DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I watched the visit and the main highlight was the array of snazzy jumpers the lead had throughout, which says more about the film than anything else I could. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Moderators
On 10/25/2018 at 8:55 AM, BomberPat said:

Above all, it's the 1980s nostalgia aspect that's just lazy and doesn't make sense. The movie is set in 2045. The protagonists are all teenagers or younger. Even the villain was, presumably, born this century. 2045 is sixty years after Back to The Future was brought out.
That would be equivalent to teenagers in the present day losing their mind over references to Battleship Potemkin and Buster Keaton, and all running round listening to ragtime. 

Although I like both the book and enjoyed watching the film (but never need to see it again), I can't argue with most of your criticisms.

This bit, however - the point was that Jim Haliday was nostalgic for the 80s and all the clues in the hunt related to knowledge of his interests. That's why people were interested in (but not nostalgic for) all the 80s pop culture references.

MV5BOTYyODk2MTE3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjY5

This was splendid, and the kind of reboot I can get on board with, unlike a certain unkillable franchise in a Shatner mask. Thoroughly recommended for 80s gorehounds. Bollocks to all this child-friendly, jump scare saturated, haunted house jiggery-pokery, I'd much rather see a nerdy Jewish character shoving an evil baby Hitler puppet in an oven and saying, "See how you like it!"

Edited by Brewster McCloud

On 10/25/2018 at 12:08 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Taking of Deborah Logan is REALLY good, especially for a found footage horror film. Nothing new but executed extremely well with a really brilliant and subtle ending shot. Good fun.

Nobody asked but my top five found footage horror film ranking would be:-

1. [REC]
  2. Trollhunter
  3. [REC]2
  4. The Taking of Deborah Logan
  5. Man Bites Dog

Honourable mentions for Cloverfield, Lake Mungo and Chernobyl Diaries.

Worst five:-

1. Exists
  2. The Dyatlov Pass Incident
  3. Paranormal Activity
  4. The Bay
  5. The Last Broadcast

Dishonourable mentions to Creep, Cannibal Holocaust and Diary of the Dead.

back  to found footage. did anyone else enjoy the short lived TV show The River?  i thought it was brilliant and was looking forward to another series 

Boring Times at The Throwback Movie: I wanted to like this film, but I just couldn't. It was a lot of sub-Lynchian pissing around until it got to the Manson guy. That was a story worth telling, but all that stuff with the 2-way mirror amounted to nothing, and it just wasn't worth the running time. Great acting, some nice scenes, but.... c'mon, give me a fucking story.

Watched the IT reboot earlier for the first time, thought it was utter shite for the most part but did enjoy Bill Skarsgaard as Penneywise, so much more creepier than Tim Curry's version

Also watched the original Village of the Damned and it's sequel Children of the Damned which were highly enjoyable

Never Goin Back

Written, directed and edited by the same person for their directorial debut, Augustine Frizell, this is the story of two stoner 17 year olds who dream about going on a little trip and what they have to do to get the money to pay for.

Bit too indie for its own good, and slightly sags in the last part, but the two leads are excellent, and the script is pretty sharp. Assured for a debut, well worth catching.

Class

Andrew McCarthy goes to a prep school where a young Rob Lowe, John Cusack and the one from Ferris Bueller/Spin City attend, starts shagging an older woman and gets in a bit of shit.

I HATED McCarthys character in Pretty In Pink (Fuck you Blane), but he was good value in this, as was Rob Lowe, but he's always good.

• Paid Members

The first two The Stepfather films are really good. Mostly to do with Terry O'Quinn, I think, but there's some great stuff in them. The last 15 minutes of the second one has some of the best stuff in them that I've watched all month.

Also rewatched Quatermass and the Pit today. Is it Britain's greatest ever sci-fi film? Has to be up there at least. Almost certainly Hammer's greatest ever film.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Surely The Fog should be the next one to get the John Carpenter rebootquel treatment after the success of Halloween? There's also no added complication of a bunch of sequels to ignore either. It's a great horror film but it's nuts that it's not quite one of his very best.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is pretty amazing as well. Reminded me a lot of the German film Angst which is highly recommended to anyone who likes serial killer horror films. These films are far scarier when told from the POV of the killer.

Didn't they remake The Fog with Smallville Superman?

What's out there in terms of horror western? Obviously Bone Tomahawk is a great recent one. I've never seen High Plains Drifter but heard that's a horror but it's a hard sell for the missus.

Not horror but I did finally get around to watching Silverado on Sunday. It's really great, has a fantastic cast and is a perfect Sunday afternoon film. Great seeing young Costner not play a sensible everyman too.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Didn't they remake The Fog with Smallville Superman?

What's out there in terms of horror western? Obviously Bone Tomahawk is a great recent one. I've never seen High Plains Drifter but heard that's a horror but it's a hard sell for the missus.

They did but I'm talking about a new one by people who know what they're actually doing.

I remember @Silky Kisser asking about horror westerns on here a few years ago actually, and the answer I gave him still applies - there aren't many. Like Bone Tomahawk, High Plains Drifter is basically just a straightforward western for the most part. Any horror / supernatural elements it has are very subtle. It's a brilliant film, but if the missus doesn't like westerns then she probably won't like it.

Tremors 4 technically counts and the upside of that is that you'd have to watch the rest of the Tremors series to that point. Ravenous could also technically count, but beyond these and Grim Prairie Tales (which I haven't seen), the cupboard's pretty bare.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

I've actually seen the first three Tremors I think. I seem to remember three coming out when I worked in a video shop, think it had flying Tremors didn't it?

I'm amazed there hasn't been a zombie western, what with the popularity of a certain games zombie mode and there being zombie everything. I recently rewatched Ravenous, it's a lot funnier than I remember.

• Paid Members

I'm sure there have been zombie westerns, there are probably a clutch of DTV ones, probably with Michael Madsen and/or Danny Trejo in them. But they're almost certainly terrible, as most zombie films are.