Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

On 11/20/2018 at 5:26 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

It does raise an interesting, more general question of whether a criminal assault charge could ever be successfully prosecuted over a wrestler deliberately stiffing/shooting on his opponent.

I suspect in most cases it would be near impossible to prove, and the business would close ranks against a police investigation, so a fake wrestling match is almost the perfect cover for a premeditated attack on a colleage. (If you both happen to be wrestlers, that is. Don't bother trying to arrange it with the prick who eats his crisps too loudly at the desk behind you.)

Ā 

New Jack pretty much tried to scalp Mass Transit in ECW and when that got took to court fuck all happened so I'd be surprised if anyone actually won a case if they pressed chargesĀ 

If you ignore that Deathmatch thread on this forum I can pretend that shit like this doesn't exist in wrestling any more. Ā I would rather tut at Joey Ryan flipping people with his dick than read about the latest major injury / near death experience in the "it's perfectly safe" Deathmatch genre. Ā Wrestling has evolved since the 90s and is capable of pulling in crowds without blood and guts and all that nonsense. Ā  The WWE has cleaned up their act to the point where a touch of colour in a match is genuinely shocking and has much more impact than anything in a death match.

All this shit belongs in the history books, in my opinion.

Ā 

I attended a show last night in which Jimmy Havoc participated in a Ladder Match.

He did a cool spot which I have never seen before but made total sense:

Ā 

Jimmy and his opponent were fighting at the top of a ladder when the opponent reached up to grab the title belt with his left hand. Jimmy got a staple-gun out of his pocket and stapled the lad in his bicep/armpit area. He immediately lowered his arm and winced as we in the crowd did too, twatted Jimmy again with his right hand and reached up before Jimmy stapled that bicep-armpit too.

Ā 

Bloody good match too. Havoc's opponent (Tyler Devlin, a local here in North Lincolnshire) took some gigantic bumps including the spot made famous by D-Von Dudley at SummerSlam 2000 where he was hanging from the wire which held the belt above theĀ ring before dropping and landing flat on his back rather than the more sensible and less painful feet-first option. Then for the finish Havoc took a big bump from the top of aĀ ladder on to another which was wrapped in barbed-wire and bridged between the firstĀ ladder and the bottom rope.

• Paid Members
On 11/24/2018 at 9:47 AM, Loki said:

If you ignore that Deathmatch thread on this forum I can pretend that shit like this doesn't exist in wrestling any more. Ā I would rather tut at Joey Ryan flipping people with his dick than read about the latest major injury / near death experience in the "it's perfectly safe" Deathmatch genre. Ā Wrestling has evolved since the 90s and is capable of pulling in crowds without blood and guts and all that nonsense. Ā  The WWE has cleaned up their act to the point where a touch of colour in a match is genuinely shocking and has much more impact than anything in a death match.

All this shit belongs in the history books, in my opinion.

Ā 

Not a lot of legit injuries coming out of deathmatches these days, bar your standard cuts and scrapes. You see more injuries happening in straight-up wrestling matches, mainly due to wear and tear, grueling schedules andĀ sheer unfortunate luck. Janela tore his knee executing a simple plancha. Shibata retired himself with a headbutt. Joey Ryan didn't bump on glass to tear his armpit, neither did Trips.Ā 

You can't even class the Marko Stunt injury asĀ aĀ deathmatch injury as it was an insane spot in a regular match. I've seen a few Canadian Destroyers off of elevated platforms in my day (that is an actual sentenceĀ I just wrote) but none had a major injury coming out of it...at least that I know of. Marko's injury was the result of poor planning and sheer bad luck.

I think, believe it or not, deathmatch wrestling has gotten a lot smarter in recent times. The guys know their limits and they're comfortable in that surrounding. They know the ins and outs, the tricks ofĀ the trade and they've got a solid grasp on the matter.

Take Jimmy Havoc'sĀ papercut spot for instance. Always gets a insaneĀ pop, but very good in how it's rooted in the Dusty Rhodes psychologyĀ of getting the biggest reaction from doing very little.

There's also an infamous spot involvingĀ Dean Ambrose back in his indie days; he took a giantĀ meat cleaver to the forehead. Insanity! People were up in arms at how stupidly dangerousĀ the spot was. But it was tremendously cleaver in it's execution. Dean revealed in an interview later on that they tested the machine beforehand and he said it felt soft and didn't leave a mark or hurt at all. So all he did was got some colour beforehandĀ and the back-and-forth motion of the 'knife' created a brilliantly gory image.

The days of untrainedĀ bumblefucks in Papa Roach tshirts, waddling round the ring stabbing each other andĀ legit gougingĀ their arms with box cutters, in matches filled withĀ botched spots aplenty in front of crowds of 50 people, are relegated to the shittiest of the shittiest indies. Practically out of sight.

The American deathmatch style that plaguedĀ the scene during the 00's has gone and has been replaced by three main archtypes;

- the slow-build Big Japan style where the weapons play an integralĀ part to the story and the few big spots are teased for maximum impact;

- the wild brawl that looks more akin to a Memphis style blood fight and features less emphasis on setting up spots and more on creating a tense, crazy,Ā unpredictable atmosphere;

- the creative, innovative weapons match where you have to suspend your disbelief that little bit more to get the pay off to a slew of whacky, ingenious bumps into fantastic contraptions.

The real good deathmatchesĀ either excel at any of those three structures, or if the stars and planets align, you get a brilliant mix of two or all three.

Even then, deathmatches areĀ mainly used as a special attraction these days. I don't think thereĀ is a single promotion worth anybodies money who run deathmatches every show. It certainly has it's place in today's wrestling scene but it's always going to cause a fuss among fans.

Edited by Accident Prone
Spelling and grammar, innit. Apart from 'cleaver', that's staying.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

I remember him power bombing someone out of the ring through a table on the floor and dropping them directly on the top of their head. He also stiffed some young guys in XPW and broke their ribs for no reason. If I recall correctly he was the absolute shits and very rarely got booked outside XPW.

Edited by LaGoosh