Kurt Angle Vs One Direction

Nick Soapdish

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on it all is that's it's very tongue and cheek and meant to be that way. Angle 'getting jobbed out' on on a TV show means very little in the grand scheme of things for TNA. It's no worse than when you'd get Roddy Piper or someone appearing on Going Live in the 80s with Trevor and Simon. Hardly something that a wrestling fan is supposed to take seriously.

I don't really get the comments some have made over this being a poor way to publicize for TNA either? Surely One Direction appeal more to the young female demographic than the male and without dragging up a sexist debate surely wrestling appeals to the male population more than the female? It was just what it was, a harmless skit and a sideshow feature on a day devoted to a boyband.

Is it that mad to say that if this footage had been kept hidden and promoted to be included (if not exactly featured) on a PPV, it would have gained momentum and following online with the One Direction fans and earnt them a good few more buys? Nothing more than a one night thing, then you get a heel come out to gloat at Kurt's expense and Kurt fucks them up good and proper to immediately save face. The key here is not in what the finished product was, more in what they could have gained from telling people it was going to happen. It wouldn't even be a bait and switch because there the boys are, actually there and everything. The One Direction fans would have had their money's worth and maybe, MAYBE some might accidentally become TNA fans as a result. And TMZ and some other outlets would pick up on the build AND the execution rather than just having one 'here's One Direction and a wrestler' video link on their site.

When WWE had K-Fed coming in, my Mrs had heard it was happening via a gossip rag, then asked me to show her what happened on Raw, then saw a picture of him and Cena a week later in Heat or whatever. It didn't make her a fan as such, but it put the product in her sphere of awareness for a couple of weeks. TNA could have and should have at least achieved that with this.

My take on it all is that's it's very tongue and cheek and meant to be that way. Angle 'getting jobbed out' on on a TV show means very little in the grand scheme of things for TNA. It's no worse than when you'd get Roddy Piper or someone appearing on Going Live in the 80s with Trevor and Simon. Hardly something that a wrestling fan is supposed to take seriously.

I don't really get the comments some have made over this being a poor way to publicize for TNA either? Surely One Direction appeal more to the young female demographic than the male and without dragging up a sexist debate surely wrestling appeals to the male population more than the female? It was just what it was, a harmless skit and a sideshow feature on a day devoted to a boyband.

Wasn't it recently said that over 40% of WWE's viewership was female? I'm sure I rememeber something along those lines being banded about and anyway, the WWE has a pretty big teenage girl "fandom" from what I've seen on Tumblr and the like.

Is it that mad to say that if this footage had been kept hidden and promoted to be included (if not exactly featured) on a PPV, it would have gained momentum and following online with the One Direction fans and earnt them a good few more buys? Nothing more than a one night thing, then you get a heel come out to gloat at Kurt's expense and Kurt fucks them up good and proper to immediately save face. The key here is not in what the finished product was, more in what they could have gained from telling people it was going to happen. It wouldn't even be a bait and switch because there the boys are, actually there and everything. The One Direction fans would have had their money's worth and maybe, MAYBE some might accidentally become TNA fans as a result. And TMZ and some other outlets would pick up on the build AND the execution rather than just having one 'here's One Direction and a wrestler' video link on their site.

TNA/Angle did this for One Direction, not the other way about. The whole thing was built around a day of events for the band, with Angle being one tiny, insignificant part of it. What would 1D have to gain from telling their fanbase to pay to watch a 5 minute skit in a 3-hour wrestling PPV?

People are seriously overthinking this. At best this should have been a 2 minute highlight video on Impact, in the same way you would see guys appearing at the Nickelodeon awards and such back in the 90's. It's not a game changer. It wouldn't have added any extra viewers or PPV buys if promoted. It might have gotten them a mention on a few celeb websites but that's about it.

Wasn't it recently said that over 40% of WWE's viewership was female? I'm sure I rememeber something along those lines being banded about and anyway, the WWE has a pretty big teenage girl "fandom" from what I've seen on Tumblr and the like.

So he's right then

• Awards Moderator

TNA/Angle did this for One Direction, not the other way about. The whole thing was built around a day of events for the band, with Angle being one tiny, insignificant part of it. What would 1D have to gain from telling their fanbase to pay to watch a 5 minute skit in a 3-hour wrestling PPV?

People are seriously overthinking this. At best this should have been a 2 minute highlight video on Impact, in the same way you would see guys appearing at the Nickelodeon awards and such back in the 90's. It's not a game changer. It wouldn't have added any extra viewers or PPV buys if promoted. It might have gotten them a mention on a few celeb websites but that's about it.

Well, as things stand it got a decent mention on the Daily Mail website - which has a fair amount of focus on Angle and TNA. It even plugs their UK tour at the end!

I'm also not sure how TNA doing it for One Direction day not the other way around really makes a lick of difference? And surely the "John Cena on Nickelodeon" or whatever argument is miles off because that grossly, grossly underestimates the impact of One Direction? I was at Disney World the other day and it's not an exaggeration to say I saw as many kids in 1D t-shirts as I did Mickey Mouse ones. They're the biggest thing since sliced bread, globally. These cases should all be viewed individually as to what impact that celebrity would have at the time. My K-Fed example above was down to the fact he was hot property in celeb-land at the time. Mike Tyson was smooth as snake shit when WWE used him because of the Holyfield thing and him being locked out of Boxing (and by extension, a squared circle). It works both ways - if you think I'm booking Nick Turturro for Wrestlemania now that NYPD Blue's finished you've got another fucking thing coming. These things are always about striking while the iron's hot, and this iron was hot enough to burn through Ben Mitchell's arm.

That Daily Mail article HarmGen linked is some of the best press TNA has ever had. That site is enormous, it's got TNA, Impact and Kurt all over it, and even plugs the tour. And will get read by a gazillion people because of the One Direction mentions. Imagine how many more examples of that they could have got.

I'm talking like I'm arsed here, I'm not really, it's only TNA. I still think it's a dropped bollock though.

So he's right then

Without splitting hairs those stats, if true, are quite surprising. I go to plenty of shows around the UK scene so I'm not daft enough to think that wrestling doesn't appeal to some girls but such a high stat does surprise me. I still maintain that IMO this whole episode is all about One Direction with TNA and Kurt Angle merely co-stars in the whole parade.

Archived