DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I watched The Nice Guys (finally) the other night. Loved it!

Shane Black can do no wrong in my eyes, he's still the king of buddy action film dialogue and I am now in love with Ryan Gosling. The thought of Black getting a go at the next Predator movie has me sliding off my chair. 

• Paid Members

It's kind of annoying how dazzling Gosling is. The Nice Guys being an example, yes.

I watched Life On The Road and Born To Be Blue, yesterday.

Life On The Road is a mixed bag, with it having some funny lines, good observations, but some of the characters are woefully fleshed out, which is quite the contrast to The Office. Plus, Gervais decided to really ham it up as Brent with silly faces and a ubiquitous laugh. The ending was nice, but felt like they decided to chop out an important 10 minutes or so before it. Borderline disappointing, but I buggered The Office back in the day.

Born To Be Blue was fantastic. It's all on Ethan Hawke being incredible as Chet Baker. I also found it admirable how frank they were about drugs and their relation to how Baker was better while on them.

• Paid Members

I watched The Nice Guys (finally) the other night. Loved it!

Shane Black can do no wrong in my eyes, he's still the king of buddy action film dialogue and I am now in love with Ryan Gosling. The thought of Black getting a go at the next Predator movie has me sliding off my chair. 

Gosling after falling down the hill, drunk at the tree trying to call and motion to Crowe about the dead body was fucking priceless

Really is a spiritual sequel to the utterly glorious Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Shane Black just gets it. Always did.

Shane Black just gets it. Always did.

Why is Iron Man 3 the second worst superhero film of the last decade then?

It's the second worst Iron Man film, but no way any sane person could put it behind the likes of 2 turgid fantastic four films, and half of DC's output. Wolverine origins as well.

• Paid Members

Life On The Road is a mixed bag, with it having some funny lines, good observations, but some of the characters are woefully fleshed out, which is quite the contrast to The Office. Plus, Gervais decided to really ham it up as Brent with silly faces and a ubiquitous laugh. The ending was nice, but felt like they decided to chop out an important 10 minutes or so before it. Borderline disappointing, but I buggered The Office back in the day.

i enjoyed the fuck out of it, mainly because i love Brent as a character. I do agree that there appeared to be a chunk of the movie missing before the final act though. The football conversation in the pub probably got the biggest laugh from me.

• Paid Members

Blair Witch.

Now, as a fan of the first two flicks, I was a bit apprehensive about this but mother of fuck, it absolutely blitzed its predecessors in terms of my pots being gone and my bumcheeks issuing a vice-like grip on my Bovril hole. It’s really, really, REALLY fucking good and I hope it gets the plaudits and box office it deserves when it goes on release next month.

The final third...I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. It just went fucking nuts...in the best possible way.

Right, if there any among you who want spoilers or have questions and blah blah, the usual, fire away...

Should have just left it with the perfect "Blair Witch Project". Everything was perfect, acting, marketing, etc, then they go and ruin it with that "Book of Shadows" shite. I assume it's better than that? I remember being at the first screening of that in 1999 (the first one) in Glasgow and you can tell by people's faces, they were properly shitting themselves.

I wish somebody would make a film these days where you can't judge if it's real or not.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

It’s much better than Book of Shadows, Barold. I do have a soft spot for that flick though, mainly because it’s really not as bad as people thing, and also because of Carter Burwells score, Kim Directors cleavage and Erica Leerhsen in the nip, but it had an awful hard act to follow after The Blair Witch Project, and with only a few months prep.

I will say that the new one utterly twists a corkscrew up your hoop with regards to what you thought you knew about the first one. It’s a direct sequel –

right from the first scene you’re back with Heather, Josh and Mike

- in that Heathers’ little brother is going into the woods to find his sister and I swear, my pots were absolutely rinsed throughout. It’s really fucking good, it’s very fucking clever, it’s incredibly fucking tense and scary, it’s played on my mind for the last two days and fans of the first movie will be only delighted with it.