Kurt Angle Vs One Direction

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

So apparently yesterday wasn't Dr Who Day, it was 1 Direction Day. Member Liam wanted to be a wrestler, so faced Kurt in an Impact wrestling ring. The crowd was probably normal size for Kurt recently, but given them more exposure then hulk had in a year in 1 6 minute video. Here's a link to the vid Kurt vs Liam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, they hype the shit out of Tito Ortiz and Pacman Jones and this just appears online?

They should have treated this like fucking gold dust. Hyped the living shit out of it. It'd have probably spiked their ratings more than a million RVD's or whoever ever could.

That finisher is pretty cool, for a small high-flyer type. Like an X-Factor with the legs. Honestly don't believe I've ever seen that exact move before.

I'm pretty sure it's been used in TNA before. Can't remember his name when he wrestled in TNA but Johnny Yuma of the RockNES Monsters uses it.

They're fucking huge in the States.

Far bigger than here, by all accounts. They get the whole packed airport upon arrival, sold out arenas and army of fans wherever they go treatment. They opened a 1D pop-up store near the Rockerfeller centre in NYC recently and practically shut the city down.

It's probably the biggest celebrity appearance wrestling has had in ages. Including WWE. Certainly, its one of the very few occasions where the celebrity isn't just massively popular but also massively relevant.

It's mental that this hasn't been better promoted.

I'd say 1D are the most popular active pop act in the states. Absolutely enormous. Can't stand them myself but it's incredible publicity and TNA seem to be doing nothing with it. Could you imagine what Vince would do in this situation? My goodness.

I mean, to be fair to TNA they probably had no control over when or how this was filmed, and the fact there's another host suggests that it was for another company to broadcast.

But fuck me, that's ONE DIRECTION pissing about with arguably TNA's biggest star.

Take a shit load of pictures, film an arse load of interviews and arm yourself with a cache of exclusive footage; then, hype the living shit out of it (get the 1D boys to retweet, their fan pages, any TNA affiliated pages) and then drip it out over the course of one, maybe two broadcasts. Make it so these 1D fans have to watch every minute of your show so they don't miss a single smile or flop haired wink.

Jesus. It's fairly simple.

For anyone that's interested, this story isn't one of the lead stories on the TNA website and isn't even treated to an accompanying picture on the front page. It just has THIS STORY and THIS STORY buried on the front page as though its less news worthy then Anderson waggling a leather vest in the air.

He was good as well, clean and athletic. I was disappointed when it ended! That they did that is massive but only if they promote the fuck out of it. If they did it on Impact, they'd just have him stood at the top of the ramp with his arms folded. Which would still be big I suppose.

Archived