Raw, 10th June. Payback Go-Home Show

Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

It's the last Raw before Payback. They will want to put out a strong show, especially after getting a bit of a bumming in the ratings thanks to the basketball last week. Apparently Vince was feeling a bit sore about that, even though there's not a lot they could have done about it.

Anyway, here's the official WWE.com preview for tonight's episode...

20130603_RAW_TripleH_Axel_PRE_LIGHT_HOMEPAGE.jpg

1. Triple H vows to defy Mr. McMahon and Stephanie

It’s an unfamiliar situation Triple H has found himself in. For his own good, The Game has been ordered not to compete by Mr. McMahon and Stephanie. Despite the demands of his wife and father-in-law, the WWE COO has vowed to compete against Curtis Axel Monday night on Raw. If the match occurs, is Axel’s winning streak going to come to an end, or will Paul Heyman’s guy find a way to get another victory? Finally, will there be repercussions if Triple H defies the McMahons’ orders?

2. The return of the World Heavyweight Champion

It’s official. World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler has been medically cleared to compete. The news broke on Friday’s SmackDown when the champion appeared via satellite following a match involving his No. 1 contender Alberto Del Rio. What will unfold when The Showoff comes to Monday’s Raw?

3. Kaitlyn’s secret admirer to be revealed

After weeks of speculation, WWE Divas Champion Kaitlyn’s secret admirer will finally be revealed on Monday’s Raw. How will the Divas Champion react when she meets her mystery devotee? Will there be any sparks between the two? Regardless of who it turns out to be, countless members of the WWE Universe can only continue to dream of the opportunity to meet the stunningly beautiful champion face-to-face.

4. Punk watch continues

Last week, the contract was signed for the WWE Payback match between CM Punk and Chris Jericho. But with Punk still nowhere to be found, Paul Heyman signed the contract for his client. Will The Second City Saint continue to lay low, or will he resurface before WWE Payback?

5. Will Cena finally get some payback?

From out of nowhere, Curtis Axel has scored two major wins over WWE Champion John Cena and one against Triple H. During last week’s Cena vs. Axel match, Ryback interrupted and plowed Cena through a table. The week before, Ryback dismantled the champion in a sneak attack at the close of Raw. It’s been a rough few weeks for Cena. Cena and Ryback will be face-to-face live tonight on Raw. Will Cena finally get some retribution and gain momentum before WWE Payback?

Then there's also this...

Fandango suffers concussion

WWE.com sources have reported that Fandango suffered a concussion during the SmackDown taping on Tuesday night and was pulled from WWE Live Events throughout the week. Fandango passed his impact test, but has yet to pass further testing needed for clearance. There is speculation backstage at the Richmond Coliseum — the site of tonight’s Raw — as to how this will affect the scheduled Intercontinental Championship Triple Threat Match at WWE Payback this Sunday pitting the dancing Superstar and The Miz against reigning titleholder Wade Barrett.

And perhaps more interesting than any of that stuff, at the end of last week's SmackDown, a frustrated Randy Orton laid out Daniel Bryan with an RKO after yet another loss to The Shield. Could be the start of the long-rumoured heel turn for Randy, although it's the sort of thing his character can do and get away with. I hope he isn't turning to be honest, I think he's been in great form recently. Either way, it looks like the two could be heading towards a match at the PPV. Not sure where that will leave Kane or The Shield if that happens though. There are quite a few loose ends to tidy up on the show tonight.

Oh, and I suppose there's a chance that the Wyatt Family may debut tonight, which would be cool. At the very least there should be more promos for them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the Payback card's going to be. The Cena/Ryback match being three falls should take up a fair bit of time, but they'll still need a good five or so more. The only other matches announced are Jericho vs Punk and the Intercontinental triple threat, which is now in jeopardy. And for some reason, despite the lack of announced matches on the PPV itself, they've announced Sheamus vs Sandow for the pre-show.I really hope they replace Fandango in the triple threat with someone else tonight if he's not cleared. I don't want to see another Miz-Barrett singles match.Ziggler's cleared to wrestle, isn't he? So he might be wrestling tonight and trying to drum up interest in a Payback match with Del Rio which nobody will care about.

I'm thinking a card of:Three Stages of Hell- John Cena vs Ryback- WWE TitleWorld Heavyweight Title- Alberto Del Rio vs Dolph ZigglerIC Title- The Miz vs Wade Barrett vs Fandango(If he's cleared)Chris Jericho vs CM Punk( I think it'll be a swerve though and it'll end up being Axel)Divas Title- A.J vs Kaitlyn(I reckon A.J will be revealed as the admirer to mess with her head)Tag Titles- Hell No vs The Shield(If Hell No lose they have to split)U.S Title- Randy Orton vs Dean Ambrose

I didn't realise that Fandango had suffered a concussion. Seems to the thing at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if they replace Fandango with someone like R-Truth in the triple-threat match or go with yet another Miz/Barrett match. Personally I've had my fill of watching these guys over the last few months and I currently couldn't care less about them at all. Who knows, they might give Barrett another entrance theme to make it interesting.Even though it's being advertised, I still think that Punk's going to pull a no-show at Payback and be replaced by Curtis Axel. If he does return, it's hard to see where he would go from having a match with Jericho, especially as he's not been gone for that long. It just seems all a bit rushed through just so they can use him in his hometown on PPV. That's if it happens.It'll be good to see Ziggler return tonight, even though the thought of him coming back to a match with Alberto doesn't really excite me all that much. It'll be interesting to see where he goes once that's out the way and if they start planting the seeds for the inevitable Big E turn soon. Speaking of Big E , I was catching up on NXT from the last couple of weeks earlier on and it dawned on me that he speaks like a black comedian doing an impression of a lame white guy.

Even though it's being advertised, I still think that Punk's going to pull a no-show at Payback and be replaced by Curtis Axel. If he does return, it's hard to see where he would go from having a match with Jericho, especially as he's not been gone for that long. It just seems all a bit rushed through just so they can use him in his hometown on PPV. That's if it happens.

When did WWE last do blatant false advertising of a top PPV match? Survivor Series '99?

• Paid Members

Steve Austin at least turned up and did an angle in front of the live crowd on Sunday Night Heat. There's no way CM Punk's not going to be in Chicago after they've advertised him. WWE is a public company. They can't false advertise. They'd have to justify it to the stock holders why during a period where viewership is down, why they feel the need to alienate viewers even further by falsely promoting an appearance by one of their biggest names. And if by chance Punk doesn't show up on Sunday, WWE would be fucking idiots. Which they aren't.Many are suggesting that Punk and Jericho are doing a double turn on Sunday, with Heyman signing the match behind Punk's back and then Heyman turning on him mid match. That sounds more plausible. Especially in Chicago.

• Paid Members

There may be a double-swerve. I think Axel may well end up wrestling Jericho at Payback, where Heyman puts him into the match because he's no idea where Punk is. Only for Punk to return during the match to lay Curtis out. Obviously that's the full face turn scenario. I've no idea if that is on the cards or not, but CM Punk is the biggest babyface in the world as far as Chicago is concerned, so he's either out there getting monster pops on Sunday or you're getting an arena full of Chicagoans shitting all over every match that follows.

Bryan vs Rollins was wicked. The Cera vs Cesaro match was surprisingly fun, even the crap crowd got into it. Looks like they could be putting Zeb with Cesaro so they've not given up on him just yet. Raw was really fucking terrible for the most part though. That opening nonsense was one of the worst show openers I can remember. It's like they chucked the Mchmahon's faces on there to spark some interest but didn't bother writing anything. Shite.

The whole Colter/Cesaro pairing makes no sense though. Zeb is anti immigration ... and Cesaro is a 'swiss national.' I realise it's good as Antonio is someone who could use a bit of help promoting himself. Yeah, he might be one of the better wrestlers on the roster, but WWE just can't seem to make up their mind with him. How many different quirks have they given him, and all the inconsistency has affected the fan's response to him. This direction just makes no sense though. Surely Zeb should be claiming 'They took err jerbss' instead of praising him.

The whole Colter/Cesaro pairing makes no sense though. Zeb is anti immigration ... and Cesaro is a 'swiss national.' I realise it's good as Antonio is someone who could use a bit of help promoting himself. Yeah, he might be one of the better wrestlers on the roster, but WWE just can't seem to make up their mind with him. How many different quirks have they given him, and all the inconsistency has affected the fan's response to him. This direction just makes no sense though. Surely Zeb should be claiming 'They took err jerbss' instead of praising him.

I'm not going to defend WWE to the hilt, and claim that everything they have ever done makes perfect sense, but maybe give it more than a week to unfold? The reasoning behind it all could easily unfold over the next few weeks.

Archived