Mick McManus RIP

Up Chuck

• Paid Members

Word going round on Twitter and Facebook that Mick McManus has died. No official news thing's confirmed it as far as I know, but people like Andy Quildan and Marty Scurll have mentioned it so it's almost certainly true.

And if it is, that's a titanic name of British wrestling we've just lost. He's one of about five wrestlers my parents can name. Only 5'6" but a giant of the sport in his time. Rest in peace.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's been confirmed by Frank Rimer of the British Wrestler's Reunion.

I am deeply saddened to announce the death of the legend that was MICK MCMANUS,who passed away at 01.00 a.m. this morning. Mick never recovered from the loss of his beloved wife Barbara, and lost the will the live, despite the loving care of the nurses at the celebrity home for retired actors :Brishing House where he lived out his final days.Even the arrival of his old friend Lord Richard Attenborough recently, failed to lift his spirits, refusing all food and drink until he quietly slipped into a coma three days ago. MICK MCMANUS was without doubt, through his own efforts, the greatest wrestling name that the U.K. has ever seen or will see again, and even 25 years after his retirement, he retained his aura of stardom until the end. He was 93.Funeral details will be posted shortly, and full obituaries will foloow on the main wrestling sites.

Very sad.

I'm sure there will be many thousands of words written about the man's career and life in the coming weeks - and deservedly so.

Condolences to the family and the many friends.

R.I.P.

My thoughts are with Micks family. I met the man once at one of the Wayne Bridges Reniouns and remember him to be such a gent. Sad to hear the news but at the age of 93 he had a long life and has left so many memories.

• Paid Members

Its hard to be to sad when a wrestler dies in his mid-80s. Its pretty big testament to how well he took care of himself. Before my and most of our times, but you wouldn't think it. He was the bloke they always turned to when they needed an interview. I bet he was on TV over here more than any other British Wrestler in the last two decades. One thing about him that set him apart from most wrestler I can think of is that he had respect from people as a showman. There's loads of books by celebrities (Frank Skinner being one off the top of my head) where they will talk about how good of a showman he was to wind the country up to the point of wanting to murder him. He's the image you get when people go "its all fixed now. Not like it was when it was on ITV".

My fondest memory of him was fucking up Flash Barker's name and calling him "Flash Gordon" at an FWA show years ago.

EDIT:

Just informed my Mam of his death.

Me: "Sky News says Mick McManus is dead.

Mam: "Oh is he still alive?"

Me: "No ... he's dead."

Silly old moo.

• Paid Members

Just told my dad, who is on holiday and can only pick up emails on his kindle in the pub - told me that he was a great entertainer, and when he told the people in the pub there were a lot of memories and sad faces. I remember my dad slagging the wrestling constantly, but telling me that some matches in Britain were real (such as George Kidd's matches), and some had determined endings, but the way they got there was up to the wrestlers, so it was semi-real - an example of the latter would be Pallo vs. McManus matches. Gawd bless my dad, the big humblemark.

Archived