UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Eh? I post a video of a fighter, who's co-headlining on the biggest PPV of the year, appearing on a TV show. I say she came across well, so I have a hard on?

Seriously, I was expecting a response like that at some point :laugh:

Yeah so what I think Ronda is fit. I think Miesha is as well but I don't root for her. Seems a bit of a sneaky, smarmy sod if I'm honest. I realise because it's a female fighter it's easy to paint any positive comment about her as 'having a hard on' but it's as simple as Ronda is one of my favourite fighters to watch at the moment, I think she's great for the sport and I think people's bellyaching over her antics on TUF have been made into a way bigger deal than what it actually was. It'd be no different if everyone was slagging Wanderlei Silva off at every turn on the next TUF Brazil. You root for your favourites. I defended Vitor Belfort recently as well, I don't want to fuck him.

Right, back to my Ronda Rousey scrapbook.

• Paid Members
Shouldn't the Weidman vs Silva Primetimes be starting soon? Really looking forward to that. Especially if it's heavy on Serra and Longo. And I do mean heavy with those two.

Holy shit. I'd completely forgotten about that fight getting the Prime Time treatment. Now I can't wait. Anyone got a date for when it starts? My TV is in desperate need of some Serra.

• Paid Members

It's got to be really soon. There will be three episodes, one a week and the last one always airs a couple of days before the fight doesn't it? So the first episode must be one day next week! Can't wait. Weidman's a rare case where his vanilla personality doesn't really matter as long as he's got the two punch combo of Serra and Longo with him. They're the Paul Heyman to his Brock Lesnar. Except they're insanely likeable and don't have greasy ponytails.

I defended Vitor Belfort recently as well, I don't want to fuck him.

You sure about that? I was beginning to wonder if you maybe had a TRT fetish ;)

Yeah I love a bit of TRT. So sexy. I bet it wears stockings in bed and everything.

Seriously though, in the very unlikely event that me and Vitor got it on, I think he'd be the one doing the fucking. It would resemble a pitbull ravaging a whippet.

Yeah I love a bit of TRT. So sexy. I bet it wears stockings in bed and everything.

Seriously though, in the very unlikely event that me and Vitor got it on, I think he'd be the one doing the fucking. It would resemble a pitbull ravaging a whippet.

Stop making my job as chief piss taker so easy please ;)

• Paid Members

I think Serra and Longo are happy to stay relatively small and local. Well not small, but they seem happy with staying in Long Island or wherever they're based and finding local talent to develop. They seem to have a bit of a different vibe than most of the well known MMA gyms in that respect. And you see those guys are really close knit. Whereas a gym like say, Jacksons or ATT, I imagine it's easier to kind of get lost in the shuffle.

I'm not sure what Pete Sell is up to these days. He got battered by Matt Brown in 2009 (in a fight where the ref let him take more shots than necessary and stopped it late), took two years off then fought a few times with mixed results on the small shows. Looking up his record, he hasn't fought since last year.

He wasn't a top flight fighter but I liked Sell. Tough guy and not afraid to get into a proper scrap. Seemed like a good guy on TUF 4 as well.

Drunk Drago;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=0QD0sM5KoeY

And here's Drago's nutter laugh, set off by Patrick Cote's artwork;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=z0VqCGYd1xc

The good old days of TUF.

I love Anderson, but I kinda hope he doesn't just fuck up Weidman. The upset was the most interesting the MW division has been in about 7 years. I'm hoping Weidman wins a much tougher, closer fight, establishing himself as a bona fide star, and Anderson can take a few fights at LHW, maybe finishing his career with the Jones superfight if he starts wrecking guys there.

• Paid Members

If Anderson goes 0-2 to Weidman though, any talk of a Jones superfight is way off. It's way off now, it'd be pretty much dead in the water if he loses two straight to Chris Weidman. It'd be a long road back from that to a megafight with Jones, and at 38 how likely is it?

Remember when Mike Goldberg remarked earlier in the year that 2013 would be the "year of the superfight?" Didn't quite pan out. This time last year we had Anderson vs GSP and Jones vs Anderson possibly on the table. Then we had Aldo vs Pettis to look forward to. None happened and two of them are dead for the foreseeable. I dont think GSP was ever going to fight Anderson anyway. Cock teasing bastard.

2013 has been a fucking brilliant year anyway. Probably my favourite year as an MMA fan. But it's a shame these fights got away. It won't do the business the other two would have but I hope we still get Aldo vs Pettis at some point. And there's always the possibility of Velasquez vs Jones down the line. And a very slim chance of Rousey vs Cyborg if they somehow ever resolve that mess. Not holding my breath on that one though.

Something we haven't talked about - what does Anderson do next if he goes 0-2 to Weidman?

Move to 205? Possibly, and with Machida gone there wouldn't be that obstacle. Still got Little Nog and Feijao there though who he'd flat out refuse to fight. Plus as I've just said about Shogun in the Fight Night thread, 205 is getting full of bigger and bigger fighters. If Sonnen and Weidman were able to take him down, would Anderson fancy someone like Cormier on top of him?

But if he stays at 185 he'd be in the same position, ironically, that he put Rich Franklin in back in 2007, and Sonnen in in 2012. He'd be 0-2 to the champ. No chance of a title shot on the horizon, but he'd probably wreck all the contenders before they could get their title shot. He'd basically fuck the division up. He won't fight Machida, Jacare or probably Munoz. So who do you book him against?

If he loses to Weidman again I'd say just give him a couple of fun, fan friendly fights. It'd be a mismatch and I have no doubts how it would end but Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz could be all kinds of fun. And the kind of fight that would bring Diaz out of retirement. And there's always a third fight with Chael Sonnen. Yeah, pretty pointless but why not? They were going to do Chuck vs Tito 3 in 2010. Silva vs Sonnen 3 would still create buzz. And it'd give them both something big to do at a time where they'd be out of the title picture. A few fights like that, and fuck it, do Jones vs Silva if it's on the table.

There's also a very real possibility that Anderson just retires with another loss here. I doubt he'd want to go out on back to back losses but who knows.

Of course, if Anderson regains the title in a couple of weeks, fuck all that. The division will roll on as if UFC 162 never happened. Then we get the possibility of a rubber match with Weidman as well.

• Paid Members

If Silva gets smashed, he's retiring from MMA. I honestly have no doubt about it.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if he gets beat we get that Roy Jones/Anderson boxing match Dana was banging on about this week during his interview on Fox Sports to mark his final appearance in combat sports.

• Paid Members

With the "I back" promotion, I am hoping Silva turns up and looks like a killer again. I like Weidman, but the MW division isn't nearly as exciting with him holding the belt. With Silva it's an event/spectacle, similar to people like Lesnar and Jones. When Silva is fighting you always feel like you're a blink away from seeing something prodigiously vicious. Not sure Weidman can deliver those big fight atmospheres when he faces off against the likes of Souza.

I too will be surprised if Silva decides to fight on if he's not getting the big fights. I'd rather not see him look like Fedor or BJ Penn during their last big runs.

• Paid Members
With the "I back" promotion, I am hoping Silva turns up and looks like a killer again. I like Weidman, but the MW division isn't nearly as exciting with him holding the belt. With Silva it's an event/spectacle, similar to people like Lesnar and Jones. When Silva is fighting you always feel like you're a blink away from seeing something prodigiously vicious.

While I 100% agree with this, there's a flipside to that. While Anderson certainly brings the big fight atmosphere more than Weidman, if he wins this rematch the division doesn't really get more interesting really does it? There'd be the obvious Silva vs Weidman rubber match which would be grand. Aside from that? I don't know.

He probably would refuse to fight Machida and Jacare, who are likely to be in contention soon. That would be a right mess. Machida has seemed slightly more open to fighting Anderson recently but I don't know if Silva feels the same. I doubt it.

I suppose there's the Belfort rematch and Bisping. I'd be up for both of them. But as good as he is, you can't rely on Bisping to actually get there. He'll get right to the brink of a title shot and someone always derails him. And he's been vocal about not wanting to fight Vitor again as well. I'm sure he'd do it if pushed but he'd rather not. And even if Chael goes on a 5 fight unbeaten run on his return to 185, he's likely not getting another crack at the title while Anderson's wearing it. Silva vs Sonnen 3 is probably much more likely as a non title, attraction fight, in the slim likelihood it even happens.

With Weidman as champ though, there's tons of new fresh fights. Weidman vs Belfort, Machida, Jacare, Bisping, Sonnen. All possibilities, all intriguing stylistically and none of them have the dreaded obstacle of friendship cockblocking them from fighting.

Not sure Weidman can deliver those big fight atmospheres when he faces off against the likes of Souza.

It wouldn't have the magic of Silva vs Sonnen or Silva vs Belfort, no. I agree. But I think Weidman vs Jacare is a real potential classic when you look at how their skillsets match up.

All that said, I still hope Anderson wins. Even though I think the division would be more interesting if he loses, I don't want to see him go 0-2.

Archived