WWE's missed chances...

TheShowOff

They've messed up so many angles and pushes in the last 5 years or so I'm starting to think the WWE have genuinely forgotten how to make new stars.

Roman Reigns looks like he has everything and they clearly really like him but I worry they'll somehow fuck his push up too and within 6 months of the Shield Break up he'll be in some shit comedy tag team with Santino.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RVD in 2001 for me.If the trigger had have been pulled on him by beating Angle or Austin for the WWF title or Rock for the WCW title he would have been absolutely massive for years to come.Instead after the invasion finished he was demoted back to the mid card and never reached those heights again,even when he bet Cena for the title 5 years later at ONS.

Eh, they got quite a lot out of RVD. Don't forget that he spent much of his time having boring matches and when they gave him the title and a victory over John Cena he buggered it up himself. RVD can't talk on the stick, he doesn't have a good look (he's not someone you're going to send out to a chat show), he's someone who can bland as all hell when he's not motivated, he's not always clean in the ring nor out of it and he has a style that doesn't click with anyone.

Ryback's probably one of the most recent one (putting aside Daniel Bryan for now) but I'd be going over old ground explaining why I think that. I still don't understand what they were trying to get out of Hell in a Cell and Punk winning. I presume its mainly a lack of faith in both Punk and Ryback.

You have to figure that they could have got more cash out of Goldberg than they did but in hindsight it was always going to be a case of him and the company just not clicking.

• Paid Members
Yeah, when I was 11 I thought Ahmed was THE FUTURE. And in the end he lasted what, two and a half years?

Yeah I definitely thought he was going to be the man. I loved Ahmed, but his injuries really hampered him from becoming- I reckon- the first black WWF Champion.

And how many black (proper black, not half Samoan) WWF/E Champions have there been 17 years later? None! They've lost all faith in black men, it's down to Big E to change that now!

Some fair points about Malenko, I hadnt taken into consideration he was 40 when he got to WWF.

How about Regal? Was it his fault that he didnt get that BIG push towards the gold? I thought it was a cert once he won KOTR. Should WWE have let the dust settle after the wellness policy failing and give him one last push towatrs the WHC?

I'll throw DDP in. Was massively over in WCW and dead in WWE within 2 months. Could have kept his image as it was since there was noone else like him at the time (coming through the crowd) had the bang gimmick which would have shifted merch but decided to job him out to the Undertakers ex.

Could also say Booker T in his fued with Trips, having him win at Mania would have made him an even bigger star. Yes he won the title but i fell they could have got more out of him earlier.

Yeah, when I was 11 I thought Ahmed was THE FUTURE. And in the end he lasted what, two and a half years?

Yeah I definitely thought he was going to be the man. I loved Ahmed, but his injuries really hampered him from becoming- I reckon- the first black WWF Champion.

And how many black (proper black, not half Samoan) WWF/E Champions have there been 17 years later? None! They've lost all faith in black men, it's down to Big E to change that now!

Booker T

Booker T

That was WHC not WWE title. Many feel the WWE title means more thus resulting in the bigger push.

That was WHC not WWE title. Many feel the WWE title means more thus resulting in the bigger push.

Well, it does.

This carnation of the WHC title was created for HHH in 2002 wasn't it?

They really should do away with it now i think and just have one WWE title, Wrestlemania 30 would be the perfect time to unify them.

How about Regal? Was it his fault that he didnt get that BIG push towards the gold? I thought it was a cert once he won KOTR. Should WWE have let the dust settle after the wellness policy failing and give him one last push towatrs the WHC?

As much as I'd love to see it, I don't think he's ever been good enough. He's far better suited as a midcard comedy character, and he's not really even reliable for a great match every time. Unless he's got the right opponent, he's very prone to just having a shit styles clash of a match with his outdated style. Although he did get better at updating his wrestling post-2004, and the modern crop of wrestlers are better suited to working with him than many of the 2000-2008 lot.

When he came back undrugged after the Wellness violation, he was wearing his granny's swimming costume to the ring. They couldn't put a world title on that. The problem is that he's got enough bad points (and not enough good points) that there's always been someone more suitable for the big titles than him.

I think at best, Regal could've been a good Evil Authority Figure that built to one or two big ppv matches with a Triple H or Cena, but that's about it.

Scott Steiner. Listen to the reaction he gets at Survivor Series 2002. Instead of having him come out and fuck guys up they put him in a high profile series of matches with an over-roided Triple H who wasn't exactly in the prime of his career. Steiner's bad foot didn't help their cause but WWE putting him in 20 minute long slugfests with Triple H really was a huge fuck up on their part. I mean he didn't even get on the card at Mania XIX. A few months later he was in a comedy team with Test and Stacy Keibler and by the end of the year he was released. Really bad on WWE's part.

While i disagree they fucked up Bryans push, i mean he's over in a huge way now and i don't see him slipping anytime soon, my pick here would have to be A-Ry. Sure he's not the greatest talent in the world, but there was a point when he split from Miz where he was over HUGE and they did nothing with it. It's not always ability that is needed, sometimes it's just a connection with the fans, and at that point A-Ry had it. He could have been much more than he became for sure, not saying he would be the next megastar of WWE though lol.

I'm 100% sure the only reason A-Ry used to get a decent pop was because of his cool as fuck entrance music.

I'm 100% sure the only reason A-Ry used to get a decent pop was because of his cool as fuck entrance music.

Co-signed. Goddamn that music was awesome.

But also, Miz was very over as a heel at the time, so having a rookie turn on him as a plucky underdog worked perfectly. So it was probably a mixture of cool music and crowds wanting someone, anyone, to smash The Miz.

• Paid Members

Booker T

Nope. He only had the booby prize.

• Moderators

Mark Jindrak looked great and could leap like Jim Brunzell but I never think he really had "it" until he started working Mexico. Was very, very boring. Charisma black hole, marginal worker. Personally I reckon he's worth another look from WWE these days, but I think he was never really ready when he was in WWE. Still looked green after being around mainstream US wrestling for 5 years. Although that's probably an effect of coming up through the Power Plant when he did, not his fault.

Archived