WWE's missed chances...

TheShowOff

The baffling loss to Henry at Mania was the nail in his coffin.

I dont really know why he lost the match, if they wanted him to turn heel and face Cena.

Ill throw in Ted DiBiase Jr in the mix. It looked at one stage he would be the guy to be a top face after an eventual Legacy split. Poor Ted ended up with his Dad's gimmick and Maryse.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will sound like an odd choice but I always thought they missed the boat with the Big Show to an extent. In the modern landscape it's not possible to give someone the mystique or 'special attraction' feel on the level that Andre had it but they could have done a much better job with him, especially in recent years where he's body's breaking down. In fact, The Undertaker has had that aura for several years so it is possible, really. Big Show's a '7 foot 500 pound' giant that's never felt any different from anyone else. They made him look like a plonker from the moment of his debut. When he gets his annual world title push I'm more likely to think, "Oh for fucks sake, really?" than, "Cena/Orton's in the shit now!".

• Moderators

Oh, definitely. I remember that apparently Vince was going for years that WCW didn't know how to book The Giant and he did. Well, I don't think The Big Show was ever the star he should be. Ok, his attitude in the early days could be a contributor, but Big Show should have been a far bigger star than he ever has been.

They did ok, mind, but Nexus losing their first proper match was a head scratcher. The Cena/Nexus stuff in the Winter is some of the best TV WWE will ever do, but I wonder how big and better things would have been if Nexus didn't look like idiots during Summer Slam and for a few weeks after it. They were such a force pre-Summer Slam, that big Nexus v Team Cena face off with the camera shaking made it seem like demigods were going at it.

Agree, Nexus immediately sprung to mind. That Summerslam match was theres to be won. They still had momentum in Barrett for a few months, but completely fucked that up the night Cena cut that awesome promo about leaving and was back pretty much instantly. Barrett could of been seen as a real threat during that period, He will probably never get to that level again. They could of potentially even ran a decent angle out of Nexus/Cena up until Wrestlemania 27.

Maybe not as a wrestlers push but as a missed chance of a match then they surely should of gone with the Hogan/Flair match at Wrestlemania 8.

• Moderators
I think Big Show's done well, considering he was born about ten years or so too late.

Oh yeah, he's done well. But without a doubt he could have done a lot better. Although I suppose the seeds were sown for his future by feeding him to Steve Austin cleanly unadvertised on an episode of Raw within a month of tearing through the ring.

• Moderators

Sean O'Haire was amazing and would have been the greatest thing ever is such a case of the rose tints, isn't it? "He was a great promo" is my favourite Sean O'Haire lie. If he was such a great promo how come he couldn't cut one without laughing and so they said to him "Just stand over there and let Roddy speak"?

Good Vignettes, nothing else.

He had a pretty cool finisher as well. Not the Seanton Bomb, but the weird reverse Fireman Carry Slam thing. I seem to remember him doing it to Rikishi, which looked impressive. His promos weren't helped by the fact that he has the same shitty accent as The Hardys. Which for some reason, just sounds incredibly awkward.

They did ok, mind, but Nexus losing their first proper match was a head scratcher. The Cena/Nexus stuff in the Winter is some of the best TV WWE will ever do, but I wonder how big and better things would have been if Nexus didn't look like idiots during Summer Slam and for a few weeks after it. They were such a force pre-Summer Slam, that big Nexus v Team Cena face off with the camera shaking made it seem like demigods were going at it.

Agree, Nexus immediately sprung to mind. That Summerslam match was theres to be won. They still had momentum in Barrett for a few months, but completely fucked that up the night Cena cut that awesome promo about leaving and was back pretty much instantly. Barrett could of been seen as a real threat during that period, He will probably never get to that level again. They could of potentially even ran a decent angle out of Nexus/Cena up until Wrestlemania 27.

Maybe not as a wrestlers push but as a missed chance of a match then they surely should of gone with the Hogan/Flair match at Wrestlemania 8.

Yeah they should have won that match, we have a similar angle going in GPW, except when it came time for the Team GPW vs The Cause elimination match, The Cause won and the crowd now perceives them as a credible threat.

• Paid Members

I still reckon there was more to come from crazy heel R-Truth. Him in general really. He doesn't have age on his side but he hasn't really aged in a decade and can still move well for a man north of 40. I'm quite curious how it all would have played out if he hadn't have got himself suspended.

The Miz - I enjoyed his whole run with the title and his feud with Bryan is my favourite Bryan stuff. I'm a firm believer that he has many qualities and strengths which the WWE need for one of their top guys. He has a big presence and comes across well as a face of the company - the video package he did just before his match with Cena at Mania was bloody brilliant. It's just every since his feud with Riley (which was decent) they've booked The Miz like a absolute wally. To the point where it would be difficult to do anything with him now.

Archived