Mick McManus RIP

Up Chuck

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Mick. A true legend in British wrestling. I know someone said it earlier on, again, one of the only wrestlers that older generations name drop when discussing wrestling with me. A damned fine legacy and a damned fine innings. Rest in peace Mick

• Paid Members

Brilliant article there from Lister.

RIP Mick, I recall my late grandad fucking hated him. If people still hate you long after you hung up the boots, then I guess it was a job well done.

"So passionate were some spectators that after a match in Chatham, Kent, where he characteristically cheated to win, the audience were invited to submit formal witness statements to a supposed official hearing into the bout".

^ Fantastic. Great obituary John.

The first time I heard the name Mick McManus was after a WWF house show in March 1994. The taxi driver asked what my aunt and I had been to see at the exhibition centre, and after telling him about the show and seeing the champion Bret Hart the driver said he stopped watching once Mick McManus stopped working. The reason being it became fake after that.

Even at ten years old I thought that was some testament.

To echo what others have said John's piece in the Guardian is outstanding.

• Paid Members
The first time I heard the name Mick McManus was after a WWF house show in March 1994. The taxi driver asked what my aunt and I had been to see at the exhibition centre, and after telling him about the show and seeing the champion Bret Hart the driver said he stopped watching once Mick McManus stopped working. The reason being it became fake after that.

Brilliantly, one of the commenters on the Guardian piece talks about how it all became fake when McManus's era started, not like when it was real in Jack Pye's day.

• Paid Members
My obituary for him at The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/22/mick-mcmanus

Good obit, Lister. Out of interest, what was the name of the pub he ran in Guildford, do you know? Might pop down there for a pint if it's still in business.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2051481_..._colourful_past

Too late, Loki.

Archived