The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Has there ever been a time in the history of Raw where the show seems to have absolutely no stars at all? I really like Seth and Kevin Owens and stuff, but the headliners look like TNA off a few years ago. Like Bobby Roode and James Storm are main eventing, but you get that feeling they'll be back working tags in 3 months. Even when Raw was on its arse, you still saw Nash and Luger and they came across as stars. Even if they werent doing business, you'd at least go "I wouldnt mind meeting them at Woolworths". Its just strange watching Raw these days. Nothing really happens. We're counting down the months until Goldberg turns up or some fucker.

I suppose the "band aid era" (as some have called it) has finally killed week to week. The Undertaker, Brock, Cena, HHH are the stars. Everyone else just hangs around.

They haven't created a genuine star since 2005. To think that Cena and Batista were the last two genuine business effecting stars that they made is scary. Even the people we thought were stars like Punk and Bryan really weren't. They were just two guys that had a belt that hardcore fans liked but no one else wanted to pay to see. With the way they do things now, I just can't see where a star is going to come from.
Punk and Bryan had the benefit of the fans really wanting them to be successful, so they put up with all sorts of shit. More so Bryan than Punk, but both men were booked like shit at times and it's amazing the fans stuck with them.

They could have made Ryback a star, but actively chose not to for some reason. They crushed Ryder for having the nerve to get himself over without them. Then they had the Shield, made Rollins a heel, Dean a loser and Reigns into a wise cracking joker. They had Bully Ray on the books but didn't give him a chance to make anyone. Miz has done fuck all until this latest run, but he has always been awesome.

They literally don't want any top stars. It is mental

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Does it seem stupid to anyone else that Cessaro is the Swiss Superman but comes out with a James Bond entrance?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think D-D-D-Daz might agree with you.

Vince will tear a second quad again after seeing that. He'll be no-selling the injury and attempt to dropkick the nearest cruiserweight.

:laugh: Ha! Got a genuine laugh out of me, mainly because it's true

• Paid Members

Keller says the actual rating will be up from last week, a 1.97 up from 1.88 so at least they can spin it as a better share.

Overall though it's a disastrous sign for the rest of the summer. They don't just go against the NFL next week there's also the big Trump/Clinton debate. They've got no chance.

Edited by Benno

Has there ever been a time in the history of Raw where the show seems to have absolutely no stars at all? I really like Seth and Kevin Owens and stuff, but the headliners look like TNA off a few years ago. Like Bobby Roode and James Storm are main eventing, but you get that feeling they'll be back working tags in 3 months. Even when Raw was on its arse, you still saw Nash and Luger and they came across as stars. Even if they werent doing business, you'd at least go "I wouldnt mind meeting them at Woolworths". Its just strange watching Raw these days. Nothing really happens. We're counting down the months until Goldberg turns up or some fucker.

I suppose the "band aid era" (as some have called it) has finally killed week to week. The Undertaker, Brock, Cena, HHH are the stars. Everyone else just hangs around.

They haven't created a genuine star since 2005. To think that Cena and Batista were the last two genuine business effecting stars that they made is scary. Even the people we thought were stars like Punk and Bryan really weren't. They were just two guys that had a belt that hardcore fans liked but no one else wanted to pay to see. With the way they do things now, I just can't see where a star is going to come from.

They'll never be able to make a star now until someone who has Internet points and proper star quality waltzes in through the doors of NXT -- and the two things usually cancel each other out, so it's unlikely that'll ever happen.

The problem they've got now is that creeps like us who watch every week are the sort who attend the TV tapings. And those fans at the tapings turn on anyone who might interest normals. Normals are never going to have any interest in the likes of Ambrose and Owens, and the crowd reactions will put them off the potential stars. It must be confusing as fuck as well in terms of clocking who the goodies and baddies are.

The problem will exacerbate as more normals drop off as well, to the point where it'll be almost completely insular. There's not even any way out of it now that I can see.

Listening to Eric Bischoff at his tour the other week. He was asked about WWE ratings and he said that in this day and age with so many channels and so much choice of things to watch on tv to average 2 million people is a excellent figure and tv channels would love to have a show that drew that many people for one of its shows so he doesn't think Vince is that bothered and hed be realistic as times have changed.

• Moderators

They'll never be able to make a star now until someone who has Internet points and proper star quality waltzes in through the doors of NXT -- and the two things usually cancel each other out, so it's unlikely that'll ever happen.

Bobby Roode has both, but also is 40 innit.

If you mean someone new, Matt Riddle could fill that role of internet points and having a star quality to him, if he puts down the joint. Very raw but has all the tools required.

Edited by PowerButchi

Listening to Eric Bischoff at his tour the other week. He was asked about WWE ratings and he said that in this day and age with so many channels and so much choice of things to watch on tv to average 2 million people is a excellent figure and tv channels would love to have a show that drew that many people for one of its shows so he doesn't think Vince is that bothered and hed be realistic as times have changed.

This is all true, but "in this day and age" is relative, yes, compared to 1996 it's a different world we live in, a world of DVR viewership (again WWE said they were essential live programming, DVR proof), Hulu, Youtube, Streaming etc etc. What Vince SHOULD be bothered about is that compared to this time last year they have lost 700,000 viewers. That is criminal.

• Paid Members

That's extremely simplistic. TV Networks would love to have a show that draws 2 million viewers that actually makes reasonable ad revenue. Advertisers pay much less for wrestling because they think we're toothless neckbeard morons with no money.

The TV Networks pay more for the likes of Nascar and Major League Soccer even though they do nowhere near Wrestling ratings because they bring in far more ad revenue. The USA Network only keep WWE around because they bring up the station average. The less WWE do that the less USA are going to want to pay them.

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

This is definitely the least star power they've had since I've been watching. Even John Cena seems about a tenth of the megastar he did a couple of years ago.

The answer is to make stars who are cool. That's always the answer. What's cool in pop culture isn't the same as what's cool in wrestling though, probably because of the Emo nature of the audience. In the short term, they need to stop having popular Indy dudes pretend to be bad guys. There's no authenticity. They'd be better off playing up the hatred of Vince's guys against the little favourites while they try and groom the next big guys outside that spotlight.

• Awards Moderator

As with movies, the answer is REMAKES. Don't make new stars, just cast different people as the old ones! Get someone as 'Hulk Hogan', someone as 'Stone Cold', and just redo all the angles and matches that people nostalgically remember! At least if they did that they'll be in line with other popular culture.

As with movies, the answer is REMAKES. Don't make new stars, just cast different people as the old ones! Get someone as 'Hulk Hogan', someone as 'Stone Cold', and just redo all the angles and matches that people nostalgically remember! At least if they did that they'll be in line with other popular culture.

If you present someone with charisma and a little bit of ability in the same light as a hulk hogan type figure, it could work. I always think of Braun Strowman as a modern day Hulk. He sounds like him when he talks and he's huge. Learn a leg drop and get him out of his decorating clobber and he'll be away.

Edited by Loligan