DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

My first film of 2015 was '71. It's set in 1971 (hence the title) and is about a battalion of fresh army recruits who are sent to Belfast as a peacekeeping force. Shit goes down and one of the English soldiers is left behind in IRA territory. Knowing very little about the Troubles I really enjoyed the setting of the film as it felt very new to me and the film is very gripping and fast paced. In short, it's bloody good. Go watch it.

HGs post is wonderful!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed that read, sir.

Cheers Mr Malbranque, very kind of you to say! 

Kicked off 2015's films with The Theory Of Everything. Film is good, Eddie Redmayne is astounding. You hear reviews all the time go on about performances being 'transformative' and 'revelatory' and everything, but this really is. The physicality, the changing voice, the tiniest expressions, he's incredible in this film. And you don't realise until just before the end how much he's changed since the start - the degeneration of Hawking's disease comes about gradually in the film, which creates a very different pair of effects. See it for Redmayne, and for Felicity Jones, who's excellent as well.

Yes, your 2014 post was great.

I'm glad to see you enjoyed The Theory of Everything. I'm looking forward to watching it, the trailer was outstanding. 

Watched Dallas Buyers Club last night and found it underwhelming. Some good performances though, didn't know Steve Zahn was in it so that was nice. The doctor character was such a cliche you could practically guess what her next line of dialogue was going to be.

Off to see Enemy today, so looking forward to that.

Had a day in and watched a couple of films today.

Whiplash - this review is going to be short. Whiplash is the best film I've seen in a long while. It actually made me say "wow" at the end. Just an utterly beautiful film which hits so freaking hard. I can't recommend it enough! I've seen Miles Teller in quite a few things now and this is just a ridiculous performance. When you next are thinking of watching something, just choose this, it's breathtaking in so many places.

The Dark Knight was on itv so we decided to give a record and watch. I've seen it a fair few times, but not for a good year or so.

My thoughts after watching it again are pretty much the same as I previously thought.

It's a fun, dumb film which you can turn your brain off and just enjoy, which is all I want from films like that really. It's feels like it has a million plot holes (though they may be explained, I just never pay attention.) but it's got a pretty good flow and is acted exactly how you would want a batman film to be.

Well I say that but something did occur to me, in my mind everyone is over the top and deliberately hamming it which if is the case then it's awesomely done. However since watching it ive seen other Christopher Nolan films and they seem to take them self waaaaayyy too seriously, if they are trying to do serious acting and unintentionally coming off like that, then that adds a whole new dimension and makes the film 20% shitter.

The film has an undeniable aura to it though, it feels like an 'epic' film which is a must watch. The only problem I have is how dark everything is, I want my superhero films to be fun like Marvel films. Both sets of films are dumb but I'd rather spend my time in a bright marvel universe which makes jokes and can make fun of themselves.

(Also I will add to the appreciation of Devil, it's a great suspense film which is also only like 70mins long. I loved that as it didn't need to be any longer, it told its story in a super efficient way.)

• Paid Members

I watched The Dark Knight for the first time on ITV.

Good film, fun to watch, but what was all the fucking fuss about. People were spaffing their pants off over it and how great Ledger was and this and that. It was a good film but it was no where near the hype and next to the hype I found the Joker disappointing and somehow a little camp in a way which didn't fit.

That said, while not a batman fanatic, I do enjoy the old cartoon series and the Burton film, I always enjoyed Two Face as a villain, so it was nice to see the potential depth and the dichotomy (is that the right word) of the character on show compared to Batman Forever.

It felt odd as a film, too daffy to take seriously but taken too seriously to be truly daffy. Fun, good fun and I don't regret watching it, but it's not on my list of films which will be high for a re-watch and I doubt I will bust myself to catch the following films.

The final scene is great. Not Good, Bad, Ugly ending great, but Scarface-cartoony great. Americana at its best. One of those speeches that gives you goosebumps.

"...Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... the Dark Knight."

My first film of 2015 was '71. It's set in 1971 (hence the title) and is about a battalion of fresh army recruits who are sent to Belfast as a peacekeeping force. Shit goes down and one of the English soldiers is left behind in IRA territory. Knowing very little about the Troubles I really enjoyed the setting of the film as it felt very new to me and the film is very gripping and fast paced. In short, it's bloody good. Go watch it.

Thanks for reminding me about this, I missed the cinema release and see that it's now out at certain websites. Jack O'Connell was great in Starred Up so I'm expecting a lot here.

• Paid Members

When I first saw The Dark Knight at the cinema I thought Ledger was brilliant in it. However I watched it again a few months ago and I started to wonder why I thought so. Campy and not as intimidating or as intense as I remember. Maybe it's got something to do with people ripping that character off for about 5 years.

• Paid Members

Went to see Big Hero 6 today.

Really thought it was great. Baymax is a great character. Good humour, great action, good times had by all.

Went home and re-watched The Lego Movie. Really not sure whose going to get the Oscar. I think Lego may nick it, both really like both

Also, credit for Disney in taking two Marvel properties the masses knew nothing of, and making two great films

• Paid Members

I'm guessing the low turn out was no promotion. The adverts and posters say 30th Jan. No mention of a 1 day advance preview. I only saw it was on by accident myself earlier last week.

One of my locals is £4 any film, anytime (2 or 3D) so is often busy anyway

• Paid Members

One thing that bothered me about nolans dark knight.

The ending was epic, the speech the running the music.

Cut forward to the next film, Bruce more or less ran home and hung up his cape that night. Not very hero like was it. Fuck those gangs/robbers ect i need to hide from the law!

I really want to see big hero 6. But my local isnt showing it till the 30th

Edited by quote the raven

Ron&Hermoine

where did you see Whiplash? I've seen a trailer for last two times I've been to cinema and really like the look of it

I never know whether to link or whatever, but usually just google the name of the film online stream. There are a few great websites for it. That's literally what I do, no special sites or anything, simply ask my mate Google.

Anyway, yeah it really does hit hard and is great watch. Like I said, I can't recommend it highly enough.