Mick McManus RIP

Up Chuck

My obituary for him at The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/22/mick-mcmanus

Good obit, Lister. Out of interest, what was the name of the pub he ran in Guildford, do you know? Might pop down there for a pint if it's still in business.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2051481_..._colourful_past

Too late, Loki.

Rats. It has, however, been transformed into one of Guildford's best Chinese restaurants. It's what Mick would have wanted.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can hear the full interview I recorded with William Regal on his memories of Mick on the BBC Radio Humberside Afternoon Show with Phil White (no relation!) at about 2.50pm today.

BBC Radio Humberside

Will that be online to listen to after the broadcast as well?

It should be here later tonight....

William Regal on Phil White's Afternoon Show (BBC Radio Humberside)

The interview runs about 50 minutes into the show.

• Paid Members
You can hear the full interview I recorded with William Regal on his memories of Mick on the BBC Radio Humberside Afternoon Show with Phil White (no relation!) at about 2.50pm today.

BBC Radio Humberside

I listened to the show but it was only a five-minute-or-so segment with Regal talking. Is there more or was that it?

BBC Radio Humberside

I listened to the show but it was only a five-minute-or-so segment with Regal talking. Is there more or was that it?

That was it......we only had a small window of opportunity plus as as it isn't part of our 'core' broadcasting (i.e. non local) we wouldn't have spent a much longer talking about it. Hope you enjoyed what we did have.

• Paid Members

Great piece scanned in by Ray Plunkett for the "Real World of Sport Wrestling" Facebook group. Note how the "more people watched than the Cup Final" story starts before the match!

947121_10201392462319226_1915821388_n.jpg

• Paid Members

I think Meridian did a short piece, rehashed from when they covered the reunion a couple of years back. Not heard of anything elsewhere. It was a bit of a "soldier beheaded on the street" kind of news day.

I think Meridian did a short piece, rehashed from when they covered the reunion a couple of years back. Not heard of anything elsewhere. It was a bit of a "soldier beheaded on the street" kind of news day.

Sad. It's just silly to see a football manager retires and gets a whole day coverage on Sky News and yet (correct me if I'm wrong) not a single word on the passing of a British pop culture icon from the 60's-70's.

My obituary for him at The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/22/mick-mcmanus

You deserve all the credit in the world for that beautiful obituary John. I'm not trying to be soft here but thanks; Mick McManus must be one of the reasons a few of us post on this great forum and your article conveyed both respect and affection so thanks again.

It has been so nice to read the various tributes; none of which are laced or spiced with some of the sarcasm that met Kent Waltman's passing Quentin Letts has a decent full page article entitled 'Lucifer of the Jockstrap' on page 17 of today's Daily Mail.

I always remember listening to Radio5 when Giant Haystacks death was announced. I'm sure it was the breakfast show and they spoke for a short while with fond memories of watching him. As seen from the amazing touching tributes to Tony Hart or Oliver Postgate, it's always sad when a face or name from your childhood dies. For whatever reason both Haystacks and McManus' passing evoke(d) this and something else as both deaths there seems to be true sadness.

I'm very glad that I met him at a show in 1999. What a gentleman; though one who, even at 78, did convey a 'you really don't want to mess with me' attitude.

Shuggy

• Paid Members

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about the obituary. Obviously it was written with a general audience in mind, so I'm pleased wrestling fans liked it.

For those of you who subscribe to the Wrestling Observer/Figure Four site, they've just posted a radio show we recorded today talking about McManus, his career and wrestling in general.

Sad. It's just silly to see a football manager retires and gets a whole day coverage on Sky News and yet (correct me if I'm wrong) not a single word on the passing of a British pop culture icon from the 60's-70's.

As John said, the news of Lee Rigby's murder pushed a lot of stories further down the editorial food chain. Whilst it would've been fitting for Mick to get his share of the news agenda, I don't know many people who would question the fact that a brutal murder, the likes of which I hope we never see again, takes priority.

We (Radio Humberside) had the same situation in that our planned feature on Mick in the Newshour had to be bumped due to the ongoing coverage of the Woolwich incident.

• Paid Members
For those of you who subscribe to the Wrestling Observer/Figure Four site, they've just posted a radio show we recorded today talking about McManus, his career and wrestling in general.

Belting interview. Learned a lot about McManus and the varies contractions and exaggerations of the hype built up over time. There's a certain charm about lapsed fans remembering stuff that was either a work or never actually happened as fact. My Dad's like that. He'll swear blind he saw Kendo Nagasaki get his finger chopped off after he lost his mask. In a way when you are so into wrestling your imagination becomes fact over time based on how well the wrestlers were so over. Its the same with comics. Its the same with films. For example, its only when I read Bret Hart's book he said he bladed in the Piper match, but for years I thought the bulldog Piper gave him broke his nose because I remember my brother telling me thats what happened. The fiction is way more interesting than fact.

• Paid Members

What is it with pro wrestling and the mainstream media? I was reading that Mirror webpage and it was all going well until the sign-off sentence:

the days when Saturdays meant watching fat men in leotards play-acting in the ring?

Archived