Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think going by the past couple of months of booking, the current plan is to finish this two year build, but all roads are leading to Braun eventually winning the belt. Surely that's it? They've been pretty steadfast in promoting Braun as the baddest man on the roster, even if it means diminishing Reigns.

• Paid Members
Just now, jonnybgoode82 said:

Perhaps that was the wrong terminology. It feels like they’ve booked it just to try and get a ***** match at Mania. No other reason. 

I don't think anyone booking the matches inside that bubble cares about what Meltzer thinks. One or two of the wrestlers maybe, but nobody who makes the decisions.

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

It's a good thing for Roman especially considering there are two belts and two spots for "on top" available whereas when he was booked ahead of Bryan before, there was only one. Reigns being on the other show means his spot wont be considered "at the expense" of Bryan, much like AJ has flourished as a champion on SmackDown kept away from Reigns and Lesnar. Roman gets less backlash if he's kept away from the popular Bryan so he's not viewed as keeping him down. Well, Bryan and AJ. To an extent, Nakamura. Hey, can we get Braun drafted to SmackDown too?

I do agree with you, but I can't help but think they'll use the Superstar Shake-Up after Mania to slot Bryan back on Raw.

I think everyone has been assuming for a while that AJ would be heading over to Raw, but you can't imagine both will head over at the same time?

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I don't think anyone booking the matches inside that bubble cares about what Meltzer thinks. One or two of the wrestlers maybe, but nobody who makes the decisions.

I said GODDAMMIT, Jericho goes to Tokyo and it’s ‘his best work ever’?

BRISCO get me that SOCCER MOM KID and that SNICKERS guy and put them together at WRESTLEMANIA 

5 minutes ago, jonnybgoode82 said:

Perhaps that was the wrong terminology. It feels like they’ve booked it just to try and get a ***** match at Mania. No other reason. 

You mean other than that it's a match that a large vocal portion of the fan base really wants to see on the biggest show of the year? And it will get a guaranteed reaction from those in attendance?

• Paid Members

I don't think Bryan being back impacts on Roman at all - with the brand split in place, they'd be wise to keep them separate for as long as they can anyway. It remains to be seen whether Bryan ends up working a full-time schedule or not, but even with him now having been cleared to compete, you have to think there are still hanging doubts over whether or not they'd want to actually rely on him as champion, or as a face of the company, if there's even the slightest risk of him having to step away from the ring again.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Tye Dillinger is fine in the spot he's in as a midcarder, not everybody needs to be a money-drawing main-eventer. Tye doesn't set the world on fire because that isn't his position, I don't really understand the hate directed towards him.

Agreed. He's got a thing that gets a reaction, he doesn't need to go anywhere with it. He's Scotty.

3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

They've been pretty steadfast in promoting Braun as the baddest man on the roster, even if it means diminishing Reigns.

You know, I never really thought of it like that - when Braun wasn't out of the picture for Reigns after Fast Lane last year and continued delaying Reigns going full bore back after the belt like Hogan, Austin or Cena would have, I assumed it was just more bottling it on their willingness to explicitly portray Roman as top man, unnecessary delaying until Mania season and just more cack-handed mistreatment of the guy they've been getting wrong for two years. Never dawned on me they were also thinking of Braun as also getting to the top level, maybe considered as getting title runs in the near future and coming through at the same time, rather than putting all their eggs in Roman's basket.

Makes some of the Reigns jiggery-fuckery forgivable until I remember he was doing jobs for Miz on TV last month.

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think Bryan being back impacts on Roman at all - with the brand split in place, they'd be wise to keep them separate for as long as they can anyway. It remains to be seen whether Bryan ends up working a full-time schedule or not, but even with him now having been cleared to compete, you have to think there are still hanging doubts over whether or not they'd want to actually rely on him as champion, or as a face of the company, if there's even the slightest risk of him having to step away from the ring again.

I don’t mean on that level. I mean in terms of their promotion of him. They’ve been trying to portray Roman as a white meat babyface, a role he’s not really suited for. Having Bryan back means that he’s the companies natural white meat babyface, so they should in theory be able to put some edge on Roman’s character and allow him to fit into a role more suited to his abilities. You don’t need two top tier sympathetic baby’s, even with the brand split.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Think it was "you're still fired". Fucking nuclear heat though. 

Edit: all 8 minutes of the Daniel Bryan promo here. If you don't well up when they simultaneously point at the WrestleMania sign, you have a flinty piece of coal in place of your beating heart. 

He's not reading lines, he's talking to the crowd and they're reacting to it naturally. Reigns just feels like he's been practicing his lines in the back then come out and churned it all out. There's no scripting or teaching the passion that Daniel Bryan has for wrestling, and it comes across in everything he does. It's impossible to not feel for him. Everybody in the crowd pointing at the sign and chanting WrestleMania put a massive, genuine smile on my face at a time when people are just coming out and pointing at the sign because it's the thing that's done around this time of year.

WWE: ‘Daniel, you’re cleared!’

Immediately does two dropkicks and lands pretty much on his head

WWE: ‘Dammit, Bryan!!’

Shamelessly stolen from Youtube comments but it did give me a chuckle. At the very least, you could tell Bryan was having the time of his life out there.

I'm cutting him some slack doing those dropkicks as there's no doubt he was massively excited to be able to do anything physical and so was throwing himself into things with extra gusto.

Great episode but agree the only tiny minor complaint is had WWE not announced he was cleared that last angle would have had more impact - although in these times maybe they felt they had to otherwise people would have kicked off at two guys beating up someone 'not cleared from head trauma'.

I doubt it's that, as I think people would have cottoned on fairly quickly.

The bigger problem would be people starting to pop for every bump he took as they realised he was back in the game. He'd have been getting powerbombed to 'HHH at MSG' type cheers.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t mean on that level. I mean in terms of their promotion of him. They’ve been trying to portray Roman as a white meat babyface, a role he’s not really suited for. Having Bryan back means that he’s the companies natural white meat babyface, so they should in theory be able to put some edge on Roman’s character and allow him to fit into a role more suited to his abilities. You don’t need two top tier sympathetic baby’s, even with the brand split.

That's a fair point - and I hope things will go that way, but I think it requires a level of joined up thinking across brands that they don't often show. I don't know how much they look at what's happening on RAW when they book what's happening on Smackdown, or vice-versa, but they don't seem to take each other into account nearly enough - a McMahon throwing his weight around on Smackdown is a face, while the McMahon throwing her weight around on RAW is a heel, or, in the past, female heel stables debuting in the same week, or both brands having "odd couple" tag team champions at the same time, and so on.

Archived