WWE's missed chances...

TheShowOff

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The baffling loss to Henry at Mania was the nail in his coffin. After that it was clear WWE wanted him on a downward spiral

Yeah, until WrestleMania he seemed unstoppable. Well, except for all those times he got stopped and beaten in every high-profile match he had. He was dead after he got chumped out by a ref and a dirty smackhead-looking fella half his size at Hell in a Cell. When all he's got is the unbeatable monster gimmick and he loses his very first important match, he's done. Six months of losing to the same smackhead and three lads in Bossman dress-up didn't rehabilitate him by the time WrestleMania came around.

After Hell in a Cell, he was on his arse until he started pushing weaklings around backstage. Then they even fucked that off to have him play job boy to Punk again.

• Paid Members

By the time Malenko got to WWF he was 40 years old. What could you do with him on that roster? WWF's roster was insane at the time. You couldn't have put him over Jericho or Benoit. He was a 40 year old bloke who wasn't very big. I remember the old rumour of WWF saying "we dont want Shane Douglas and Konnan, but if you are coming as a package we'll have them" to the Radicalz. Dean Malenko must have been included in that. He was a great worker, but he was 5'7", wasn't known for his mic work and was an old bloke. He had everything WWF isn't looking for in a wrestler. Especially with such a stacked roster. Realistically working undercard matches was as good as he was going to get.

• Moderators
In my view Dean Malenko. One of the best all round "wrestlers:. They should have put the IC strap on him at least.

No chance. He didn't have an modicum of charisma during a time when the WWF roster was choc full of fine workers anyway, many better than Stinko Malenko. His spot was exactly the right one for him.

• Paid Members
I was given to understand Ahmed Johnson's career got fucked because of his injuries, rather than anything WWF booking did?

Basically. He was going to get a WWF title shot on Raw the first time he got hurt, then a PPV title match with the Undertaker the second time. That's about when they realized they couldn't rely on him to not hurt himself. He was clumsy oaf that hurt a few of the guys. Shame, good look and over like Rover.

Legion of Doom.

I just think they could have got more out of them...

Did they just get the one title run and then dumped because they were made before they came to WWF?

Who's idea was it to give them a fucking puppet? Their old puppet they found by chance in a bin down a back alley.

Did we get a mega feud between them and Demolition?

They had a great brawl with Nasty Boys, were super over. Had a few bouts with Natural Disasters and Money Inc.

Was tag team wrestling that doomed come 1993?? They were bought back or kept off TV for years or something so it does my head in a bit they weren't used for longer. Any ideas?

• Paid Members

What else could you do? I remember The LOD being massive when I was a kid. Everyone loved them. They were just cool as fuck to anyone who watched in 1991/92. Then Hawk got sacked and Animal done his back in. They were on their last legs by 1992 anyway. The gimmick wasn't one you could protect forever. I'm sure they'd have loved to have LOD continue to sell those hasbros and bed buddies everyone seemed to have and the class plastic shoulder pads. I remember when they rolled into Wembley Stadium. They were as over as any act on the card. For that time period, I'd say WWF got the most out of them. Demolition were fucked. So you couldnt do much with that. They had a great 1991 and a fine feud with Money Inc and that was it.

Would have been interesting to see how the Crush/Animal version of LOD would have done in 1993.

• Moderators

Hawk liked doing lots and lots of drugs and being an total arsehole, I think that did for them more than being a success in NWA and AWA. They disappeared after Summerslam 92 because Hawk is Hawk and did drugs and went missing or something, and Animal retired for a few years not long after until they resurfaced in WCW in 1996 or so.

Archived