DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Watched The Hurricane Heist earlier (in some cinemas and on Sky Cinema starting tomorrow). I wasn't expecting much, just a fairly entertaining action movie to pass 90-odd minutes, but it fails to deliver even that, even with a few recognisable faces in Toby Kebbell, Maggie Grace, Ryan Kwanten and Ralph Ineson, and being directed by Rob Cohen. It's just so incredibly average and generic, poorly written and poorly made, to the point where they really should not have bothered.

• Paid Members

I'll still watch it because of that cast and also to see how shit Maggie Grace is.

I just watched Taken 2 where she's not as shit as in the first one, but she also shouldn't be running round throwing grenades and doing a Dom Toretto impression.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

She's fucking dire. Her in the first Taken is one of those performances that always stands out in my memory when I think about terrible individual performances in otherwise good films.

The second one was a bit boring and rubbish and I don't remember it that well, so I don't remember particularly if her acting had improved.

Sam Rockwells character for one. Despite his obvious nasty side, he was pretty much a bumbling idiot that I chuckled too more than once. 

Laughter track was an overstatement, but there was a definite humerous tone to the film that was so out of place. 

That CGI deer scene was so fucking weird too. 

The whole film was just so pointless. I felt a bit let down by it I think, because the first 15-20 minutes really gripped me. 

28 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

That's not weird considering it is a black comedy.

Not when it's showing as a Crime/Drama on imdb. That's what I thought it was going in, so that's what I was expecting. 

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive, but a film about a woman who's daughter was raped whilst she's dying and then the body being burnt shouldn't have humour attributed to it.