The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

I loved the way Piper joked about and stood up to Ambrose & Rollins, then looked visibly intimidated by Reigns. A small touch like that was enough to further the slow-burning Shield breakup nicely.

But then when Barrett was rambling up on his scissor lift, all of the legends were looking up in disgust & anger except Roddy Piper looking in completely the opposite direction in a world of his own. I agree with something UKFFer gadge mentioned on Twitter: while it's good that they are trying something new with Bad News Barrett, it will probably still be the same old routine once he is in matches.

I loved seeing Jake, but couldn't take my eyes off his new teeth. Wow.

• Paid Members
Anyone else catch one of the lads in the ring say "it's PG now Jake, PG!" when Jake was waving the snake around?

Indeed :laugh:

Was it the Roadogg?

Is there a special technique to brandish a snake in a PG manner?

Don't brandish it like it's your cock, mainly.

To be fair, Jake "The Snake" was in PG-rated WWF for the majority of his run, they were making the shift in 1996 with Austin 3:16 and the Lawler "he's an alco" feud. Missed that line watching it though, Road Dogg is quality. I wish the Outlaws got a mini run in the tag division, not just these nostalgia shows. About a year ago, I was really holding out for Outlaws vs. Shield for the tag titles. Sigh.

• Moderators

Jake was in PG WWE for both of his runs.

Anywy, I love Bad News Barrett. Kudos to WWE for giving someone the gimmick of my old man when he's had a pint.

Edited by PowerButchi

I still think they've missed a trick with the Outlaws vs The Shield there. Road Dogg and Billy have a natural "you've gone too corporate now" conflict with Triple H waiting to happen, and he could put them against The Shield as a punishment. I suppose that could still happen next week, but I would've liked it to happen instead of them just being mates with CM Punk randomly. I'd guess that it wasn't a one-off appearance for them, and they're bound to factor into a HHH vs Punk feud if that's the plan for WrestleMania.

Didn't think much of the show, apart from Reigns and Ryback being great. I've little to no interest in most of those old-timers, especially the ones we always see who never do anything good. Bad News Barrett had his best week yet, but that's not saying much.

Personally speaking I just find the lack of confidence that the company have in their current roster disheartening. Yes, the WWE network will have a lot of historical content, but why not include the current hottest commodity in the company to rep what they currently have to offer?

They are using him. He's on the picture with Austin, Michaels and Triple H.

Spring/summer 1991. I'd have missed Nikolai's run, but I've seen plenty of all the others in that lineup in their heydays. I've just lost any sense of novelty in them being trotted out for the sake of it. I think I started hating Slaughter in about 1997 and I've dreaded every appearance of him since then, apart from that time he came out to Bret Hart's music to troll the Canadian audience. IRS, Ron Simmons and DiBiase have been doing the same dull skits for years when they're on. I'm surprised Dusty Rhodes wasn't dancing in the background.

Too Cool and Rikishi were alright, although Rikishi looks like shit and Scotty looks weird. Jake would be a good 'un, but the crowd didn't bite and the placement of his appearance seemed really contrived. Although the latter's definitely my fault, because if you can't accept contrived run-ins in wrestling, you're being a miserable div watching it in the first place. Still, where the fuck was he when everyone was getting shouted at by Bad News Barrett? In the bogs?

Haven't had the time to watch a full episode of Raw in months, but I managed to make the time last night and really enjoyed it. The show seemed to flow really well without much filler. Think I only skipped the divas match.

Ryback on commentary was just great. His reply to not winning a singles title "I've only been aroun 21 months, give me a few more years" was great. I have never been a fan of Mark Henry, he bores the shit out of me. So it was really great seeing him have his ass kicked and Brock's bump for Big Show looked brutal. Lesnar is brilliant at showing weakness while keeping his aura, whenever his music hits you still get that feeling of "oh fuck, shits about to go down."

I was surprised by how much I actually like Kane in his current role. Didn't think I would enjoy it but he plays it so well. Daniel Bryan's new role would probably be shit with anyone else, but i think he will be able to turn it into gold.

Piper's Pit was great. All three members of the Sheild have their own identity and play off each other perfectly. Ambrose was gold on the mic. Rollins came across sort of like the good cop keeping Ambrose in check, while still having a mean streak. Reigns was the clear star. He did the least out of everyone in the segment but everything he did was perfect. It's like we get little tasters and every time it leaves you wanting to see more of the guy. It will be interesting to see how he handles singles fueds where he has to carry more of the story.

Only gripe with Too Cool and Rikishi was seeing them in the back, I'd have prefered the surprise of their music hitting. Scotty genuinely looked like he was having the time of his life, good to see him looking well.

Jake turning up at the end was great. Ambrose looked like the snake could have killed him and he would have died happy right there and then. Usually his obvious marking out would have ruined the segment, but because it was a nostalgic feel good moment it just added to it. You could just tell he has wanted Jake to put a snake on him since he was a little kid.

I've not posted for a while! Some thoughts;

Does anyone think Scotty 2 Hotty looks like Shawn Michaels now?

Seemed to be random pairings with CM Punk & New Age Outlaws, Cena with Ric Flair, and then Jake the Snake making the save for Punk & NAO.

I would of preferred Snake to return at Royal Rumble as a surprise entrant. Think he could still be a good on screen character though.

What's happening with Kane, when he first list mask I was looking forward to a new character, corporate Kane, but he hasn't wrestled or been involved physically with anyone since the change.

I would of preferred Snake to return at Royal Rumble as a surprise entrant.

The idea of Jake doing something like Perfect in 02 would be unbelievable. Even just for a minute or two of a surprise return - eliminate a nobody with his high knee- short clotheline - DDT someone - get Revelations jr out then get out. It would still have probably been my decade highlight.

Unfortunately I doubt he can do anything physically at all nowadays though. If he could, we'd surely have saw a DDT

Still, he looked ruddy brilliant all things considered! So, so cool to see. I hope he's doing ok inside too

It's gutting that Wrestling has missed out on him for all those years though. That's 20 years or more. :(

Obviously if he remained active throughout the 90s, he wouldn't be today, but as you say, he'd still have been a great character on screen afterwards and right up to the present if only things had been different.