WWE Payback Discussion Thread

So, we have a predictions thread, but not a thread for pre/post show discussion.What a PPV. Top to bottom, I think it was easily PPV of the year. Maybe no one absolute classic match, but near every match exceeded expectations. When the worst match on the card was Dean Ambrose vs. Kane, that says something about the overall quality of the show.Curtis Axel winning wasn't a surprise, but the execution certainly was. Fast-paced and innovative, can't believe I'm saying that about a match involving Wade Barrett and The Miz.Kaitlyn vs. AJ had to be one of the best Divas matches in quite some time. Hard-hitting, nice drama with speed vs. power, and holy hell AJ took that spear like a champ.RVD returning at MITB! I know a lot of people here don't like RVD, but it's Philly, so I doubt he'll phone it in there, he would know full well the fans would crucify him if he didn't give 100%. I'm thinking RVD vs. Punk would be the best option.Stream cut out for Del Rio/Ziggler, but I heard it was good and very pleased about the double turn. Interested to see how Ziggler goes as a face, I've thought for a while he could flourish in that role.Punk vs. Jericho was pretty damn good and Punk didn't look affected by rust at all. Wasn't a total classic, but still the match of the night, both guys had their working boots on.Shield vs. Orton/Bryan was good but not great. The finishing sequence looked very smooth, surprised the announcers didn't know Rollins' Blackout finisher. Come on guys, do your research.Cena/Ryback was a nice main event, the order of the falls was a bit of a surprise, unless I missed something, they waited until Ryback's entrance to build up the story of Cena never pinning Ryback, which I guess will be Ryback's ammo for a MITB rematch.Overall grade: 8.5 out of 10. The Ambrose/Kane match and the lack of a transcendent match prevents a perfect score, but excellent, excellent show.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thought that show was really enjoyable. Most of the matches delivered the goods. Jericho and Punk was the best match the pair have ever had together, I thought. Belting match. The tag match was typically class, with the right finish and the right tease between Orton and Bryan. The main event was better than expected as well. I spotted the finish a mile off when they began tearing the ambulance up, though.

Extreme Rules was brilliant. This one, not so much.

If that's the shape CM Punk turns up in after a couple of months off, then it was actually a blessing in disguise that he returned so soon after Money in the Bank 2011. He was absolute turd, and Jericho wasn't much better. Their match played out like they were trying to do Undertaker vs Triple H but without a clue. It wasn't the worst match in the world, but such a disappointment. These two should be capable of so much better.

Ziggler vs Del Rio went in a direction I wasn't expecting! Had no interest at all in these two against each other, but now I'm intrigued.

The main event peaked when Cena did the big dive during the Lumberjack round. It was total by-the-numbers besides that. Hard to imagine Ryback doing anything next. What a chump he is. Kofi should give him a good hiding upon returning.

The problem with The Shield having good tag matches every week on TV is that there's nothing saved special for PPV with them. The tag title match was fine, but no better than what the same wrestlers have done on nearly every episode of Raw and Smackdown for months so it doesn't seem worth staying up and watching on a stream paying

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed that PPV.I loved the Ziggler finish brual, simple, affective.Best womens match in WWE for ages.Main event wasnt as bad as i was expecting, the ending to the match was great. Only downside was punk looks awful and i dont care about Jericho at all.

If that's the shape CM Punk turns up in after a couple of months off, then it was actually a blessing in disguise that he returned so soon after Money in the Bank 2011. He was absolute turd, and Jericho wasn't much better. Their match played out like they were trying to do Undertaker vs Triple H but without a clue. It wasn't the worst match in the world, but such a disappointment. These two should be capable of so much better.

That's incredibly harsh on that match. Thought it was excellent.

Fell asleep after the Divas - not at all due to the quality of the show, was knackered.The boys in the opener had their working boots on, didn't they?! I really liked the finish too. Good to see they're running with Master Perfect.

Pretty damn good PPV, streams held up for me (even though I had to switch between a couple and missed the finish to Ambrose/Kane)The double turn in the World title match was interesting, some of the kicks ADR landed were brutal to watch, the one to the jaw outside the ring especially.Glad to see Punk back, match with Jericho was good but not greatLoved the finish of the Triple threat, very innovativeDidn't like the way the WWE title match went, could have had it a lot more even than Cena winning two straight falls, amazing dive from Cena thoughWonder why RVD is back and how long for?

Didn't like the way the WWE title match went, could have had it a lot more even than Cena winning two straight falls, amazing dive from Cena though

I think they think that pinning Cena gives Ryback an "out" from the loss, or some bragging rights, so he had to take the first one. It's pretty standard storytelling as well, putting the babyface's back against the ropes 1-0 down.

PPV of the year for me too. Excellent stuff.Negative nancy ting . . Bullies come out on top. Sheamus and AJ winning sticks my craw a bit. The post match sympathy exit for Kaitlyn was bloody uncomfortable to watch. The commentary during the diva's match was deplorable, especially the King, god bless him. He made up for it a bit by complementing Ambrose and his brilliant beautiful face though.I'm still gonna moan about Bryan beating the Shield on a random Smackdown. Not even a fucking video package, already forgotten.But, yeah, it was great otherwise. Dolph/Del Rio, AJ/Kaitlyn and Punk/Y2J weren't the best matches ever but the drama was incredible. The double turn was executed perfectly. Loved the way the commentators slowly turned against Del Rios tactics. Looking forward to see how Dolph is as a face, hopefully my dream of turning his little faction face comes true as well. Only snag is Alberto's much better at wrestling face.Axel looked proper for the first time winning the belt, good for him. It'd be a shame if Orton goes heel. Randy as a fired up baby tag wrestler is the most I've ever enjoyed him. Him and Sheamus as a proper team would be awesome. It was cool to see Rollins hit his finisher(?) for once, the curb stomp thing is a brilliant little move and right up the Shields alley. The main was far better than expected, very enjoyable for the most part. Ryback ("It only gets worse from here!") and his power spots were impressive and Cena taking to the air was quality. You gotta laugh at Ryback though, poor fucker.

• Paid Members

I'm still gonna moan about Bryan beating the Shield on a random Smackdown. Not even a fucking video package, already forgotten.

By who? Is Bryan more over or less over since? The match wasn't designed for us to fondly remember Fridays free show. He's over enough for them not to shove it down our throat every 5 seconds.

Archived