The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

I think Punk and Bryan might just be supporting players. Bryan might still be more than that but Punk's gotta be finished soon anyway hasn't he? He looks awful. Cena walks in the room and you know he's the fucking man. The WWE have always known that. I'm pretty sure that the WWE felt the same about Punk too given his sustained push since he walked through the doors. Punk's always so desperate not to look like the man though that I think its proven to be his undoing. Austin might have been a 'rebel' too but he looked like the man in his day too. I'm not sure the WWE ever saw Bryan as being in that role really.

I think eventually we'll get to the point where WWE shit themselves as they did at WrestleManias XX and 21. They tried to change the face of the company at XX and it failed and so they tried to make new headliners at 21 and got it right, by, really, going back to basics. They went for the guys who looked a million bucks. Even if Batista wasn't their first option. I guess Roman Reigns might be a candidate in a few years, but not with that haircut. At the moment the E's still in its "nostalia" bit of the cycle. Give it a few years and they'll throw that out the window. Look at Mania's XX card compared to the potential Mania XXX card. Their focus isn't really on tomorrow. I think they're still far more concerned with their brand and reminding us of our associated memories of it than they are with making someone into a megastar.

• Paid Members

It's got to be Roman Reigns. He's brilliant. He looks the part, he's good in the ring, he bumps well, his mannerisms during the matches are fantastic and what little mic work he's done has been solid. It's just a question of timing with Reigns, and that's the tricky part.

• Paid Members
They tried to change the face of the company at XX and it failed

They really didn't. There was no serious thought of making Benoit the long-time top superstar. That was just meant as a happy ending and a nice reward to him for hard work.

It is really quite the achievement by WWE that they've managed to make me completely uninterested in their product at a time when they've got Daniel Bryan as top babyface.

I still think that Reigns will replace Orton as the Corporate chosen one when Orton finally screws up one too many times or has enough of being Triple H's bitch. I can almost picture the spear while Hunter looks on grinning.

Edited by Dirty Eddie

Its a sad state of affairs that they have to keep taking him out of the pickle jar when he should be resting. Its not that he's even setting high standards. Its more that everyone else is so far behind. When Cena first broke out big, Batista and Rey Mysterio (and arguable Jeff Hardy in 2008/09) were around the level and in some markets doing better than him. Now its shocking how far the rest of the pack have fallen behind.

You have to ask, are the people they are pushing as the next "guys" the right people they should be going for? Punk and Bryan are great wrestlers and they obviously have their place near the top of the card because they deliver the goods on the night, but do they hit the sweet spot of the kids painting their faces like Hardy, those who CRIED (fucking tears dripping down their face!) when Batista gave up the belt or those who were wearing the Rey masks? Jericho and Guerrero had their fans and had long careers, but they could never carry the house shows and TVs. Do Bryan and Punk have the hook that fans love in their Cenas and Batistas? There's no way in the day and age that you should have to rush someone back in 6 weeks from major surgery because nobody else can carry the ball. They have to make someone and someone needs to carry the ball. Fuck knows who that is.

I agree. As much as I like them both, they don't have a universal appeal. Cena doesn't either, sure, but he's excellent at making that big match feel and people can see at first sight he's a big bloke even if they're not into his character. Sheamus is just way too bland to be a proper replacement for Cena. Great wrestler, great look, good on the media circuit, shit on the mic.

History shows small guys generally don't draw as champs. Big E Langston might have something in him, as might Roman Reigns. Maybe they need some NFL rejects in again. The Performance Centre could attract that.

Wouldnt that make Orton a face or with nothing to do?

Almost as soon as they started the "Orton as HHH's corporate champion" story they included a few lines from Triple H like "the belt is mine, Orton is holding it for me" and the natural way these things tend to pan out in the long run is with a face turn for the guy being "used".

Don't get me wrong, I hate Orton as a face but that's probably where he'll end up eventually. Getting dumped out of his gang by Triple H again, just like with Evolution. I'm hoping all of this is a long, long way off.

They tried to change the face of the company at XX and it failed

They really didn't. There was no serious thought of making Benoit the long-time top superstar. That was just meant as a happy ending and a nice reward to him for hard work.

While I agree that afterwards they made Benoit something of an after thought, I'm not sure you have two guys standing on top of your entire company after your biggest show complete with a whole "where it all begins again" marketing term if you're not trying to persuade people that they're the new face of the company. That's a lot to give people as a favour for working hard.

Got a feeling at HITC, cena will beat del rio and Shawn will screw Daniel Bryan because of his friendship to HHH. The Ppv will end with Shawn and HHH doing the crotch chop over Bryan with Randy Orton as the new champ.

Cena and orton will then feud over who is the real face of the wwe unifying to two titles, while Bryan continues his feud with the mcmahons and HHH.

You heard it here first :-)

There are a couple of potential faces of the future at the min. Sandow has so much charisma, if he ever turns face and drops the gimmick he could work. I'd like to think that Barrett is worth a push as a face too.

• Paid Members

Finding good faces isn't the question. Its finding superstar names who everyone will pay money to see. Barrett and Sandow will never reach the levels of Punk and Bryan. Punk and Bryan are Iniesta and Xavi, but Cena is the one banging in 60 a year and winning the Ballon d'Or. The gap has never been bigger than it is for a while now. They need someone who can go on Sky Sports News and have the presented dribbling, like that woman a few years back when she was interviewing Batista. They need someone ready and able for when Cena gets injured next (and he will). Ryback (and the buyrate for Hell in the Cell) proved last year that people are desperate for a new hero. Even if its a shite Goldberg rip-off. Its not impossible to get someone over.

• Paid Members

I really think Ryback could have been the next big breakout star. When I went to Raw in London about 1/3 of the crowd were wearing his t-shirt, the other 2/3 were wearing Cena/Punk shirts. The big man has that special something. They've probably fucked him up completely by now but I believe in Ryback.

I think they have two really good prospects in Roman Reigns and Big E Langston as well. After Wrestlemania 30 they need to start getting both ready for big pushes.

Edited by LaGoosh