The UKFF Awards 2000!

tiger_rick

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Triple H was the daddy in 2000, Benoit or no Benoit. The first half of the year especially, he was absolutely sensational. Nobody came close to matching what he was doing in 2000.

Best Match of 2000: Triple H vs. The Rock at Judgment Day 2000 in the Iron Man Match. It's actually my favourite match ever. Just high drama all the way and the final moments tip it over the edge.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash 2000. Superb show. The main event was insanely heated, the opener was fun, Malenko busted out one of the better finishing moves I've seen and the majority of the undercard was fun at worst.

Greatest Moment of 2000: Speaking of the above, it has to be when Steve Austin came out at Backlash 2000 and started cleaning house.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Christian talking about the JFK assassination at Fully Loaded 2000 is my winner here, although The Undertaker's patter on that show nearly edges it. "I'll give you my medical opinion. Kurt Angle's gonna need a doctor. To surgically remove my foot from his ass."

Best Tag Team of 2000: Got to go for The Hardy Boys in this one. Edge and Christian did some great stuff but I thought the Hardys had a great year for the most part.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle by a mile, although it has to be said that Rikishi had a good breakout year too. Not on the level of Angle of course, but everything he was involved in was heated.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: I'll go with Mick Foley on this as well. Relationships were certain guys throughout were fun too, like with Edge and Christian he was always a ton of fun.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Can't really remember enough of the bad to do anything with this.

Worst Match of 2000: The same as the above, but I remember being bored as fuck at the six man at the end of King of the Ring 2000 so I guess I'll have to go with that.

Worst Event of 2000: Not gonna attempt this really. I'd HAVE to go for King of the Ring 2000 but in reality, it wasn't a bad show. Only by 2000 standards in WWE.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Rikishi being the guy that ran over Austin was the one for me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Worst Match of 2000: The same as the above, but I remember being bored as fuck at the six man at the end of King of the Ring 2000 so I guess I'll have to go with that.

And Rock pinning Vince to win the title from HHH was a bit shit too. Agree with the match being shite, although Kane chokeslamming Shane through the announce table from the top rope was awesome

I haven't seen this since the time it aired but I remember laughing like crazy at it: When did Kurt Angle do his Undertaker entrance on a scooter? That was in the build up to Fully Loaded right?

Yeah and I think the whole build of that angle was Kurt damaging Takers bike

I haven't seen this since the time it aired but I remember laughing like crazy at it: When did Kurt Angle do his Undertaker entrance on a scooter? That was in the build up to Fully Loaded right?

Aye. I think that led to another belting line from The Undertaker as well. Think it was something like "I'll punch your teeth so far down your throat, you'll be able to chew your own ass." or something.

• Awards Moderator

• Paid Members

Cheers. Full thing is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...c-VPHzAY#t=2003. It brilliant. "My bad".

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000:

Definitely had to be Triple H. He was unstoppable that year. Having great matches on every PPV, and was such a great heel too. His feuds with The Rock, Mick Foley and Kurt Angle were tremendous indeed. He and Stephanie were just awesome heel bastards.

Best Match of 2000:

I would say The Dudleys vs Edge & Christian vs The Hardy Boyz TLC match at SummerSlam 2000. A tremendous stunt filled spot fest. I cringed when Lita took that Spear and almost knocked herself the fuck out when her head almost hit a ladder. Christ on a bike.

Best Event of 2000:

Backlash without a doubt. WWF put on some great PPVs that year (besides King Of The Ring, Unforgiven and Armageddon), but that tops it with such great matches as Scotty II Hotty vs Dean Malenko, Edge and Christian vs X-Pac and Road Dogg, and The Rock vs Triple H. That fucking pop The Rock got when he won the Title was huge. The show also featured a drunk Debra doing the ring announcing before she was sent home. Also infamous for Channel 4 totally butchering it by pixelating X-Pac juicing and freezing the screen when Bubba Ray Dudley put Trish through a table. That proper enraged me as a 14 year old violence crazed boy.

Greatest Moment of 2000:

Steve Austin smashing the shit out of people with chairs at Backlash 2000. Followed closely by Rikishi leaping off the cage at Fully Loaded. That was sheer insanity. I'm surprised Val Venis was still breathing.

Funniest Moment of 2000:

Edge & Christian post SummerSlam thirty seven second pose with the midget impersonators of The Dudleys and Hardys. Edge & Christian were comedy gold throughout 2000. The segment where they ripped the piss out of The Hardy Boyz's old backyard videos was golden too.

Best Tag Team of 2000:

Edge & Christian. Entertaining throughout the entire year in matches and angles.

Breakout Star of 2000:

Kurt Angle. I can't think of anyone other than Kurt. To think he was saddled with a gimmick where he was "boring" a year prior.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000:

Commissioner Foley. I was gutted when they stopped that gimmick around December, but it probably was for the best before I got fed up with him. His segments with Edge & Christian were superb.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000:

I can't think of one. So I'll say Ric FUCKING Blade if he was around back then.

Worst Match of 2000:

Gerald Brisco vs Pat Patterson at King Of The Ring was bad. Really bad. The only saving grace was when Crash Holly did a run in.

Worst Event of 2000:

Superbrawl 2000 was absolutely shit. Boring from top to bottom. Featuring such stinkers as The Mamalukes vs David Flair and Crowbar in a stretcher match, some shit Harris Boys match I don't care to remember, a "Special Main Event Match" between The Kiss Demon and The Wall, Lex Luger vs Hulk Hogan, and Terry Funk vs Ric Flair (which saddened me as they had fantastic matches 11 years prior). Terrible.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000:

"I did it for The Rock. I did it for the people". I couldn't believe they turned Rikishi when he was shit hot over with the crowd. His heel run was so, so disappointing, and he never recovered from it since.

• Paid Members

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Without a shadow of a doubt, Triple H. Just phenomenal stuff, certainly up until about September anyway. Wasn't the biggest fan of his face stuff. I loved his slow face turn against the back drop of Angle always hitting on his wife, and I was pretty into it all up until about Summerslam when he was still playing like a twiner role (face v Angle, but still a heel v The Rock). But the first 9 months of the year he was absolutely sensational both in and out of the ring.

Best Match of 2000: So many Triple H ones to choose from. The Iron Man v The Rock, the Street Fight v Cactus Jack, the Last Man Standing v Jericho. But I'm going to go with the match v The Rock at Backlash. I've said it before numerous times on here over the years; that match is PPV main even perfection from the era. It just had absolutely everything. It had more of a 'Big Match" feel than the main event of Mania just one month earlier. I could watch that match over and over again.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash

Greatest Moment of 2000: Its such a close call between Foley being backdropped through the Cell at No Way Out in February or Stone Cold doing his run-in at Backlash. Its so crazy to think I was just 16 when all this was going on, and I was still properly "marking out~" to a lot of this stuff.

Funniest Moment of 2000: I can't pick an exact moment, but pretty much everything to do with Edge, Christian and Commissioner Foley was golden.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian. Its mad, at the time, I much preferred the Hardyz. But as I said, I was 16 and I guess I was their target demographic and I bought into them. But I often looked back at stuff from 2000 and Edge and Christian were just so on form for the whole year. It was a great period for tag teams in general though, wasn't it? Dudley Boyz, APA, Edge and Christian, The Hardyz, New Age Outlaws (at the start of the year) and the Road Dogg and X-Pac after that.

Breakout Star of 2000: Nobody can challenge Kurt Angle for this one. He is a pretty good shout for funniest moment of the year too. His whole feud with Taker in the build up to Fully Loaded is classic stuff. The delivery of "my bad" after he wrecks Taker's bike still cracks me up.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Foley. As covered above his Edge and Christian stuff had me in stitches.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Naked Mideon?

Worst Match of 2000: Stuff like the Evening Gown match is obvious, but then, that match never had any chance of being good. I always class stuff like this by thinking about bad matches that SHOULD have been better. X-Pac and Road Dogg are/were two of my favourite and they had a match at Summerslam after a few weeks of a dispute which led to the long over due break up of DX. I was really excited about the match, but it was a total dud and a complete snorefest.

Worst Event of 2000: I didn't watch a lot of WCW at the time. WWF was on fire though, and didn't have a bad event, so while I wouldn't call it a bad event (just a notch below a pretty high standard) King of the Ring wasn't as good as the majority of their PPV's that year. Pretty sure Unforgiven in September was poor-ish too. Good card on paper, but it didn't all click together for whatever reason.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Rikishi being the one who ran over Stone Cold. The groan that came out of the crowd at the time was pretty damning.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: It's gotta be Triple H, he had a fantastic year. His heel character was spot on and you couldn't wait to see him get his arse handed to him every time he stepped into the ring. Looking back i actually can't think of a single big match he had that year that he didn't deliver in.

Best Match of 2000: Triple H VS Cactus Jack - Street Fight(Royal Rumble 2000) This is one of my favourite matches of all time and any time i watch it even now it never fails to blow me away, it's just a superb match and both Trippers and Mickles were on top form and delivered big time.

Best Event of 2000: Royal Rumble 2000 - This was a tricky one for me. It was a toss-up(ooh-err missus, etc) between this and Fully Loaded but RR just edges it out, mainly down to the aforementioned Street Fight and then of course you have the amazing Hardys/Dudleys Table Match, the Rumble match itself and Tazz making his debut against an undefeated Kurt Angle.

Greatest Moment of 2000: The Undertaker returns. I think it's safe to say everybody knew or at least had a feeling it was 'Taker who was coming back at Judgement Day but nobody could have predicted he'd come out on a fucking motorbike dressed in denim and leather while Kid Rock was blasting through the arena speakers.

Funniest Moment of 2000:

To be honest i could have picked almost any of the 24/7 skits as they were all pretty cool but this one stands out for sheer ridiculousness of it i mean come on, you have Crash hitting a hurricanrana off a rope swing and a flying clothesline into a ball pit what's not to love

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian. Like everyone else has said you could pick any one of the 3 TLC tag teams and it would be for the same reasons so I'll go with E&C.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle. Easy choice really, had fantastic matches with the likes of Chris Jericho, The Rock, Triple H, The Undertaker and even guys lower down the card like Crash Holly, Rikishi, and Tazz

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Mick Foley. Commissioner Foley was an absolute gas, he could be super serious when it was needed but more importantly he could provide some cracking comic relief in backstage skits.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Gerry Brisco or Pat Patterson. Yes i know we weren't meant to take them seriously or anything but come on! Who the hell thought they should get a run each with the Hardcore Title let alone actually defend it.

Worst Match of 2000:

Worst Event of 2000: WrestleMania 2000. This was a tricky one for me as i enjoyed all of WWE's PPV's from this year but i think this takes it simply because for a WrestleMania card it had a shockingly average line-up.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Rikishi ran down Stone Cold. Nobody bought it so they swapped him with Triple H and forgot they'd ever mentioned Rikishi.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: The Rock, wouldn't have been the same without him.

Best Match of 2000: 6 man HIAC at Armageddon, loved this & wish they would do it again.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash, just ahead of Summerslam, should have been what WM wasn't.

Greatest Moment of 2000: Rock winning the title at Backlash 2000 with Austin's help.

Funniest Moment of 2000: JR & King's arguing on commentary always made me lol.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge & Christian just ahead of the Hardyz.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle, from winning KOTR he got better & better as the year went on.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Has to Foley, can't really think of anyone else for this.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Mideon.

Worst Match of 2000: Brisco vs Patterson KOTR.

Worst Event of 2000: KOTR, outside of Angle/Jericho & the main event not much good on this show by 2000's high standards.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: The Angle/HHH/Steph love triangle storyline not having a proper finish.

• Paid Members
Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Without a shadow of a doubt, Triple H. Just phenomenal stuff, certainly up until about September anyway. Wasn't the biggest fan of his face stuff. I loved his slow face turn against the back drop of Angle always hitting on his wife, and I was pretty into it all up until about Summerslam when he was still playing like a twiner role (face v Angle, but still a heel v The Rock). But the first 9 months of the year he was absolutely sensational both in and out of the ring.

Best Match of 2000: So many Triple H ones to choose from. The Iron Man v The Rock, the Street Fight v Cactus Jack, the Last Man Standing v Jericho. But I'm going to go with the match v The Rock at Backlash. I've said it before numerous times on here over the years; that match is PPV main even perfection from the era. It just had absolutely everything. It had more of a 'Big Match" feel than the main event of Mania just one month earlier. I could watch that match over and over again.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash

Agreed with most of this. Wrestler of the year for me would have to be Trips. Completely came into his own this year, the first 8 months of the year he was simply phenomenal. The perfect top heel for the company as this time and the perfect antagonist to The Rock, helping The Rock truly explode into the mega star and coolest person on the planet he became this year, Trips role in that shouldn't be overlooked. Incredible PPV main events at The Rumble, Backlash, Judgment Day and held things together wonderfully when Angle was out of it at SummerSlam. As well as top drawer TV encounters with Rikishi, Taka, Benoit, Jericho, that epic 10 man with The Radicalz and Too Cool and probably loads I'm forgetting. It wasn't just in matches either, the rest of his work was world class. He made a fat, unkempt man pulling off his shirt to reveal a t- shirt incredibly powerful with his facials and reactions selling it. Absolutely world class.

Best Event;

2000 was an incredible year for WWE. Up until the end of the summer they had a ridiculously strong year on PPV with WrestleMania only being the real disappointment. Fully Loaded and SummerSlam were tremendous, but Backlash is one of their strongest cards top to bottom ever. Had this card been the 'Mania show (perhaps only swapping the tag title encounter in) which it quite easily could have been, it would be remembered (quite rightly) as the greatest WrestleMania of them all, full of 'Mania moments and a perfect 'Mania show finish.

Breakout Star;

Obviously Kurt Angle, but Edge and Christian have to get a nod too. People forget they weren't really anywhere quite yet at the start of the year, even after No Mercy '99 and actually teasing a split early on. It wasn't until WrestleMania, capturing the tag belts and turning heel that they truly arrived and became one of the best all round acts on TV for the remainder of the year. Which makes them the definite Tag Team of the year also.

Non-Wrestler - Foley was magnificent in the Commissioner role. Perfect spot for him post - retirement and still probably the best authority figure post Vince there's been.his backstage bits were genuinely an absolute riot to watch. His stuff with Edge and Christian and Kurt Angle in particular, but also Rock, Al Snow and others remain some of the company's best comedy they've ever done.

Worst Wrestler - Bull Buchanan

• Paid Members

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Triple H of course. From September-Dec he was pretty tiresome but that 9 month run was just spectacular. Everything he touched turned to gold. Booked perfectly as Champ. He was a dastardly heel who cheated to win but when it came down to it you knew that he could win on his own if he had to. You loved to hate him.

Best Match of 2000: TLC, Summerslam 2000. After the spectacular Wrestlemania ladder match, expectations for this were through the roof and we were all still blown away. For better or for worse, this match was revolutionary. Despite hundreds of ladder & TLC matches since...nothing has ever come close.

Best Event of 2000: Tough one, because the first 6 months of the year had 4 of the best wrestling shows in history on them. I would go with Royal Rumble overall though. The title match was like nothing ever seen before in WWF at that point. Definition of an epic match truly exceeding the already huge expectations. Perhaps both mens finest hour.

Greatest Moment of 2000: The Rock winning the title at Backlash. HHH's reign was so well booked and protected at the time I couldn't imagine him ever losing the belt. But seeing Earl Hebner's hand come down for the three, my jaw dropped and I was over the moon. It really felt like The Rock had earned the title.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Edge's birthday party. "Kazoos rule!"

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian. Amazing in the ring, amazing out of it. They held the spectacular tag team division together. Throw in Kurt Angle or Mick Foley and you've got solid gold.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle. Went from a boring new heel to quickly being the new MAN. And it all felt natural and not forced because of how fucking talented he was. "I'm the first Euro-Continental Champion in history...well except D'Lo Brown, but he doesn't count."

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Commissioner Foley

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Bull Buchanan was a definite shit stain on an otherwise great roster.

Worst Match of 2000: Brisco/Patterson bra and panties. What the fuck were they thinking?

Worst Event of 2000: Wrestlemania 2000 was just a massive disappointment at the time. Looking back at the card...it's dreadful for the most part. There was only one singles match and it was between Terri Runnels and The Kat! T&A vs Head Cheese...if it wasn't for the triple threat ladder match this could have been any episode of Raw or Smackdown at the time.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Austin's return. He effectively ruined the greatest creative run in wrestling history. It just got significantly less fun when he turned up.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Triple H. The man was a beast in 2000. Starting off an incredible year with a blinder against Cactus Jack at the Rumble and a lesser remembered Hell in a Cell, Triple H went on to further heights with his amazing matches with The Rock (particularly his Iron Man Match at Judgement Day and Backlash). His Last Man Standing Match with Chris Jericho was stunning and always comes up highly when people talk about stipulation matches. Later in the year his matches with Angle, Benoit and Steve Austin at least added energy to pay per views.

Best Match of 2000: Cactus Jack vs Triple H - Royal Rumble - What a match! The storyline worked perfectly, the action was brutal and the match story and structure was second to none. I can honestly say it was a 'star making' match. Triple H looked like a monster and the beating he took slingshotted him to superstar status as did Randy Orton's Hardcore Match with Foley 4 years later. Just stunning.

Best Event of 2000: Fully Loaded. I don't know how anyone can argue with this choice. We had Triple H vs Chris Jericho, Rock vs Benoit and Angle vs Taker. The cage match where Rikishi nearly killed Val Venis was fun. Of course, looking back at the cards in 1998-2000 there was a lot of shit on the card too. Rose tinted glasses really are bliss!

Greatest Moment of 2000: Austin storming the ring during HHH vs Rock main event at Backlash 2000. The crowd pop was off the charts.

Funniest Moment of 2000: Mae Young getting her baps out at the Rumble. Lawler was hysterical and the crowd lost the plot!

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian clinch it for me purely on personality, character and overall in ring work. Whilst I loved their series with Dudleys and Hardys I found the other two teams didn't quite have the character to pull off the 'best team' for me.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle. Not even a year in and he was having wonderful matches with a variety of opponents. He impressed me against Benoit, Jericho and later The Rock. Overall it was a sign of things to come with such a stand out year. I can only think of one other wrestler (Brock Lesnar) who can come close to the level of excellence Angle had within a year of his debut.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Mick Foley as commissioner. Couldn't be faulted. Fun, comical and a wonderful personality to add to an active roster. I loved his interactions with Edge, Christian and Angle.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: I can't think of a specific one. There were a lot of stinkers around this time. Just look at most WWF and WCW cards and you can pick any number of average workers (at best).

Worst Match of 2000: Bra and Panties King of the Ring *cringes*

Worst Event of 2000: I HATED Wrestlemania 16. For a Wrestlemania I just thought it was the shits. Throwing a load of guys out there for the sake of it. Multiman matches that didn't work. Most of the matches fell flat IMO.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000:RIKISHI! Of all the people to run down Steve Austin! RIKISHI! I was expecting something BIG like a major WCW name. RIKISHI! I am still disgusted to this day! Second would be the 'Love Triangle' with HHH, Steph and Angle that never quite got going.

The first 8 months of 2000 are probably my favorite period in WWE history. Rock, HHH, E and C and Foley made it a pleasure to watch.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: The Rock. The main reason why WWE had its most profitable and critically successful year, he was the perfect figurehead for the time.

Best Match of 2000: HHH vs Cactus Jack I have not seen this for years, but it was a fantastic brawl, might still be the best match of HHH's career in my opinion, which is really saying something.

Best Event of 2000: Backlash 2000 An all round great card, with a real feel good ending

Greatest Moment of 2000: An extension of the above, Austin's run in at Backlash

Funniest Moment of 2000: Big Show as Hogan.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Comiss Foley The segments with E and C were a riot

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: The Wall Did not watch much WCW that year, but this guy from memory stands out as being useless. WWE had no one who really offended me.

Worst Match of 2000: Naked Mideon vs Regal - No Mercy

Worst Event of 2000: WCW Bash at the Beach

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: Austin's hit and run I really felt WWE went down the pan creatively after Summerslam that year.

Best Pro-wrestler of 2000: Triple H.Was at the absolute peak of his powers that year.

Best Match of 2000: Triple H vs Cactus Jack-Royal Rumble

Best Event of 2000: Summerslam.TLC match,cracking 3 way for the WWF title,Benoit/Jericho 2/3 falls,and Blackman vs Shane was great fun.

Greatest Moment of 2000:Chris Jericho unexpectedly beats HHH for the title,crowd goes insane.

Funniest Moment of 2000:Edge and Christian's movie screening of the Hardy's crappy teenage home video promos.

Best Tag Team of 2000: Edge and Christian.Dudleys and Hardys were great in the ring,but E+C were fantastic in ring and on the mic.

Breakout Star of 2000: Kurt Angle shades it ahead of Just Joe.

Best Non-Wrestler of 2000: Mick Foley as the commish.

Worst Pro-wrestler of 2000: Chyna.Everything she was involved with was fucking horrible.

Worst Match of 2000: Pat Paterson vs Gerald Brisco evening gown match at KOTR.No need for such shite on PPV when the roster is stacked.

Worst Event of 2000: Survivor Series was a letdown.Austin apparently murdering HHH by dropping his car off a cherry picker was ridiculous.Taker wearing those dodgy snake skin trousers when he was wrestling Angle didn't help either.

Biggest Anti-climax of 2000: No follow through on the HHH/Angle/Steph love triangle storyline.

Archived