Mick McManus RIP

Up Chuck

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'd retired by the time I was 1, but growing up watching wrestling as a kid I'd know all about him from my Dad, who'd tell me stories about it all. Took me years before I could find any old tapes of his matches, and the suspension of disbelief kicked in. Everything felt real watching him, a lot of modern stuff is so ridiculous that you know you're watching a show. Mick's matches looked like you were watching two men fighting, and that the other guy was getting a beating.

RIP Mick Mcmanus.

• Paid Members

The only man to ever make my gran swear. A true legend of the business, possible the meanest, toughest heel in the UK.

Bet he still had jet black hair at 93.

RIP Mick, we loved to hate you.

• Awards Moderator

Sad news. Obviously he lived to a good age, but that news story about him in the home after his wife died is very sad. (Also interesting that Lord Attenborough is a resident there too.)

News of the old-time British wrestlers always reminds me of my nana. McManus was her favourite wrestler - she liked the baddies, apparently, and a Saturday's entertainment in Newcastle for her would be to watch McManus and Pallo at the City Hall in Newcastle, followed by the bingo. My parents remember McManus immediately thanks to his black trunks and hair - it's great how even something simple like that will stick in the mind if you have the character to go along with it.

RIP Mick.

Archived