DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Nice Guys - My word, what a truly wonderful film.  Fantastic dialogue made all the more better by the delivery, great references, great pacing, really put a big smile on my face.

About bloody time you saw it!

Watched The Meg last night. Thought it was great fun throughout. Loads of nods to Jaws including

the sonar they use to detect when the meg is approaching that makes a sound like the main music from Jaws, only higher pitched. It gets faster as the shark gets closer so that made me smile. Also liked the dog that gets chased being called Pippin after the dog in the first film in the scene when Alex Kitner gets nommed.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Didn't spot that, where was it?

Can't remember what the spoiler tag is so I've done it in white below this sentence, so highlight it.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't remember what the spoiler tag is so I've done it in white below this sentence, so highlight it.

Shit, never noticed that. Brilliant stuff. It's definitely getting a second viewing.

Just remembered how much I loved the false finish when they think they've caught the meg and it's on the boat. I was convinced it was going to come back alive and bite his arm off, Deep Blue Sea style. The swerve and the real meg jumping over the boat was great.

Also, how great was the shot towards the end of the packed beach, panning out and seeing everybody as it approached. Really wanted it to just open it's mouth and start scooping people out of the sea but it going after the guy in the inflatable ball was good enough for me.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

[ spolier ] [ / spoiler ] if you remove all the spaces

Tonights rewatch was Magnolia.  I haven't seen it for a couple of years but it is even better than I remember.  Possibly an even better ensemble cast performance than Glengarry Glen Ross, which I think I need to rewatch as that too has been a couple of years.

• Paid Members

On Pacino, what's everyones thoughts on his performance in Scent of a Woman?

I watched it last night, seeing as I had not watched it since the late 90s and couldn't remember too much. It's the most puzzling performance ever, full of quite self-indulgent little character ticks and phrasing, with that southern drawl - which is very funny, intentional or not - but come the end you also sort of feel a great deal of sympathy for "hoo-haa!" himself. It's all over the place, is my point, from hammy to quite lovely. Not sure what to make of it.

The film itself is still ok. Pacino with his super human blindness super powers and all.

• Paid Members

Fucking love Glengarry Glen Ross. Great, great film. My personal favourite bits are Pacino's monologues to Pryce, playing on the Link character's insecurity about never having been adventurous. Mamet writes that material beautifully, painting a real picture of a life to be intrigued by, but Pacino delivers it with that cynical, gravelly voice while sipping down whiskey after whiskey, and it's gripping.

However, Lemmon's performance is definitely the best over the course of the entire film. I don't think there's anyone else for whom you can build up a sense of sympathy for than Shell Levene.

I also love that, because of the popularity of Baldwin's infamous "Always Be Closing" speech and that it's now seen as being the early 90s equivalent of "Greed Is Good", it's now included in scripts and performances of the stage version.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Fucking love Glengarry Glen Ross. Great, great film. My personal favourite bits are Pacino's monologues to Pryce, playing on the Link character's insecurity about never having been adventurous. Mamet writes that material beautifully, painting a real picture of a life to be intrigued by, but Pacino delivers it with that cynical, gravelly voice while sipping down whiskey after whiskey, and it's gripping.

However, Lemmon's performance is definitely the best over the course of the entire film. I don't think there's anyone else for whom you can build up a sense of sympathy for than Shell Levene.

I also love that, because of the popularity of Baldwin's infamous "Always Be Closing" speech and that it's now seen as being the early 90s equivalent of "Greed Is Good", it's now included in scripts and performances of the stage version.

The Baldwin scene was not in the recent revival in the West End. It's a fun scene in the film, but it's a little unnecessary on stage I feel. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

The Baldwin scene was not in the recent revival in the West End. It's a fun scene in the film, but it's a little unnecessary on stage I feel. 

Yeah, it seems to have mainly been included in the Broadway productions. It's definitely a "luxury" casting, as the actor's only on for about ten minutes maximum, so I'd imagine it'd only appear in productions in large theatres with a high-profile cast.