UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Can we just clarify, because people are phrasing it wrong and it's getting confusing: a Primetime is a 3 week special that focuses on the main event, and the 1 week build-up episode is a Countdown show, which usually highlights 3 fights.

Can't fucking wait for this show!! I love Barnett and I keep forgetting he's even on this!

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah that's right but in the case of Anderson vs Chael 2 and Cain vs JDS 1, they did do a one off single episode of Primetime.

The winner of Barnett vs Browne most likely won't get a title shot now. With Cain on the shelf, plus Werdum next in line and TUF Mexico coming, it'll probably be a while before Barnett/Browne would get their shot. So they're most likely going to have to take another fight.

If Barnett wins I'd like to see Barnett vs Bigfoot next.

When did Fedor beat Overeem to become champion? Must have missed that one

I should have said great fighter, instead of Champion there.

That said, Fedor never lost his Pride belt, so was seen as a great Champion, even if he did not have the title of Champion to prove it in 2009. I do forget he was not actually Champion of Strikeforce when Werdum beat him.

• Paid Members
If Barnett wins I'd like to see Barnett vs Hunt next.

Me too ;)

Already happened. Didn't last long and Barnett nearly ripped Hunt's arm off.

Hunt's going to be out a while anyway from what I've heard. His hand is fucked.

• Paid Members

Yeah and at that point, Barnett had only lost to Cro Cop and Big Nog since leaving the UFC. And they were at or close to their prime back then. And even then - two of the 3 losses to Cro Cop were dodgy. One was the shoulder injury and the other he got poked in the eye. Can't remember but the Nog fight might've been one that could've gone either way as well.

When you look back over his career, there might not be any fighter in MMA who's been going as long and has been as consistent as Barnett. He's been top level forever. And he's fought through every era and held his own. The Couture/Rizzo era (Barnett went on to beat both), the Fedor/Nog/Cro Cop era (beat Nog) and now the Cain/JDS era. I think he can beat everyone below Cain and JDS. I wouldn't fancy him against those two though, but I bet they'd be exciting fights. Even as one sided as Barnett vs Cormier was, Barnett was always going for it and it kept the fight alive. It was a shutout but an exciting one, kind of like Cain vs JDS 3.

Can't remember but the Nog fight might've been one that could've gone either way as well.

Both Nog vs Barnett fights were very close, Barnett almost finished the second with a choke.

Cro Cop was a really bad style match-up for Barnett, plus Cro Cop as said was in his prime. Barnett never lost to fighter who were below top 5, even when he dipped in performance against the likes of Yvel in 2009 and that Polish PED guy in 2006, he managed to win.

• Paid Members

Yeah, when you really look at his 6 losses, all of those guys were on top form when Barnett lost to them. Wasn't like 2010 Cro Cop beat him or something.

Rizzo - Was pretty much the man at heavyweight when he beat a young, green Barnett. Rizzo was expected to dominate the division for years to come.

Cro Cop x3 - Like I said, 2 of the 3 losses were controversial. And besides, Mirko was at his physical peak back then. The #2 or #3 HW in MMA at the time.

Big Nog - Had two razor close decisions in two of the best heavyweight fights in MMA history. And Nog, IMO was second only to Fedor as the best HW in the world. Nog was still in top shape when Barnett fought him. I think those two wars with Barnett took a lot out of Nog if you look at his fights since. He was never quite the same and that's before the injuries piled up. Barnett gave him hell and they went 1-1.

Cormier - Lost a one sided fight but Cormier was unbeaten (still is) and on a roll. And Barnett gave him by far his toughest night's work to date.

Four men have beat him. Six losses. And three of those losses you can argue to some degree. You can dispute the first and third losses to Cro Cop, there's an argument they should've been ruled no contest. And you can make a case that he could've got the second decision against Nog (unless my memory is off). Only Rizzo, Cormier and the second Cro Cop fights were clear cut.

I'm going to try to watch the two Nog vs Barnett fights again before this show. It's been ages since I last watched them.

• Paid Members

Ray Longo speaks;

"I think everybody's excited. The first one was very exciting also. We want to put a stamp on what he did the first time and I think Chris is focused. Training camp is going excellent and we're ready to roll. He's ready to show everybody the first time wasn't a fluke."

"We kind of kept it (training) similar. We brought in a boxer from upstate who was really good, fast hands, southpaw, you know, 185. We kinda kept the same guys, but added some guys. Listen, he's ready to go tomorrow. I wish the fight was Saturday. His weight is perfect. He's been an animal in the gym. His sparring is perfect. Everything is point on -- we're looking for a great fight. I think we're looking at a submission this time. Whatever he feels like doing, I think he can take this fight anywhere he wants to."

Still 11 bastard days away.

• Paid Members

Miesha Tate wants to 'exploit Ronda Rousey's holes', and 'take advantage of them.'

"There's a lot of weaknesses in her game. I think a lot of people build Ronda up to be this invincible person and there's no way she can be beaten, but I don't see it that way at all. I see a lot of holes in her game, and I see a lot of ways that she can be exploited. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I'm going to do something different on the 28th than anyone else has done. There's holes in there, you saw it, I saw it. I don't think it needs any explanation, they're there to be taken advantage of."

What? What did you think it meant? Perverts.

While I'm here - 20 minute Josh Barnett interview on UFC 168, Travis Browne, WADA drug testing, Ronda-Miesha;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=B-zbC674e2I

UFC 168 extended preview;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=SnsA9-StMtI

Archived