my point of technical wrestling not being the be all end all, especially with so much elite talent in that year. But you're right, Benoit was extremely charismatic in his wrestling style, the intensity and emotion made audiences care about him. I was a big Benoit fan back in the day, I didn't really intend to slight him at all, more pointing out as talented as Benoit was, the roster was so richly talented that there were a handful of guys superior to him in 2000.

• Paid Members

The fact he got over to the level he did with 10% of the TV time Triple H, Angle, Rock or Steve Austin had was a credit to him. You're only the "best at everything" if you are allowed to be the best at everything. Its ridiculous to throw it off like there's no way Benoit could be considered the best wrestler of 2000, when most of the polls were either won by him or Triple H. Taking into consideration he was totally the opposite of what got over at the time, its amazing he main evented PPVs with the Rock 6 months after his debut. You mustn't have a good grasp for the wrestling landscape at the time if you are passing Benoit off as "the wrestling guy". It wasn't like it is now, where you can have a bearded 5'8" bloke having 20 minutes on Raw. People were into him because of his intensity during a time when that didn't happen. To start the year off in WCW which was falling apart to then walk out and become a house hold name and knock up the body of work he did was mind boggling at the time. It was like WCW did fuck all with him for years and suddenly he's a big star feuding with the Rock. That was a huge deal at the time to people.

Not that I want to defend a child murderer of anything.

Yeah, I covered that in my first post that I was a bit shaky on the year 2000. I was 10 years old and we didn't get Raw/Smackdown. I only saw PPVs and a lot of them were in the years following, so that'll skew some things. Caught up on some angles through various compilations over the years, like the Attitude Era blu-ray. Was Benoit really a "household name" though? I didn't think he ever achieved that mega-level of popularity, even once he "won the big one".

Just based on what I've seen, I enjoyed Triple H's work more, and he ticked more boxes. But that's me, and I don't mean to disregard Benoit's work, I really enjoyed a lot of his stuff with Jericho and Angle, so I could see how someone else would appreciate his body of work. He was absolutely a huge asset to the shows I watched, just not the undisputed #1 for me.

• Paid Members
Worst Match of 2000: Tank Abbott vs Big Al - Skins match at Superbrawl, I have no idea who thought this was a good idea the two of them didn't have a clue, and then there was the nonsense with the knife after the bout.

Was the end of that match with the knife at Al's throat supposed to happen? Did Tank lose the plot?

Archived