UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll be watching this live. My going out days are non-existent anyway at the minute and I'd have stayed in for this one anyway. Even if I went out, I'd be thinking 'I wonder if Barnett's throttling Travis Browne right now', or 'I wonder if Miesha's arm is in a sling yet' or 'wonder what the fuck is happening with Weidman and Silva'. And most importantly 'I wonder how fat Matt Serra looks in the corner.'

I'd be too distracted to enjoy a night out knowing what's going on hundreds of miles away in Vegas. I remember going out the night of UFC 100 for my birthday. We'd planned to be back in time to watch the show but the whole night I kept thinking 'we won't be back in time, we'll miss Brock giving Mir a pasting.'

I've been out on UFC nights quite a few times and I don't think like this. Even UFC 162 I watched the next day. But something as big and must-see as UFC 100 or 168, I find myself a bit obsessed.

how long do your nights out last? i'll be long tucked up before the main card even starts :laugh:

It depends where you go, I have been on nights which a hour away from where I live (Crewe) and hoped to get back for UFC, and missed it. If Clubs shut 3am, and you go for something to eat afterwards, coupled with dropping people off, you can be well into 5-6am when you get home.

Luckily, I am not doing much this Christmas other than a few lunches out and house visits during the day, so if I chose to watch 168 live I would not miss it.

• Paid Members

Yeah it depends how far you are away from home, who's with you, what the occasion is. I mean that night of UFC 100, a bunch of friends organised a big night out for my birthday. So I couldn't very well say 'thanks for this but I'm shooting off in a few hours. Sexyama's opening the PPV and I must be back in to watch his entrance.'

Only way I'll possibly miss 168 live will be if the baby has me up at 4am Saturday morning (she does that a lot, I think it's her job). Then I'll be zombified all day and probably conk out about 10pm. Suppose I could die in the next week and miss it as well. But aside from those two scenarios, my arse will be parked in front of my telly for about 6 hours on that night.

• Paid Members

What's been working for me lately is setting the alarm for 3/3.30am and getting to sleep just after 10. Obviously, you only catch 3/4 fights, but if they are big fights then as soon as that alarm goes the adrenaline kicks in and wakes you up.

The problem with drinking is that you can't have a heavy night. The ideal scenario is a few pints to get you merry and pumped up for the UFC fights.

I got a phone call earlier from the office at work saying they didn't get what I wanted for my meal at the work do. I found out it's actually this Saturday not next, meaning I have the possibility of staying up to watch this now. Whether I will or not all comes down to how knackered I am.

• Paid Members
Pros Picks -

Haven't watched this yet but I'll go ahead and guess right now - they all think Anderson only lost because he was bodypopping, right? This time, he'll be deadly serious and Weidman will be lucky to be breathing when it's over.

Something like that? I'll watch it in a bit and see how close I was :)

Haven't watched this yet but I'll go ahead and guess right now - they all think Anderson only lost because he was bodypopping, right? This time, he'll be deadly serious and Weidman will be lucky to be breathing when it's over.

Something like that? I'll watch it in a bit and see how close I was :)

Without ruining it, you are being a bit cynical there Wand. Remember, most of the pros in this sample are American.

The first guy offers the best analysis, just because of who he is.

Decent video with the fight picks but they definitely seem to carry the tone that Weidman's win was fluky, talking about the way Anderson's gonna come back and how he wasn't himself.

Not long to go now. I'm honestly more excited about this than I am Christmas- probably more to do with getting older and Christmas being less of a big deal for me, but it's still an amazing fight card. There's so much focus on the top two fights that I often forget how stacked the undercard is.

Decent video with the fight picks but they definitely seem to carry the tone that Weidman's win was fluky, talking about the way Anderson's gonna come back and how he wasn't himself.

My count was that Anderson only got 1 more vote, but yes there was that theme to the guys who voted Anderson.

Still unsure as to my pick.

• Paid Members

Cynical maybe, but I wasn't far off. Pretty much everyone picking Anderson had the 'it was a fluke' tone. I thought Lauzon was taking sense. Not because he picked Weidman, but because he seemed to actually pick based on how their actual fighting styles match up, not on the notion that one of them is some mythical wizard who can only lose by fluke.

That's what irks me a bit about the things I'm hearing from people picking Anderson. People are giving it the 'if Anderson is serious this time, he wins easy' stuff. But they're not saying what he's actually going to do to win. The thinking seems to be, if he doesn't taunt it's a cakewalk. Not pissing about would certainly help, but he's still going to actually have to do something to Weidman as well. Still got to defend the takedowns and deal with Weidman's BJJ game. And despite Anderson being the better striker, he now knows Weidman can knock him out as well. Something no-one has ever been able to do before, which I think is something people might be overlooking as well. That could effect Anderson mentally. So he's not 'safe' anywhere. Whether he dances or not, this is a ridiculously tough match up style-wise for Anderson. He's not going to win by not taunting alone, and I'm yet to hear a strong argument for how Anderson actually wins this, other than 'he'll win because he won't arse around.'

Don't get me wrong, Anderson could well win this. He's always dangerous and all it takes is one mistake in MMA. Especially with someone as skilled as him. And the questions on Weidman's cardio still remain for me so that could be a factor. But when you've got a guy like Weidman, who we know has the grappling to give Anderson some grief, then add in that we know he has the capability to KO Anderson as well, it's going to take something more than Anderson simply 'being serious' to win this fight.

And another thing that's bugging me. I've seen in a few places people going 'Was the first fight a fluke? We'll find out in the rematch.' No we won't. In the rematch we'll simply find out if Anderson was able to make enough adjustments to avenge the first loss. If Anderson wins this rematch, it doesn't render the first fight a fluke at all. Weidman won the first round handily then knocked Anderson out mid-Matrix moves. That's not a fluke regardless of Anderson's clowning. He was serious enough in round one when Weidman was on top of him, punching and elbowing him and going for leg locks. He wasn't taunting then and he was still losing. The first fight wasn't a fluke. If Anderson was destroying Weidman the first round, then got cocky and starting arsing about and got KO'd, I could see the fluke claim. But that's not what happened. You don't win a whole five minute round by fluke then KO someone.

It's a tricky fight to call. I'm not blindly picking Weidman. I can see both sides. Anderson isn't a stupid fighter, he was taunting for a reason last time and I suspect it was to goad Weidman into a pure standup fight. It worked but he got caught, and probably underestimated Weidman's standup. He should be better this time but we'll see how he deals with it. Is Weidman's cardio up to a longer fight? I'm not sure.

It's a tough one. I've got a feeling this one's going to a decision. And I'm leaning towards Weidman. I think he'll fade late but will have racked up a points lead. The intrigue then will be can Anderson pull off a late comeback like the Sonnen 1 fight? That's kind of how I see it going. I'll go Weidman in a close points win.

Archived