Kurt Angle Vs One Direction

Nick Soapdish

You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. There isn't a long list of information to give people, Kurt Angle and Liam from One Direction had a bit of a fuck about in front of a few people. One Direction posting a bit on twitter telling their fans that wrestling is cool, TNA is their favourite and Angle is Liam's hero is a lot more beneficial than TNA ramming it down their existing fans throats that Kurt was hanging out with 1D

Only just seen Statto's reply and that is actually mind boggling. I knew they were big, but what the fuck? Still think 1D bigging up TNA would do more for TNA than TNA bugging up 1D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. There isn't a long list of information to give people, Kurt Angle and Liam from One Direction had a bit of a fuck about in front of a few people. One Direction posting a bit on twitter telling their fans that wrestling is cool, TNA is their favourite and Angle is Liam's hero is a lot more beneficial than TNA ramming it down their existing fans throats that Kurt was hanging out with 1D

Only just seen Statto's reply and that is actually mind boggling. I knew they were big, but what the fuck? Still think 1D bigging up TNA would do more for TNA than TNA bugging up 1D

Being pretentious and of the weird belief that professional wrestling is somehow above, or cooler than, One Direction is mental.

Pro wrestling is great entertainment, at times, but its gutter entertainment and any chance to rise above that and into the popular consciousness (where there's lots of people with lots of disposable income) should be taken. Christ, WWE pretty much built their house on that very strategy.

Never work in PR Gay Tats. 'Let someone else do it so as not to upset an existing, unprofitable audience' is a poo strategy.

Also, you missed my original point. You're right Kurt and 1D did just have a piss about and that's probably the end of it. That's their problem. TNA's media manager should have been there taking as many pictures and filming as much exclusive footage as they could get. Then they should be dripping that out over the course of their programming to try and bump numbers.

As someone mentioned, 1D have the most bonkers fan base. They'll follow them anywhere, buy anything. TNA should have been the shameless carnies that wrestling demands they be, and get as much out of it as possible. They've not bothered.

How many times do you see the words 'EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE' or the like on WWE programming or online? They know to squeeze blood from a stone and that you need to keep people coming back.

If Kelly Brook gets into bed with you, you don't turn the lights off and go to sleep. You ask to see tit and beg for a shag. You just do.

Being pretentious and of the weird belief that professional wrestling is somehow above, or cooler than, One Direction is mental.

Pro wrestling is great entertainment, at times, but its gutter entertainment and any chance to rise above that and into the popular consciousness (where there's lots of people with lots of disposable income) should be taken. Christ, WWE pretty much built their house on that very strategy.

Never work in PR Gay Tats. 'Let someone else do it so as not to upset an existing, unprofitable audience' is a poo strategy.

Also, you missed my original point. You're right Kurt and 1D did just have a piss about and that's probably the end of it. That's their problem. TNA's media manager should have been there taking as many pictures and filming as much exclusive footage as they could get. Then they should be dripping that out over the course of their programming to try and bump numbers.

Never once said anything about wrestling being better than one direction or anything to that effect. The fact that you think it's even remotely about that is really stupid. My point was that TNA's existing steady fanbase won't care. The one million people who watch TNA regardless of if its good or shit won't watch any more than they already do. The 10 000 people who already order their PPVs won't care. So why bother hammering them with loads of information about this? The people who should be targeted are the One Direcion fans who might have never watched wrestling and probably don't even know what TNA is. I thought the point of publicity was to bring new people in? Not advertise yourself to the people who are already as invested in the product as thy are ever going to be.

It has nothing to do with upsetting their audience at all. Don't try and make out that me saying their advertising should be targeted to where it might make a difference is some form of inferiority complex for TNA

How much time will showing the 1D thing on Impact take? What's the worst that can happen if you promote it? Are that fanbase who always watch going to turn off from TNA as a consequence en masse? They've done something with some of the biggest stars in the world. Why wouldn't you put it on TV? You put it on TV and you put it on Twitter. And you put it on your website. And you get on TMZ with it. You do as much as you can with the footage.

The idea of one of their boys getting physical is enough to get them to check it out.

Never once said anything about wrestling being better than one direction or anything to that effect. The fact that you think it's even remotely about that is really stupid. My point was that TNA's existing steady fanbase won't care. The one million people who watch TNA regardless of if its good or shit won't watch any more than they already do. The 10 000 people who already order their PPVs won't care. So why bother hammering them with loads of information about this? The people who should be targeted are the One Direcion fans who might have never watched wrestling and probably don't even know what TNA is. I thought the point of publicity was to bring new people in? Not advertise yourself to the people who are already as invested in the product as thy are ever going to be.

It has nothing to do with upsetting their audience at all. Don't try and make out that me saying their advertising should be targeted to where it might make a difference is some form of inferiority complex for TNA

I don't get how you advertise to these potential new fans without using your existing channels, your website?

If the website is being used solely as safe haven for existing fans then TNA have really missed the point of what a website is, or how strong a marketing tool it can be.

Directing new fans to your website, where they can access all the information they need to investigate further isn't me reinventing the wheel. That's marketing 101.

This jaunt should still at least be edited into a fun minute-long reel and put on Impact. Like has been said, within that minute, hoards of 1D fans will have pounced on it. Hell, they could even try and bunny hop off the link and book the next match to be between some 1D-looking fuckers like Spud and Scurll. Either way, it makes no sense focussing on the audience you have. You have to reach out to casuals and nons, otherwise you're just trying to bleed money from a tiny viewership.

Who on earth is arguing that you have to focus solely on the viewers you already have?

But, the idea you can somehow shield them from the dirty boyband nonsense is mental.

This all seems to come from some weird desire for some people to not be associated with One Direction. I'm not having that if this was WWE, Harry Styles smug gob wouldn't be plastered across the website surrounded by a shitload of plugs for all the shit you can watch or buy.

You advertise to potential new people by using other people's websites, because the people already using your website already know who you are.

There's no infomation for people to access that could be put on the website that isn't very clearly spelled out in the video already.

I went on Liam's twitter account and there was only a picture of him with the belt, no mention of Kurt or TNA. I'd say that's much worse for TNA than TNA not plastering it everywhere

YOU are arguing that you focus on the viewers you already have. Nobody gives a fuck about being associated with one direction if it helps. Its great publicity, they should use it properly. Stop being an idiot

Also, what's to say they won't show it on impact?

You're right.

There's no precedent for directing people to your own website. There's no benefit to it. It's not like people can spend money on your things on your website. In fact I've never seen a tweet or Facebook status that says 'go to joeblogs.com' to learn/see more. That doesn't happen. There's absolutely no potential benefit to having other people browse your website.

It's absolutely for the best that the TNA website is a fiefdom for existing fans.

I mean, am I going mental here?

Is it not marketing 101 to get people directed to a service or a product you provide?

Yes, have the TNA and the 1D twitter feed to mention it, but you need them to direct people somewhere. If you direct them to TMZ or the One Direction web page then you can't control the material they see. Send them to your own page and you can tailor it to get these people interested.

But, websites are marketing tools. They're not there just to entertain the existing fan base. They're there to drive up viewership, increase Internet traffic and maybe make some money. This is the sort of thing, if done correctly from the start, that may have helped do that.

YOU are arguing that you focus on the viewers you already have. Nobody gives a fuck about being associated with one direction if it helps. Its great publicity, they should use it properly. Stop being an idiot

Just not on their website, right?

Also, what's to say they won't show it on impact?

You're so infuriating. The very fact you don't know shows how poorly they've exploited this opportunity.

If this was WWE we'd know when it was being shown, who it involved, where we could access extra footage and how to buy the fucking t-shirt. As it is, the person defending TNA's 'eh...bothered' marketing strategy doesn't even know if they're going to show it on TV.

Jesus wept.

Seriously, you're massively rude for no real reason. There are intelligent posters on this forum who would have every reason to be rude to me, and others, in arguments. You aren't one of them. Stop it.

TNA will benefit most from One Direction sending their fans to look at them. End of

Send them where?

Justin Bieber could fart the alphabet tomorrow and people will forget all about the wrestling related tweet Liam from One Direction sent on a Sunday afternoon. Pop culture moves at a speed of knots. You need to catch lightning in a bottle when you can, hook the marks whilst they're there. The Internet is great for that. Rather than hope that tweet inspires them to watch a show a few days later, you can send them straight to your website and really spell out what you've got, when you've got it and where they need to be to get a piece.

That's my argument in a paragraph.

I won't say it again as I'm boring myself, you and everyone else.

*Edit* so, whilst we've been bickering like girls TNA have put a massive picture of Kurt Angle hugging Harry Styles on the front of their website saying 'click here for the full story'. Their top two stories on the site are One Direction related and their twitter feed has retweeted Simon Cowell. Which is a bit more like it. Their homepage really does have a lot of content on there now, though. Gay Tats will be fuming.

If this doesn't get absolutely bummed on Impact, this company deserves to go down the toilet. An absolutely golden opportunity for them to step outside the odd universe that they inhabit and actually enter modern-day society. If this was WWE, they'd be showing the videos on Raw a million times. If this was WCW, it would probably be match 6 on the Superbrawl card. This is probably going to enrage some people, but I am incredibly envious of One Direction getting to wrestle Kurt Angle and play Celtic testimonials in between playing megadome concerts, having screaming fans everywhere they go and making tons of money. Fair play to them, they're living the dream and seem to be alright guys. You can't really argue against that.

Pretty unrelated, but I'm going to raise a point that has come from Gay Tats' insanely childish wish to keep TNA as this odd elitist club for marks, and say that it really already is that. I watch Impact for the first week in absolute ages with my dad and grandad. The last wrestling match they watched probably involved Mick McManus. My grandad's became fascinated with Impact in that sort of still-kayfabe fringe sport manner that a lot of older non-fans view wrestling. I hadn't watched Impact in AGES so I kind of watched it with the smark hat off for once, and I realised just how impenetrable it was for people who don't watch wrestling. There was loads of insider references that we take for granted, but mean absolutely nothing to a new viewer. The commentary could have been in Spanish and I doubt it would have made less sense to them. The matches themselves were way too long and had very little meaning. Even then, there was gaping holes of airtime that just had no wrestling whatsoever. I have a few friends who have seen wrestling on and tried to watch it for a laugh, only to complain that all they do is talk. There's a huge portion of the public who are willing to watch wrestling because they genuinely just want to see massive guys batter each other, but wrestliers seem too busy calling each other Joe Pancake and trading nearfalls for 15 minutes to even bother trying to get non-fans to watch it.

Archived