UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it'll be more like the Anderson/Sonnen II fight :laugh:

I bloody well hope so.

I do see the fight being finished, as I see both fighters have too effective of an offence for it to go 25 mins, and I cannot see Anderson cruising, like he did with Sonnen he will want to get Weidman out there so he cannot control him enough to rack up points.

Weidman also has the cardio question mark, and I do not fancy many fighters to survive 5 rounds of his explosive GnP and impressive ground game.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I think it'll be more like the Anderson/Sonnen II fight :laugh:

You mean the night Anderson rubbed Vaseline on himself, kept grabbing Chael's shorts when they clinched up and then...

asvschael.gif

Chael threw a reckless spinning backfist and fell on his arse?

;)

I do see the fight being finished, as I see both fighters have too effective of an offence for it to go 25 mins, and I cannot see Anderson cruising, like he did with Sonnen he will want to get Weidman out there so he cannot control him enough to rack up points.

Yeah, when I say a close points win I don't mean it as Anderson racking up points. Lets face it, with Weidman's wrestling he'll probably dictate where the fight goes for large spells. So then it becomes a question of Anderson timing his attacks as Weidman bullrushes him or throws punches. I could see Weidman getting off to a strong start and winning the first two, maybe three rounds. Putting Anderson against it like Chael did the first time. But I can see Weidman fading in the later rounds and I think that's when Anderson will either take over and have his moments, taking the later rounds (this is what I'm leaning to, hence my close decision prediction). Or he'll catch a gassed Weidman and put him away late.

It's just a gut feeling. I really don't fancy Weidman to keep up down the stretch, but I think he'll get by from winning the early rounds. Anderson could catch him early on, maybe a knee as Weidman shoots or something but late in the fight is where I think Anderson will get more chances to open up. When Weidman isn't so fresh. I can see this being a bit of a war myself.

I wonder just how good Weidman's submission game is. If it's as good as Serra and Longo say, then even a submission might be a long shot for Anderson. He might have to KO Weidman to win this.

Weidman also has the cardio question mark, and I do not fancy many fighters to survive 5 rounds of his explosive GnP and impressive ground game.

This is the x-factor for me. Even Renzo Gracie said Weidman was gassing before the KO last time. I know the Brazilians always stick up for each other but Renzo has no reason to exaggerate that. In fact he's actually more closely affiliated with Weidman than he is Anderson because of the links to Serra. Yet even he voiced concerns on Weidman's cardio. Gassing after a round isn't a good sign.

Fuck knows. From pictures I've seen Weidman is looking in great shape for the rematch. Looks leaner and more of an athletic physique so he's probably worked a lot on his stamina for this fight. The last place you want to be if you're gassed is locked in a cage with Anderson Silva.

There's so many ways it can go though. It's going to be a long 7 days waiting for this one.

One point one of the pros brought up was that Anderson did start stuffing takedowns before the knockout in the first fight. In the first round Weidman looked like a beast on the ground though, which is why I might end up picking Weidman.

There is always a chance Anderson might try and fanny around a bit this time out as well though, in a sort of "catch me if you can" sort of way. If he does, a repeat of last time could happen.

There are endless possibilities for how this fight could go in my opinion, which makes it so hard to pick. Its not like Rousey vs Tate which is very straight forward on paper.

• Paid Members

I can't remember exactly how many takedowns he stuffed but he did start to negate Weidman's wrestling in round two yeah. That was probably partly down to Weidman slowing down as well. It's just another layer of intrigue for the rematch. If Weidman's cardio is better this time and Anderson still stuffs his shots, that'll be a worrying sign for Weidman. If Weidman can keep the pace he set in round one last time, Anderson is in for a long as fuck night.

There are endless possibilities for how this fight could go in my opinion, which makes it so hard to pick. Its not like Rousey vs Tate which is very straight forward on paper.

Yeah, of the top three fights, Rousey vs Tate is the easiest to call on paper. Weidman vs Silva is fascinating, could go so many ways. I don't think the 19-9 poll in Silva's favour on here really does justice to how interesting a fight this is. Barnett vs Browne, I like Barnett to win. I think he's just too seasoned, too good of a grappler and too hard a bastard for Browne. But I can see why people might favour Browne, with his height, striking and power.

I am keeping safe and going with Barnett, due to his consistency we discussed previously. It seems a bad style on paper, but he has beaten similar fighters like Schilt and Yvel, the latter he did whilst having a off-night of sorts. So I think he can deal with reach and height quite well.

More pros picks, overall it seems 50/50. There is something about Cormier I dislike by the way, and I cannot quite put my finger on it.

• Paid Members

but why throw that against Anderson? a guy who has arguably the best reflexes in the game, and a man notorious for capitalising on mistakes. Chael had the blueprint to beat Anderson and he abandoned it to throw that!? he deserved to get punished. It must haunt him.

but why throw that against Anderson? a guy who has arguably the best reflexes in the game, and a man notorious for capitalising on mistakes. Chael had the blueprint to beat Anderson and he abandoned it to throw that!? he deserved to get punished. It must haunt him.

To be fair, the fight was going against Chael at that stage, as Anderson was starting to take over.

Just a bit of desperation in my opinion.

• Paid Members

I remember watching the fight live, my initial thought was that he threw that backfist purely out of desperation. Remember, by that point Anderson was stuffing all his takedown attempts and Chael looked flustered. But that can't be why. As said, he was drilling that backfist to fuck in the open workouts so he must've been fully planning on using it in the fight anyway. Very odd timing to introduce a new technique like that. Especially such a low success rate strike. There's a reason spinning backfists aren't that common in MMA or kickboxing, and it's because they're ridiculously difficult to time and land, and also that they're risky because you have to turn your back to your opponent. And Chael chose to debut this technique in the biggest fight of his career against the most lethal striker in MMA. That's going to haunt him for a long time.

Ronda's been talking quite a bit lately;

On her first fight with Miesha

"If I fought the me who fought Miesha then, I'd beat the shit out of her. I made different mistakes then that I never would now. I was in a rush to get the title shot because I was broke."

On the rematch

"She goes on her interviews and says she's going to finish me in the first round,

• Paid Members

Well, it's this Saturday and I can't bloody wait.

I'm really conflicted with the Rousey/Tate fight. Whilst I gave Rousey a lot of shit in the TUF thread, I still love the woman. Tate is just that little bit hotter though haha.

For the sport, I'm not sure what's best? If Ronda armbar's her way to another first round win, then who's next? Fast track Pena? I wouldn't be against it to be honest as I give her a great chance against Rousey. Or Tate wins a war to set up a rubber match? I just don't know?

I keep chopping and changing regarding Weidman/Silva. Again, what's better for the sport here? Propelling the young guy or the GOAT taking back his belt? If Anderson does win then what? Is he interested in any remaining bouts at MW? There's only really Belfort that screams money and I don't think he would be interested in fighting Machida?

• Paid Members

It's actually true as well. The nice arse bit goes without saying but the rivalry is undoubtedly the only reason Miesha got the title shot and TUF coach spot. It certainly wasn't based on her earning it. She was coming off a stoppage loss to Cat Zingano. It made sense for TUF though and it's an easy rematch to sell despite the one-sidedness of the first fight.

Kind of ironic really. The whole Ronda vs Miesha rivalry started when Miesha said Ronda didn't deserve a title shot. She was probably right at that time given Ronda's inexperience in the division. Now it's Miesha who's getting an undeserved title shot.

If Ronda armbar's her way to another first round win, then who's next? Fast track Pena? I wouldn't be against it to be honest as I give her a great chance against Rousey.

Maybe Pena. Might be a little bit early for her though. I'd give her a better chance than most in the division, even now, but I'm not sure I like the idea of them rushing her into a title shot. I'd like to see what she can do against one of the other top contenders first. A Sara McMann or Alexis Davis maybe. If she beats one of them, I'd think she's definitely up to it.

I'd think Cat Zingano might still be next in line for Rousey if she goes 2-0 over Tate. She earned the shot already, it's just bad luck why she's not in Miesha's spot this Saturday. Guess it depends if Zingano wants a 'tune-up' though coming off surgery, before getting in there with Ronda.

It's a pretty interesting division at the top end right now. Zingano, McMann and Davis are all up there. You've got Amanda Nunes coming up and wrecking people. And in a new division, Julianna Pena might climb the ladder quicker than usual so she could be in the title shot conversation very soon. Then there's Jessica Eye and Bethe Correia who have looked impressive recently. It's a pretty solid division.

If Anderson does win then what? Is he interested in any remaining bouts at MW? There's only really Belfort that screams money and I don't think he would be interested in fighting Machida?

Yeah this is what I've been saying. If Anderson wins there's a few ways it can go.

Stay at 185 - where he probably wouldn't fight Machida or Jacare. He's not sounded keen on the Belfort rematch either. Options are limited outside of a possible Bisping fight, but Bisping might never even make it to the title shot. He has a history of falling at the last hurdle.

Go to 205 - maybe. Would finally open up the possibility for a Silva vs Jones megafight. But he wouldn't fight Little Nog or Feijao. No way. And I'm not sure he'd fight Glover, Wanderlei or Shogun either. So that leaves him with the monsters of 205 like Jones, Gustafsson and Cormier. All who would hold a pretty significant size advantage. Rashad would be an interesting fight though.

Roy Jones - I can actually see this happening. Dana has warmed to the idea somewhat and it's clearly a bucket list type thing for Anderson. He wants to box Roy Jones before he retires. Roy wants it. Now Dana seems open to it. I could see this happening whatever the result Saturday night. As weird as it is to imagine.

Retirement - always a possibility. I don't think so yet though.

I think if Anderson regains the title, I think it's possible he might actually then vacate it and just take attraction fights that interest him. I can see him being motivated to regain his title but then vacating it with the thinking of stepping down and leaving the division to his friend Machida. Kind of passing the torch. Then I can see him just taking some big fights, name fights to see out his career. Things he might see as interesting to him or a challenge. The Roy Jones fight being one of course, maybe a Jon Jones fight. Rashad, Nick Diaz, maybe even Sonnen 3.

The thing is, if Anderson evens the score this weekend, you know Dana's cock will be rock for a Silva vs Weidman 3 clash. So even if Anderson does want to just bounce around the weights taking money fights into retirement, Dana's going to want him to stick around at 185 for the rubber match.

I think the UFC's plan will be Weidman/Silva winner vs Belfort for the title, say around May 2014. So if Anderson beats Weidman at 168, Silva vs Belfort 2 in May. And maybe give Weidman a winnable fight on the same card. Then if the results pan out, Silva vs Weidman 3 late next year. If Weidman goes 2-0 this weekend though, Weidman vs Belfort seems like a lock, and Anderson can do his thing at whatever weight.

Archived