WWE Payback Discussion Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

But they should! It's about making moments and sign posting the evolution of somebodies career. Headlining a heavily promoted match on Raw >> a go home episode of a program that barely gets acknowledged by the proper show.

That wasn't the story they were telling. They are teasing a Orton and Bryan feud. You dont want to confuse the issue by shifting the story of the match to whether the Shield can beat Bryan. I dont see your point. Daniel Bryan's an established name and the 2nd most popular babyface they have. People dont need reminding of it. He isnt some nobody they just shipped up from NXT. On the contrary, you dont want to shove it in our face that the Shield took a loss. If you hyped it up the story becomes "can the Shield get their win back", which they didn't want.

• Moderators

I'd bet my bank account that Ryback wins the table match fall

Another one for my "stupid overblown overconfident predictions" signature there.Decent show, but the prospect of RVD and his undercut and wet arse on my telly in 2013 really put a downer on everything for me.

The Ziggler story/result was way better than I was expecting. Ziggler as a bland heel that nobody boos wrestling the same babyfaces he's wrestled a million times is a terrible prospect. Ziggler with some actual character direction chasing the title as a resilient face is something different.

I mentioned to my mate a few weeks back that they should do the old HBK "post concussion syndrome" babyface turn for Ziggler. Go the whole "more guts than brains" deal and make him a never-say-die babyface who takes an ass kicking and never gives up. Didn't think they'd do it so close after the Triple H head-injury stuff, but the way this played out was a nice twist on the idea.

Apparently Raw's been written on the fly the last few weeks. They've completely dropped the Triple H brain trauma thing, haven't they? The first week, the McMahons were worried about his health. Then it turned into Steph being on Hunter's side and Vince thinking Triple H lowering himself to Axel was bad for business.

• Paid Members

I always hoped that a Dolph Ziggler face turn would be a bit of a big 'moment', rather than it just being a case of fans feeling a bit sorry for him because he got his head kicked in and was beaten cleanly in the middle of the ring for the World Title by the babyface that he stole it from just a few months ago.The way I saw it, last night Dolph came out as cocky as ever, shaking his ass while his belt hung off it, then got in the ring and had his ass brutally handed to him by Del Rio. That's not a face turn, that's a comeuppance.Now, I agree it's not as clear cut as that, but does anyone else see where I'm coming from here? Del Rio did little wrong, he was just ruthlessly efficient in despatching Ziggler.I've been given no reason to cheer for Dolph other than the fact that he's a bump machine. If last night was supposed to mark his face turn, then colour me underwhelmed. I'm not cheering for a chump.

• Paid Members

Anyone heard about the guy on Reddit? Every month he posts the WWE spoilers before each PPV. He apparently works in WWE and is doing it to be a cunt. Read his post before the show last night:

As I promised, I am back with the results of the Pay Per View.Again, this is not a prediction thread, these are the RESULTS for anyone who is interested.Enjoy.Winners of the matches tonight are listed below.John Cena (Ryback wins lumberjack. Cena wins tables + hospital matchCM PunkCurtis AxelThe ShieldDean AmbroseAJ LeeAlberto Del Rio wins (However, I was told there was a twist. Do not be surprised if he does not retain)

He's done this the last few times now and got the results all spot on. So avoid Reddit for Money in the Bank.

Not doing anything wrong isn't the same as being a sympathetic, empathetic babyface character, though. ADR was brutal, relentless and resorted to attacking a man from behind when the doctors were checking if he could even continue. It was the most heel-ish performance he's ever given. I'm more interested in him now then I've ever been.I enjoyed the main event. It was fun.People are raving about Punk/Jericho and pointing out the great story of him being out of ring condition, but overcame it thanks to raw talent. I think that's generous. The match was good, not great, but he was clearly ACTUALLY blowing out of his arse after 5 minutes and the goodwill of the crowd, and a clever announce team, covered for him.

• Paid Members

Valid responses on the Del Rio / Ziggler thing. On the whole, I will be glad to see Dolph as a face, it's far preferable to being a heel that gets cheered, but wish that he could have made the turn himself, rather than be turned through gettting his ass whipped.

What do people make of Ziggler dropping the belt already? Are they still playing cautious with him?

It made sense in the context of the match and the story they were telling, so it came off better than expected. They also probably think there is more mileage in babyface Dolph chasing the title.Having said that, it is problematic because Ziggler losing the belt so quickly sort of buries him, and Del Rio is even more boring as a heel than he is as a face. My first instinct was that DZ was injured or in trouble with management, but they way they booked it with the concussion and the double turn suggested losing the belt was just a step towards the face turn.

Archived