UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so weird to see Dana White standing at a Josh Barnett staredown laughing and smiling. Fingers crossed Barnett can piss clean, he's one of the most entertaining fighters both in and out of the cage. My only knock against him is that he finished Mir too quickly, I wanted the beating to continue a bit longer.

I've been all over the place with my MMA viewing lately- hence the thread tangent earlier, sorry boys. But I think I might get hold of the Countdown/press conference this arvo, watching that stuff always reinforces the big fight feel for me (not that this event needs it). Time to realign my focus, although I did watch Silva/Sonnen II last night. Wand's not wrong about that short grabbing, I thought he was joking, I didn't notice the first time. Anderson's TDD will need to be a lot improved here, the Sonnen blueprint remains the easiest path to victory for Weidman.

Apparently Brock Lesnar will be in attendance on Saturday night, when asked if it was for business or pleasure Dana replied "I don't know" :rolleyes:

I would bloody love it if they announce Lesnar vs Mir or Hunt on the show tomorrow.

The source who posted is usually pretty spot on, and he did make out a deal was highly likely, but I do not want to get my hopes up.

• Paid Members

Yeah he's coming back isn't he. At least in some capacity, part-time or whatever. Something's definitely going on. These rumours, then Brock's attending 168, then Dana's all 'I don't know'. Something's up.

Announcing Lesnar vs Mir is unlikely though isn't it, with Mir vs Overeem already signed? Unless something's happened there as well. Like Overeem's failed a test again, or something.

• Paid Members

Well theoretically Lesnar vs Mir is still very possible. From the sounds of it Brock is going to be on the WrestleMania card so, if there is a UFC return coming chances are his return fight won't be until at least the Summer anyway. So whatever the result of Mir vs Overeem, they could still pencil in Lesnar vs Mir 3 for July/August time if they want.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Lesnar did this a couple of years ago when he was trying to get more money out of the WWE. His terms were mental, which meant the meeting didn't last too long with Dana White.

It would be very fitting if the great man spent the past couple of years getting paid upwards of $5M a year for 3 matches, while being productive with all his spare time by getting healthier and training MMA; eradicating the holes in his game (his appalling stand up, for example).

Given the buyrates this year and the lack of a GSP next year, the UFC really could use a bloke like Lesnar for a couple of fights. The Heavyweight division isn't nearly as grand or lucrative without Lesnar.

I'm excited too. His current WWE run has sort of lost it's magic.

• Paid Members
Given the buyrates this year and the lack of a GSP next year, the UFC really could use a bloke like Lesnar for a couple of fights. The Heavyweight division isn't nearly as grand or lucrative without Lesnar.

Yeah, and especially now Cain has wiped out JDS. Not that their series was a massive draw or anything but it was basically the only interesting thing going on at heavyweight the last two years. There's only Josh Barnett now who I think could create big interest if he keeps winning. Brock wouldn't be winning any titles at this stage but he'd be great to just throw into the mix and shake things up a bit. Brock fights are always a big event no matter who he's fighting. He'd be a great shot in the arm right now.

In other news, Anderson Silva is now saying there's a "great, great chance" that he retires on Saturday night.

I don't trust anything Anderson says, he loves to just throw things out there to see how people react. That said, I can see him retiring some time soon, he is 38, has nothing left to prove and I get the feeling he really doesn't care that much about fighting anymore.

• Paid Members

And if he does beat Weidman tomorrow, regaining the title at 38, what better note to end on?

The selfish sod in me hopes he carries on. It's not like he's declined because of one loss. But really, what's left to do? He could fight Jones. There's always another fight you can make, but where do you stop? He's supposed to be absolutely set for life financially. There's no signs of him being particularly reckless with his money. He taken relatively little punishment for a 38 year old fighter with a long career. It'd be nice to see him go out on top and walk away before it gets to the sad stage where he does decline. I don't think anyone wants to see Anderson's career end like Chuck Liddell's or Mirko Cro Cop's. Where he starts getting laid out by fighters he'd have destroyed previously. That's why I actually kind of hope GSP doesn't come back. Nothing left to prove, made his money and got out (if he has got out) at seemingly the perfect time. Health, money and legacy intact.

If he regains the belt and then retires though, that's the top two pound-for-pound fighters retiring and two titles being vacated in a one month span. No wonder Dana's been on the blower to Brock. It'll be a big transition period and rough for a while business wise if Anderson retires weeks after GSP. But in the long run, I think it's refreshing that we could have the two greatest champions in UFC history, go out on top. Certainly beats the way some of boxing's greats like Ali and Duran finished up.

While I'm here, fucking look at Chris Leben;

1545944_453334294767182_1949500544_n.jpg

The Leben UFC 89/138 physique is back. Well if he fails the drug test, can't blame Birmingham this time.

Archived