Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I think Shy Dad has read it right. Shelton seemed less than happy at the prospective tag team.

Never really thought of Shelton as tall but he fucking dwarfed Gable.

I think that may go down the odd couple tag team route. Tease tension between them for a few months before Shelton finally accepts the team and they get a run at the belts, then he turns on him around this time next year.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jonnybgoode82 said:

I think that may go down the odd couple tag team route. Tease tension between them for a few months before Shelton finally accepts the team and they get a run at the belts, then he turns on him around this time next year.

But then it is just a rehash of American Alpha surely? Jordan didn't want any part of being alongside Gable and his goofyness until they started winning and then became less an odd couple and more equal, with Jordan always being the "better" of the two. That would just bury Gable further into "just a tag guy" realms?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, gadge said:

The Takeover Toronto opener vs Tye Dillinger is a great example of how good his heel style can be if the crowd buys a babyface against him. Dead simple match, great heat, dramatic nearfalls.

Absolutely. Roode consistently had good matches in NXT, very good logical matches that tell a story. He might not ever get the Reddit MOTY plaudits, but that might be - as you and others say - that he works like a proper heel in his wrestling style unlike the Owens and Rollins of the world have. That's what I want from a heel, as you get a much better narrative.

8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Absolutely. Roode consistently had good matches in NXT, very good logical matches that tell a story. He might not ever get the Reddit MOTY plaudits, but that might be - as you and others say - that he works like a proper heel in his wrestling style unlike the Owens and Rollins of the world have. That's what I want from a heel, as you get a much better narrative.

agree completely, and that's why I think HHH will be going to bat for him at every opportunity. Roode hasn't done anything since he came in that you would consider to be reinventing the wheel, it's just a take on the old Ric Flair act, and we all know how much HHH loves his old school wrestling. I think Roode will do just fine

Ziggler will bitch and moan until his contract is coming up again...and then sign a new one and then start moaning again three months later, failing to grasp that he had the chance to leave.

He doesn't add anything to the show, I can't even remember if he was at Wrestlemania this this year and can't even be fussed to look it up 

The behind the camera side of the arena was pretty much empty for this again, entire upper block taped off.

Thatss what happens when the show has been dismantled to the B show again, all the stars have been moved to RAW. I enjoyed the show but it's not going to attract casual fans with the names on the bill

Found this week the biggest chore since the brand split start. It's like the exact same pattern as the previous brand split only over a shorter period of time. Smackdown starts off as the edgier, faster paced show of promise before being gutted a little while later to once again reset things back to Raw being THE show. It doesn't matter what they try and do now with matches and angles, the ships already set sail. Can you get a bigger WWE style roster signifier of what's up than having John Cena, Brock Lesnar and all of The Shield on the one show?

I'm confused about the debut of Roode. Him as a face going up against English, Maria's Husband with Ziggles in the pipeline isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Guess either he works better in-ring-wise as a face (I can believe that, but the glorious character is pure heel all day) or because they thought the whole shtick would be so over he wouldn't get boos. But it's just made him feel on Tye Dillinger's level. I was hoping they'd debut him Owens-style against Cena but that's off the cards.

After the anal probe joke the other week, when Fandango picked up that belt I honestly thought he was going to go for an auto-erotic asphyxiation joke. They're already a great act, but the more "wanna get weird?"-era Johnny Curtis starts to emerge through the Fandango guise, the more I'll like it.

Archived