The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

He went from not been booked at Night Of Champions to being the #1 contender the following month at Hell In A Cell. Come to think of it, he hadn't been on PPV since July when he smashed Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks

Yes, he was superover, but he wasn't ready to be in the main event and they booked themselves into a corner with it. He had a hot undefeated streak going but wasn't ready for the belt. So he had to lose, as any other result in a Hell In A Cell math would have been completely stupid

Yet infinitely less stupid than the result that happened.

He could have been booked to go after the IC title, held that for a few months to then challenge for the world title when he was more ready for it.

So who could have fought Punk in the cell?

Orton? Sheamus? I forget what they were doing at the time. I read something a while back about Punk suggesting Kofi.

Ryback should've won decisively at Hell in a Cell only for Punk to win the belt back the next night on Raw via nefarious means. That way Ryback shows he can win big matches (and that it's worth buying the PPV next time he's given a shot) and Punk can still say he was champion on 434 consecutive days since less than 24 hours had passed between the two matches.

Have Ryback chase Punk in the following months and maybe even have a stare down or something with The Rock when he shows up for his title shot. Tease tension between the guy who should rightfully be champion and the guy who's walked in to a title shot after being away all year.

If the crowd are still giving him the big reactions, and especially if he comes across as a star in his interactions with The Rock, you can then have him run in to cost Punk the title at the Rumble. In retaliation Heyman has Lesnar interfere to cost the hitherto unstoppable Ryback the Rumble itself, sewing the seeds for Lesnar v Ryback at 'Mania 29 instead of the Triple H re-match that nobody was especially arsed about. Either he wins and gives Lesnar his heat back in the cage the following month, or vice-versa. From there you're all set for your Cena/Ryback double face title match.

Sorry to go all fantasy booker, but a little imagination and foresight could've made Ryback easily.

Edited by Pinc

• Paid Members

I always wondered if it wouldn't have been better to have Ryback beat Punk in relatively convincing fashion, and then the following night have Paul Heyman and Punk find some sort of vague contract loophole to strip Ryback of the belt. This way, Punk could claim, even more heelishly than before, to be a long-reigning champion (and the longer he went the more heat he'd get), Ryback would've been given the legitimacy and his streak would've been kept intact, and people could have enjoyed him chasing after Punk to win back the belt everybody knew he won - especially if Punk and Heyman, in keeping with their devious characters, kept finding ways to duck him.

Edited by Carbomb

The Bad Guy being fantastic on Twitter as usual, responding to what Lawler said about him on Raw:

"So apparently I do not know which way an elevator goes if you gave me two guesses according to Jerry Lawler. I can tell you one thing. If I was in an elevator with The Kat it would definitely be going down. Ryback Rules"

• Paid Members
The Bad Guy being fantastic on Twitter as usual, responding to what Lawler said about him on Raw:

"So apparently I do not know which way an elevator goes if you gave me two guesses according to Jerry Lawler. I can tell you one thing. If I was in an elevator with The Kat it would definitely be going down. Ryback Rules"

:laugh: Thats awesome

He went from not been booked at Night Of Champions to being the #1 contender the following month at Hell In A Cell. Come to think of it, he hadn't been on PPV since July when he smashed Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks

Yes, he was superover, but he wasn't ready to be in the main event and they booked themselves into a corner with it. He had a hot undefeated streak going but wasn't ready for the belt. So he had to lose, as any other result in a Hell In A Cell math would have been completely stupid

He could have been booked to go after the IC title, held that for a few months to then challenge for the world title when he was more ready for it.

Orton? Sheamus? I forget what they were doing at the time. I read something a while back about Punk suggesting Kofi.

I seem to remember at the time there was speculation about it being 3-way with team Hell No (who were pretty popular at the time).

Would have been easy to do as well. Team Hell No work together but eventually their bickering cost them and Punk manages to get an opportunistic victory.

This is probably what they should have gone with.

I'm not sure I buy Punk suggesting Kofi to main event against him for the big belt on ppv. That seems more like something a hopeless 'smart ' fan would think is a good idea because they might have a good match

The Ryback decision was their biggest mistake in years I think. Hence why people still debate over it now. That shows you how much people actually cared about the result of that match, and they got it wrong. They got the whole thing wrong. The result, the finish, the match itself.

• Paid Members

I've spent 10 minutes trying to work out what this all had to do with Scott Hall...

Nothing :(

I'm not sure I buy Punk suggesting Kofi to main event against him for the big belt on ppv. That seems more like something a hopeless 'smart ' fan would think is a good idea because they might have a good match

That's almost exactly what it is -- Punk himself came up with it. He said that was the plan for TLC last year, had Cena's injury not promoted Ryback in October, and had Punk not gotten injured. I'd have loved Kofi getting that shot. Punk would've given him a good go as well, they live in the bus together on the road.

That event would've been pretty shocking in terms of big matches, though. Cena vs Ziggler and Punk vs Kofi as the top two bouts. And Sheamus vs Big Show.