WWE Payback Discussion Thread

Del Rio came off as a proper prick well before the announcers began talking about his viciousness and it was confusing why Dolph was the one taking the beatdown throughout, it was music to my ears when Cole and co began turning on him though and it made for great viewing. I can't say I'm overly thrilled that Del Rio has the championship again as I was looking forward to Dolph's reign and its a shame that Ziggler didn't get his moment with the ladder match at Extreme Rules, his reign will now simply be remembered for the brilliant cash in and his loss last night. However, Alberto had more heat last night than he ever did when he had the WWE Championship in 2011 when he was heavily featured and I think they could be on to something with this story. The fact that he effectively cut a smug babyface promo after the match means he may even still feel that he is a hero and get under the fans skin even more...perhaps in the style of 1997 Bret Hart to some extent. The rest of the show was really solid too, not much else to add which hasn't been said. Respect to Ryback's homage to Goldberg by smashing his hand through the window though.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think they did the whole double turn wrong, personally.I was hooked by it, and for the first time since I can remember got really involved. I was like "what a bastard" when Del Rio kept kicking him in the head, and some of it was even uncomfortable to watch. So in that respect, they got it right. I did feel sorry for Dolph and hated Del Rio. The bit they got wrong though was that both men have partners that aren't turning, or have no way to reasonably turn. Ricardo is super over, more so than Del Rio arguably, but he just suddenly became a prick and it made no sense. He had no remorse and didn't try to stop Del Rio once. Didn't make sense. AJ had only just earlier broken a fully grown woman into tears and has been one of the top heels for some time now, and Big E Langston has been feuding with a face Del Rio for months. So yeah, Del Rio and Dolph turned successfully, but how can you have a face Dolph team with two heels? And why is Ricardo now a full-on heel for no reason?Thought the show as a whole was good. Saw the "going through the top of the ambulance" spot coming a fucking mile off. Thought the wrong guy went over though, and not because I hate Cena or anything. Ryback as a heel has been fantastic, regardless of his record. He could have came off strong here but instead he'll go back to complaining about losing again.Women's match was quality, and after Kaitlyn's George Michael cry on Raw, I was shocked to see her really pull the heartbreak thing off so well last night. Punk looked hilarious. I've never bought into the notion that he's too small or skinny or whatever, but last night he was. He looked like some bloke off the street and his muttonchops were dog shit. He put no effort in because it was a home crowd and he could have turned up in the shape of the Honky Tonk man and got away with it. I know it was a home crowd, but just coming back as a face doesn't work either. There wasn't even a turn, he was just acting face-y.All matches involving The Shield I couldn't care less about. The Smackdown win from the other night should have been tonight where it would have gotten a much better reaction and meant a little more than a throwaway match on the B-Show. Results were predictable.Opener was great from what I caught of it, Axel looked a way bigger star than usual but it's mainly down to the crowd and commentary hyping his Dad. He'll come out to nothing again tonight.Was there anything else on it? If so I've forgot.

• Paid Members

I must say, I cant see the hate for the Jericho and Punk match at all. Each to his own, and there's stuff I hate that everyone loves (like the previous Jericho and Punk matches), but I thought it was an excellent match. I haven't enjoyed a match that much since Punk vs Undertaker. CM Punk was really great I thought. He put on a likable babyface performance (which hopefully means he'll be far more likable than his last face run) in front of a red hot crowd. Curtis Axel vs CM Punk might be in our future very soon I think. Would be exactly the right opponent for Curtis as well.Still the worst facial hair in the business, though. I wish he'd just grow back his chin beard. It was the only thing that looked half decent on him.

I thought Jericho/Punk was very good, but then I'm a fan of both anyway. It was actually a really solid night of action. The main event was the only thing I didn't give two shits about. The divas match was way better than Cena/Ryback. Probably the best women's match (in terms of both action and drama) in a good few years.

And why is Ricardo now a full-on heel for no reason?

The same reason he was a full-on face for no reason when Del Rio turned face. He's devoted to his boss. He backs what Del Rio does. It was weird that his mannerisms went straight back to smug heel smirk, though.The Ziggler/AJ thing is quite interesting. I don't know what they can do with that, unless she dumps him now she's a champion and he isn't. Has there ever been a babyface man/heel woman couple in wrestling? I'm drawing a blank. I know you get the reverse all the time, but doing it this way seems like it castrates the bloke a bit.

• Paid Members

I thought Punk's match fell short of expectations. It wasn't shit by any means, but it just didn't draw me in. I guess that's in part because of who he was facing and the fact that there was nothing on the line. The only moment that made me really pay attention was when it looked like he might fall out with Heyman for attempting to interfere. I would have liked more of that sort of interaction.He's taking the piss coming back looking like that though. Comedy sideburns and skinnier than ever. If anyone further down the food chain was given two months off to rest and came back looking worse than when they left, they would be sent home or jobbing to R-Truth on Main Event.

Thing is, though, he doesn't do heavy weightlifting or follow a bodybuilding diet. He does circuits and BJJ and yoga and pretends he's in a band, or a fighter, or whatever. Giving him two months off of chucking massive blokes about every night was only ever going to make him skinnier.His look didn't bother me (comedy sids aside), but its pretty shit he was blowing so badly early on. The minute he complained about he 'hot' it was I knew he was in trouble.I like Punk, though. And if he needed an audience that would forgive his pitfalls, that was it.

• Paid Members

Thing is, if he's doing circuits and BJJ and yoga, then the last thing he should be doing is blowing up. His cardio should be excellent. I could understand The Rock hanging out of his hoop at the Royal Rumble, because he's obviously built for show, not to go. Punk's the polar opposite, but still couldn't go.

That's true and he should have been WAY more ready then he was, but there's an element of truth in what JBL said about there being 'gym shape' and then 'ring shape'. There's not many activities that will emulate a pro-wrestling match, so that will explain at least part of his lack of match fitness. But, yeah, I'd guess he's not gone pedal to the metal in his time off.

• Paid Members

Punk went way and above the call of duty I felt. I'm surprised I'm defending him so much, but the bloke is fucked. He's been brought back 2 months early because WWE needs him on Raw. His knees and back are completely shot at the minute. Its his first match back since WrestleMania, he's working hurt and they went over the time allocated and he worked super hard in front of a crowd who would have still been happy if he'd have turned in a t-shirt, did the finger poke of doom and left. If they had any issues regarding his cardio (which I'm sure they dont since the match and the reaction came off better than anything on the whole show), maybe they should think twice about dragging their stars back when they are supposed to be off for another 2 months.

They definitely shouldn't have brought him back yet. He looked like shit and like he couldn't be arsed. It was the location that doomed them. If he wasn't there, it'd have been "We want Punk" chants all night. Should've just had him do a speech, could've done a breakup storyline with Heyman, then gone back to bed until a few weeks before SummerSlam.

• Paid Members

Has there ever been a babyface man/heel woman couple in wrestling? I'm drawing a blank. I know you get the reverse all the time, but doing it this way seems like it castrates the bloke a bit.

There was about a month long period when Triple H returned in 2002 where he was a face with his heel wife Stephanie. They were together from when he got back a few weeks before the Rumble until they broke up at their wedding vow renewal ceremony thing. You can definitely get away with a male face/female heel couple for a couple of weeks, as long as the guy eventually gets wise to her and ditches her in spectacular fashion. If its a case of what you said, where she ditches him because she is a champion and he is a loser, then it would castrate him.

• Paid Members

If Punk was at home on the understanding that he was having time off until SummerSlam, then got a call just a couple of weeks ago to say they wanted him to work Chicago, then I can let him off for not being in the best shape. Not the sideys though.If Punk was at home on the understanding that he was having time off until SummerSlam, then got a call just a couple of weeks ago to say they wanted him to work Chicago, then I can let him off for not being in the best shape. Not the sideys though.

Archived