Raw, 10th June. Payback Go-Home Show

Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

He wasn't ruined from HIAC though, that's my point. Yeah, he should have been with what went down but he was still over like fuck with the majority for a good while after. Hell in a Cell alone didn't ruin him at all. The preceding months did. Royal Rumble killed him then raped his lifeless carcass.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty apathetic towards Ryback at the moment, partly because he has indeed been booked like a chump for ages and also because of his dreadful promos.Every backstage altercation and in-ring promo has been wooden, stupid and most importantly really boring. He just drones on and sucks the life out of the room whenever he speaks. He's really bad, even by wrestling standards of acting. He'd certainly have far more momentum right now if they'd kept him strong the last 5 months, had him soundly beat Henry at mania and kept him as a face, but I still think he'd soon have been exposed for the rubbish promo he is, either way. You can't "take John Cena's spot" without taking over a large burden of speaking/promo time, and he's just not nearly good enough.

• Paid Members

He's really bad, even by wrestling standards of acting.

Thats the thing, though. Those things dont seem half as bad when you are over. Ryback now is some jacked up bloke doing horrific scripted promos. A year ago people were genuinely thinking he was the next big babyface. Remember when everyone was punching the air when he was Skip Sheffield and breaking necks and cashing cheques. If you are well protected, you dont notice how shit someone is. If they'd have Hercules would have beat the Warrior at WrestleMania IV he'd have been some mad bastard talking about planets doing six man tags with Demolition for the rest of his run.People have brought up Daniel Bryan and the Shield (or two of them at least) being able to lose matches and remain over, but they are a different breed altogether. Daniel Bryan can do a million jobs. His work ethic is the reason why people like him. Rollins and Ambrose know how to make themselves look good in defeat as well. The likes of Ryback, Luger, Warrior, Batista need wins. Big guys need to win consistently. Its pointless being billed as a big huge unstoppable monster if you aren't a unstoppable monster.

Is everyone missing the fact that Ryback has shown he wasnt anymore than a green guy on a bit of a hot streak? He probably would have bombed as champion and they probably made the right move in not putting the belt on him? I agree in hindsight they made mistakes booking themselves into a corner but hes shown hes clearly no more than a very average worker who can barely talk.

• Paid Members

Is everyone missing the fact that Ryback has shown he wasnt anymore than a green guy on a bit of a hot streak?

How did he do that? I know when the buyrate came in for Hell in a Cell (a pay-per-view without John Cena) it did brilliant numbers. I also know after Hell in a Cell he hasn't won on PPV since. All I've seen is a character who was over and showed that he could draw money get buried under ground by some horrendous booking. "Probably would have bombed" could have been said about a lot of world champions. A lot of them weren't over to the level of Ryback in October 2012.

He's really bad, even by wrestling standards of acting.

Thats the thing, though. Those things dont seem half as bad when you are over. Ryback now is some jacked up bloke doing horrific scripted promos. A year ago people were genuinely thinking he was the next big babyface.
I agree certainly about the overness part, as I said, he'd certainly have more momentum as a face who'd been kept quite strong than the winy turd he is now. I still think people would quickly have started to see the cracks if he'd been given the belt though. Like it or not, WWE always want their top face cutting long promos and Ryback is plain bad at that part of the game. Batista was in a similar position early on and to his credit he grew to become a very good promo and there's always the chance that Ryback will do the same but Batista always struck me as being a far smarter and more articulate man than Ryback in real life.

• Paid Members

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind his promo style. He's a big snorting, snarling meathead. He's not meant to be articulate or clever, especially now that he's a heel. I quite like that he gets out of breath halfway through a short sentence. I do think he needs work, but I'm not put off by his promos.

Ryback is funny as fuck . . calling himself Beelzebub and Lucifer and telling the crowd he'll send them to the morgue. His entrance out of the ambulance is great. I think the heel turn was their last opportunity to really go with Ryback, press 'reset' if you like, but they've carried on presenting him like a dick and Cena's treated him accordingly. They've moved on.

• Paid Members

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind his promo style. He's a big snorting, snarling meathead. He's not meant to be articulate or clever, especially now that he's a heel. I quite like that he gets out of breath halfway through a short sentence. I do think he needs work, but I'm not put off by his promos.

Arch, that the problem though. They're giving him *lots* of promo time where he's trying to speak like a cerebral villain, not a killer. They'd never have Brock stay stuff like that, he just kills dudes. I get that on turning him they ha to change his character, because just continuing to kill dudes is what got him over, but his promos should be more like menrys, an less like Damian sandow

• Paid Members

Yeah, I deliberately said I didn't mind his promo 'style', because it's his delivery that I'm fine with. I definitely agree that the content of the promos is letting him down. Too many long words and turns of phrase that aren't befitting of his character. They shouldn't be scripting stuff for him that makes it sound so obvious that it's somebody else's words. Ryback won't have the clout to change what he's handed, so I'm blaming Creative for any complaints I have about his mic work.

• Paid Members

They usually do the big summer angle post June PPV, so they might have their thinking caps on at the minute. Usually when I think of June in WWE, I think "big waste of time".

What was their big summer angle last year?Not being a smart arse, I just genuinely don't remember.

Anyone think there's a chance of Heyman turning on Punk at Payback this Sunday? I've thought that it seems rushed bringing back Punk for a slightly thrown together match with Jericho, even it it is in his hometown. For me, the issue is where does Punk go after facing Jericho? There's no real storyline for him to walk into, unless they're going to throw him into the title picture straight away and I'm not sure they'll do that. It would really give Punk an interesting programme for the summer with plenty of matches to go with it. It would give his feud with Jericho more mileage if Heyman were to turn (and presumably align with Jericho in the process) and there could be potential programmes with Axel and Brock Lesnar in the future as well. I'm not saying that this is going to happen, but Punk isn't coming back this Sunday just to work a straight match with a clean finish.

Archived