DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Saw Popstar - Never Stop, Never Stopping. A parody of the recent run of pop docs of Katy Perry, Bieber etc. Really enjoyed it, but like the Loney Island and some great cameos in it. It didn't do great at the box office but was Better then it should have been. Bit like Walk Hard actually

I'm a fan of Michael Shannon but that was terrible casting as Elvis. Not good looking enough and the accent was totally wrong. I thought Spacy did a good job as Nixon tho

I know what you mean about Michael Shannon not being a typical Elvis as such but, the longer the film went on the more I thought he was good in the role. Similar to the casting of John Cusack in Love & Mercy (which is a fantastic film by the way).

• Awards Moderator

Fantastic Beasts is brilliant. I enjoyed it so much more than any of the Potter films and I may be in love with the female leads.

Seconded. In fact I think the weakest part of the whole film was Eddie and he was good in it

Echo the love for Fantastic Beasts. 99% excellent, would have been a five star film for me if

Johnny fucking Depp hadn't turned up at the end. Took me right out of the film.

but the rest of it was wonderful. My favourite part was

the journey into the case where you meet all the creatures. So good!

• Paid Members

Fantastic Beasts is brilliant. I enjoyed it so much more than any of the Potter films and I may be in love with the female leads.

Seconded. In fact I think the weakest part of the whole film was Eddie and he was good in it
Echo the love for Fantastic Beasts. 99% excellent, would have been a five star film for me if

Disagree. I think that leaves me intrigued for the future films

since The first pirates he has been quite the joke with his eclectic characters (sans the 21 jump st cameo) and I think when he has a good director who can control him, it can lead to good things. I have faith in Yates, plus you know JK is very careful with the actors chosen

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Awards Moderator

since The first pirates he has been quite the joke with his eclectic characters (sans the 21 jump st cameo) and I think when he has a good director who can control him, it can lead to good things. I have faith in Yates, plus you know JK is very careful with the actors chosen

I hope you're right, David Heyman hasn't had a misstep in casting in 9 films now - 10 if you include Paddington as well! - and they must see something in him. In this team I trust. But in that admittedly brief moment I couldn't see Grindelwald, I could only see Johnny Depp playing another weirdo. I hope I'm wrong and you're right and I'll be watching the rest of the series regardless, but for me it was the only sour moment in this film.

• Paid Members

I hope you're right, David Heyman hasn't had a misstep in casting in 9 films now - 10 if you include Paddington as well! - and they must see something in him. In this team I trust. But in that admittedly brief moment I couldn't see Grindelwald, I could only see Johnny Depp playing another weirdo. I hope I'm wrong and you're right and I'll be watching the rest of the series regardless, but for me it was the only sour moment in this film.

As I said, the last time I enjoyed a Depp role was Chocolaté or the first Pirates. He is actually a very good actor. It just seems the last 10 years have been playing over the top characters rather then acting. This could be a resurgence (lets hope)

Has anybody here laid their eyes on "Howling 2"? What a bizarrely hilarious film.

I'd recommend that you watch this review

That is superb!
If you like that review check his other stuff.

JonTron is my favourite YouTuber by far.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

So I watched Millers Crossing again last night. It’s really something special isn’t it?

I wonder if that weird Bryan Singer cunt put Gabriel Byrne in a hat and trenchcoat in The Usual Suspects because he liked Millers Crossing?

But I really think Millers Crossing is one of the best movies ever made. It just has fucking everything. Humour, drama, amazing characters, action, thrills...and it’s fucking entertaining, which is all I ask!

I also watched Tell No One...without subtitles because the version I downloaded didn’t come with them. I have decent French so I was up to speed with about 80% of it but the missus – who was trying to sleep on my lap - was absolutely fucking livid. At regular intervals I’d hear “Ah for fucks sake! Fucking gibberish is all I hear” and then “You think you’re intelligent with your foreign language just because you had a phrase book in Lanzarote” or – no word of a joke - “Why is that Meet the Fockers Da and your one from Four Weddings talking Spanish?”

An incredible experience. Both the film, and the company kept throughout.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Miller's Crossing is perfect. There isn't a thing you could improve in it. I'm going to watch the Danny Boy scene again on YouTube.

I've seen Tell No-One as well. Good little thriller, that, although I hated the ending. France have knocked out some really good action thrillers over the last decade or so - Sleepless Night, Point Blank (not the Marvin one obvs although that's fucking brilliant), Paris By Night and summat else I can't remember the name of are all dead good. Think a couple of them might be on Netflix as well.

• Paid Members

Managed to finally watch the latest X-men movie. Found it entertaining enough but it's more of a pop-fest when you see characters from the comics appearing live and in the flesh.

Watched The Greasy Strangler again. Just gets better with each viewing.