DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

I just watched Wonder Boys. I loved the Michael Chabon novel when I read it a year or two ago, and the film's a really good adaptation. Michael Douglas is excellent, and there's a great cast around him with the likes of Robert Downey Jr and Frances McDormanc. Katie Holmes and Tobey Maguire are good in it too.

• Paid Members
So, Chinatown turned out to be fucking brilliant.

Watch it again in about 3 months. It's even better second time round.

There a reason for that? :)

Taa for recommending it, stunning film.

• Paid Members

The plot just seems stronger second time round and you don't miss as much. There's a lot to miss in it as well, there's something meaningful happening in every scene. I could happily watch it every week.

Chinatown definitely rewards repeat viewing.

I'd watch Patton next, I absolutely love that film. A great war movie.

• Paid Members

'Casualties of War' is an often overlooked 'nam film. Brian De Palma directs & Michael J Fox and Sean Penn both put in great performances . 'Uncommon Valor' is one I have fond memories of from watching as a kid but I doubt it's held up over time. Probably like watching an episode of 'The A Team' now.

Edit: Oh, and 'Missing In Action 2' with Chuck Norris. The bit with the rate in the bag is fucking mint SPOILERS -

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members
'Casualties of War' is an often overlooked 'nam film. Brian De Palma directs & Michael J Fox and Sean Penn both put in great performances . 'Uncommon Valor' is one I have fond memories of from watching as a kid but I doubt it's held up over time. Probably like watching an episode of 'The A Team' now.

Edit: Oh, and 'Missing In Action 2' with Chuck Norris. The bit with the rate in the bag is fucking mint SPOILERS -

probably second in my 'favorite Chuck Norris movie' list.

...behind Delta Force of course.

I watched The Beach last night. Not horrific by any means but already really dated and not DiCaprio's finest hour. Nor at Thilda Swinton's either, actually. The acting was generally quite ropey. It was hard not to compare it to Lost at times, albeit with substantially less waiting around for a fucking payoff once in a while. The French love interest was gorgeous too, don't think I've seen her in much else. Overall, not a total shit fest, but it was no Repo Man. But then what is?