Mick McManus RIP

Up Chuck

I've been out promoting all week, and the amount of comments I've had off people has been unreal. As soon as they've seen my posters they've brought up McManus and his passing. I don't think any of us in wrestling today will truly understand how big a name he was, and more importantly, how respected his name is. I find people mention Big Daddy jokingly, but they mention McManus with respect in their tone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is it with pro wrestling and the mainstream media? I was reading that Mirror webpage and it was all going well until the sign-off sentence:

the days when Saturdays meant watching fat men in leotards play-acting in the ring?

Just one of those things. They're not lying when they say that, and from their perspective that's what it was. Obviously we feel differently about it because we are all wrestlingcentric so to speak.

EDIT: At least it wasn't cuntish like this: http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/soundvault.php?fileid=1265

• Paid Members

He got a mention today during the test match commentary on TMS. Jonathan Agnew brought up the fact that he was often at Lords during games, and by the sound of it he probably was an MCC member. They then started trying to recollect names of other British wrestlers, with the scorer managing to rattle of quite a number of names from the past. (Obviously there wasn't much happening in the game at this point)

He got a mention today during the test match commentary on TMS. Jonathan Agnew brought up the fact that he was often at Lords during games, and by the sound of it he probably was an MCC member. They then started trying to recollect names of other British wrestlers, with the scorer managing to rattle of quite a number of names from the past. (Obviously there wasn't much happening in the game at this point)

Any idea what point in the game this was during? I wouldn't mind listening to it on the iplayer.

• Paid Members

I missed it the first time around, but enjoyed watching "When Wrestling Was Golden" on Saturday.

It was an absolute scheduling quirk as it was scheduled before Mick passed away, but in the end it almost ended up as a tribute to him.

Archived