Kurt Angle Vs One Direction

Nick Soapdish

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it even matters a tiny, tiny bit, but it's not him in the match, not least because the one in the match is a wrestler and not a popstar. The switch is made when he rolls out of the ring as the interviewer speaks to Angle at the start, then made back when he's talking to the other band members at the end. Just a bit of fun. It does seem mental that TNA haven't plugged the fuck out of it from the moment it was planned though. Whoever said it is spot on, Vince would have monetised this really really well.

I don't blame TNA for not advertising it too much, at the end of the day most people who watch Impact won't give a fuck about One Direction. I know I don't and it won't make me tune in. They should be using this to make themselves known to One Direction's fan base. Get them to post a few tweets about it and if they are actually fans get them in the front row and such. There's loads they could do, but advertising it to their fan base isn't top of the list

• Paid Members
TNA is pretty well established and known in Britain, anyway, which is where '1D' are most popular, naturally.

You didn't read the previous posts then where everyone has mentioned how huge 1D are in the States, and arguably bigger than they are over here?

TNA is pretty well established and known in Britain, anyway, which is where '1D' are most popular, naturally.

You didn't read the previous posts then where everyone has mentioned how huge 1D are in the States, and arguably bigger than they are over here?

I didn't know, I try to avoid them wherever possible.

I don't blame TNA for not advertising it too much, at the end of the day most people who watch Impact won't give a fuck about One Direction. I know I don't and it won't make me tune in. They should be using this to make themselves known to One Direction's fan base. Get them to post a few tweets about it and if they are actually fans get them in the front row and such. There's loads they could do, but advertising it to their fan base isn't top of the list

I don't really understand your point.

There's not one marketing strategy for your fan base and another for everyone else. There's just your marketing strategy. How do you not advertise it too much, but at the same time advertise it to the 1D fan base?

Deliberately playing something down so as not to offend the 1 million people who watch Impact will only ever result in the same million people watching Impact. Any chance a wrestling promoter has to seem relevant within the sphere of popular culture they should take it.

Vince doesn't bring in celebrities to please the people who are already watching the show, he does it for everyone else. The people who aren't watching. The good thing about the core audience is that they rarely turn off. So you never have to worry about them too much. TNA have kept roughly the same audience through good and bad for precisely that reason. They should be whoring themselves out to get other people watching.

Think your missing my point. TNA don't need to plaster 1D all over their website because the people who use their website won't care. They should use 1D to bring in new fans, so the advertising needs to be aimed at the people not already watching their show. It should be aimed at One Direction's huge fanbase. Tenay and Taz talking about One Direction isn't going to make a bit of difference to anything to the people already watching

• Paid Members
Think your missing my point. TNA don't need to plaster 1D all over their website because the people who use their website won't care. They should use 1D to bring in new fans, so the advertising needs to be aimed at the people not already watching their show. It should be aimed at One Direction's huge fanbase. Tenay and Taz talking about One Direction isn't going to make a bit of difference to anything to the people already watching

Whilst I don't completely disagree with you, I think you're underestimating (or possibly unaware, which is totally forgivable) quite how fanatical & pervasive One Direction's online fan base is. Doing the above IS going to achieve that.

Case in point - at some point in the last couple of years, one of the guys from One Direction was one of the answers on BBC's quiz show, Pointless, in that round where they show you pictures of 4 people and you have to identify the one you know that you think least people would have known. Neither team gave the 1D guy as an answer. But, within minutes, something like #1DonPointless was the number 1 worldwide trend on Twitter.

Stick a picture of Kurt with 1D on the TNA website, 1D fans are going to find out and start visiting.

Have Tenay & Taz talk about how Kurt met them this week, 1D fans are going to start turning on your TV show within minutes.

They're a fucking insane fanbase, and will look at/watch ANYTHING with their boys on it. Even if they don't (initially) give the slightest shit about pro wrestling.

I think your missing the point.

If you're going to exploit this to move numbers then you need to be able to direct any potential new viewer/customer to something of yours (a product, a service. Whatever.). You're never going to distill the information you want to give them in a single tweet, and a long list of information on Facebook or whatever would be boring and people would soon switch off. So, you send them to your website, an online interactive experience where this new potential fan can be entertained, interested and learn all they need to know about where they can catch your show so they can see their floppy haired heroes and all the exclusive photos/clips you've saved for Impact.

If they can't find that information, or the first picture they see is off a flabby titted Anderson waving a leather vest (and the second and third are equally as unedifying) then you're fucked. They'll get bored and go back to finger banging themselves over the latest 1D music video.

There's absolutely zero proof that this might have moved numbers by even one viewer, but its got a better chance than anything else they've got on their show. It's certainly the only route TNA may ever get into the popular consciousness, even for five minutes.

• Paid Members

The surprising thing about this is that if 1D are massive in the states then what the fuck are they doing with TNA

Had they gone the WWE route this would have been all over Raw. The people who cheer Cena are kids, I am guessing that most 1D fans are kids. Instant crossover appeal and both parties get something out of it. TNA have gained nothing from this and they could really do with the publicity.

Archived