DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

As I usually do this time of year, I'm going to go through my film-watching year and find out what my favourite, and least favourite, films of 2015 were.

(Spoiler: my favourite will probably end up being Star Wars)

I don't watch a massive number of films, so this is by no means a comprehensive best/worst of the year, nor do I pretend it is.

What's nice about this year is that while I didn't see loads of new films, of the ones I did, there were only 2 I didn't like.

So, beginning with January, and on New Year's Day we went to The Theory Of Everything. Good film, fantastic performance from Eddie Redmayne, but not something I'd probably ever watch outside of awards season. Later in the month, I did a double feature of Foxcatcher and Birdman. Foxcatcher is one of the 2 films I didn't like this year. I found it bloody tedious, in fact, dull in the extreme. The acting's good, but I wasn't drawn in at any point. Birdman, however, I loved. At least, the first time I saw it - the one-shot thing was spellbinding, even if I wasn't massively keen on the ending. Saw it again with a friend a month later, and without the novelty, it didn't have quite the same effect, but still, that first time - wow. I was pulling for Boyhood at the Oscars, but I was quite happy for this to have won. Film of the year!

Well, for a week, because the following weekend we saw Whiplash and that was fucking GREAT. Good job, Whiplash.

Films of 2015: end of January

1. Whiplash

2. Birdman

3. The Theory of Everything

4. Foxcatcher

Didn't go to the cinema in February… or in March… or for most of April, until Avengers: Age of Ultron came out. I had kind of mixed feelings about this when it came out, which have kind of mellowed over time. I still think too much of it was devoted to cramming in as much 'look what our upcoming films are going to involve' as possible rather than focusing on the film that was actually happening at the time, but I'd still be happy to watch it again.

To May! Which, I think, kicked off with Rosewater, for which I dragged the other half to the only cinema in Edinburgh that was showing it because it was directed by Jon Stewart. And it was bloody good - a fascinating, crazy, inspiring true story, really well told, with Gael Garcia Bernal playing a surprisingly convincing average Iranian bloke.

But then… then… Mad Max: Fury Road. It had kind of flown under my radar until the week it came out, when all the five star reviews started appearing; I was never the biggest Mad Max fan, though I'd seen and liked the second one. A couple of friends suggested going to see it in the pub one night (which in itself became the start of an informal little cinema club who now regularly go to and discuss films together), so we did. In IMAX 3D. And FUCKING HELL WHAT A FILM. Edge of your seat holding your breath heart pounding fist pumping brilliance. What an experience, utterly exhilarating, I felt exhausted by the end and could swear driving home that a gang of War Boys were chasing me up the A1. I haven't rewatched it, because I'm afraid I won't be able to replicate that experience. Needless to say, Film of the Year!

Well, until Star Wars. Possibly.

Anyway, something had to follow Fury Road, and that was Tomorrowland. I know it didn't do too well, certainly commercially and maybe critically too, but I thought it was great. It was colourful, it was optimistic, it was original and it was fit to fucking burst with loads and loads of ideas. Loads to like about this one.

Films of 2015: end of May

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. Tomorrowland

3. Whiplash

4. Birdman

5. Rosewater

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron

7. The Theory of Everything

8. Foxcatcher

Into June, it was the g/f's turn to drag me to a film. Far From The Madding Crowd it is. Never ever would have picked this one myself, but I ended up really liking it. Gorgeous cinematography, I wasn't familiar with the novel so the story drew me in, and Carey Mulligan and Matthias Schoenaerts are both excellent in it. Michael Sheen too, actually. Contrasting that totally was Jurassic World which was the film I've been most hyped for this year that wasn't set in a galaxy far far away. I know it had flaws, but nostalgia kicks into overdrive with anything Jurassic and so I end up forgiving all those flaws and reverting to "ERMAHGERD DINOSAURS" mode. All it takes is a couple of seconds of that music or a shot or two of the park operational and I'm sold. I loved it … but it doesn't beat Mad Max.

What else doesn't beat Mad Max? Mr Holmes, which is the other one of the 2 films I didn't really like. Ian McKellen's very, very good, but the film around him is not.

July, however, had a couple of contenders to Max's title. I managed to catch Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief during its cinema release, and it blew me away. I'm fascinated by the subject anyway, but … yeah, mind-blowing documentary. If it turns up on Sky Atlantic again, make sure you catch it. Later in the month, we went to Slow West, an awesome awesome Western with Michael Fassbender. Highly recommended as well. I like a good Western, and this was a good Western. After that came Ant Man, which was fine. I liked it. It was good. Not all that fussed about seeing it again or anything, but… yeah, it was fine. Bring on Civil War.

And then there was Inside Out… Sublime. Just sublime. I was a blubbering wreck about a verse into 'Lava', and it didn't really get less embarrassing after that in terms of me being an emotional wreck. Pixar at its best is just unparalleled. Beautiful film.

Films of 2015: end of July

2. Inside Out

3. Going Clear

4. Jurassic World

5. Tomorrowland

6. Whiplash

7. Slow West

8. Birdman

9. Rosewater

10. Avengers: Age of Ultron

11. Far From The Madding Crowd

12. Ant Man

13. The Theory of Everything

14. Mr Holmes

15. Foxcatcher

(That top 3 is very unlikely to change … until Star Wars, obviously)

Didn't go to the cinema in August for some reason, and the only film we went to in September was Bill, which was hilarious and exactly what you'd expect/hope for if the Horrible Histories cast (the original, good one, not the current rebooted lot) did a feature film about Shakespeare. Well, well worth checking out when it gets released on DVD in February. They're the best ensemble working in British comedy today, in my view.

October! This began with more Fassbender, and Macbeth, which we'd have gone to anyway, but had extra incentive because my good lady was an extra in it. Anyway, Fassbender is phenomenal in this, the look and the cinematography and the style are fantastic, it's super intense and bloody and it's a cracking bit of Shakespeare as well. When Marion Cotillard does the 'out, out damned spot' soliloquy, the camera just stays on a close-up of her face, and it doesn't move, and it sends chills up your spine. Amazing.

The Martian was next, and that was fantastic as well. I really liked the book when I read it earlier in the year, and the film completely lived up to it. Great stuff. Then there was Suffragette, which was pretty good, and shocking in parts. It seems really obvious to say it, but women have had to put up with ridiculous levels of injustice.

Crimson Peak shouldn't have been marketed as a horror film. Not because it's a bad film - it's very good - but because it's misleading, We had a group of teenage twats in our screening who must have been expecting Paranormal Insidious and left afterwards moaning about the fact there was no 'jump scare' at the end. We hadn't gone to be scared, we'd gone because oooh Guillermo del Toro and Tom Hiddleston and Gothic awesomeness. Which we got. As a Gothic Romance, it hits every sweet spot, every key trope, everything you'd want it to, and it's brilliant for it. Just don't watch expecting to jump.

Films of 2015: end of July

2. Inside Out

3. Going Clear

4. Jurassic World

5. Bill

6. Tomorrowland

7. Whiplash

8. Macbeth

9. The Martian

10. Slow West

11. Birdman

12. Crimson Peak

13. Rosewater

14. Avengers: Age of Ultron

15. Far From The Madding Crowd

16. Ant Man

17. The Theory of Everything

18. Suffragette

19. Mr Holmes

20. Foxcatcher

Nearly there now.

Spectre in November. I'm not a Bond aficionado, but I liked it. (or should that be ', so I liked it'? I don't know how it's gone down with Bond fans). The Day of the Dead opening, the Batista train fight (though apparently Cena's got him beat for film appearances this year) and Lea Seydoux generally being gorgeous mean it's got at least three things going for it. Another lady's choice for Lady in the Van, which, if you like Alan Bennett, is the most Alan Bennett-ish thing you could ever hope to see in a cinema. There are THREE Alan Bennetts in this film. Two of them are played by Alex Jennings, who's spot on, and the match of Maggie Smith who's bound to at least get a nomination at the Baftas. Great script by Bennett for this one. Another change of pace at the end of the month for Bridge of Spies, which, again, I liked. It's Spielberg, Hanks, Rylance and the Coens, so it would have been exceptionally difficult to go wrong, really. Liked it more than Lincoln.

Right at the end of November, I finally managed to get round to seeing Big Hero 6. Glorious film! Moving, funny, action-packed, compelling, colourful, inventive, just great all round. Best Disney since Tangled, for sure, and the best Marvel film of the year as well.

And then… Star Wars: The Force Awakens. No spoilers, but as soon as it finished I just wanted to watch it again, and it gets better and better each time I do. Film of the year?

Really nearly there now.

Saw Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 the other day, and while it was good, it was a bit like Part 1 in that it relies a hell of a lot on how good Jennifer Lawrence is. It's also got Natalie Dormer, Donald Sutherland and Julianne Moore being very good so there's enough to enjoy, and the 'pod' booby traps are absolutely brutally bloodthirsty. And the last 2015 film I've seen in 2015 is Ex Machina. Aside from the 'Poe Dameron and General Hux in the same film!' factor, I really like Domhnall Gleeson, and Oscar Isaac can do no wrong, and both their performances are tremendous, as is that of Alicia Vikander. The idea of artificial intelligence terrifies me, and this one used the idea a lot better than Avengers. Really glad I downloaded this one from iTunes, only £3.50 as well.

And that was my year in film. Film of the year is a tough one. I loved Star Wars. I really loved it. I'll almost definitely be going again, and I daresay I'll still love it. But the experience of watching Fury Road is unlike anything else I've seen in a cinema. How can I pick one over the other?

Short answer, I can't. JOINT FILMS OF THE YEAR! Cop-out, yes. Easy way out, yes. Don't care, it's my list.

(EDIT: but as you can see, I've changed my mind and gone with Star Wars.)

Films of 2015: the final ranking

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

2. Mad Max: Fury Road

3. Inside Out

4. Going Clear

5. Jurassic World

6. Big Hero 6

7. Bill

8. Tomorrowland

9. Whiplash

10. Macbeth

11. The Martian

12. Slow West

13. Birdman

14. Crimson Peak

15. Bridge of Spies

16. Ex Machina

17. Rosewater

18. Avengers: Age of Ultron

19. Lady in the Van

20. Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

21. Far From The Madding Crowd

22. Ant Man

23. Spectre

24. The Theory of Everything

25. Suffragette

26. Mr Holmes

27. Foxcatcher

So there we are. Star Wars, Mad Max, Pixar, Scientology, Dinosaurs in the top 5. It's been a good film year for me - like I say, it was only Mr Holmes and Foxcatcher I haven't been keen on all year, and loads and loads that I really liked a lot.

I do a post like this every year so I can sort out my films of the year in my own head, which I have, but I hope it's also been a good read for others!

EDIT: Nah, fuck it, Star Wars is number 1. As they're saying in the thread about it, five million stars.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Loved that HG. Will happily read lots of your long-form stuff.

At the grand old age of 36 3/4 I watched It's a Wonderful Life for the first time on Christmas Eve. This film is so well-trodden I feel like I've already seen it, so I was surprised the film is four fifths setup for a relatively small window of payoff. But what a payoff. The final ten minutes really are powerful cinema, magical stuff.

Cained a load of Films over Xmas

Birdman, was good, but obvious as to what was going to hapoen, the play within a play stuff is also done well in Le Denier Metro.

Avengers: Age of Ultron, never really got going and thought it ended up more as a lost Terminator Movie, come the end of it. Vision was good, but the rest was not good.

The Maze Runner, was pretty good,cross between Battle Royale,Lord of the Flys and No Escape. Meandered badly in the middle, but the bleak Truman Showesque ending was done well.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, always worth a watch, stellar cast and story, love it to bits.

Big Hero Six was ace. Disney does Anime, via a mix of How to Train Your Dragon style bleakness. Echoes of the Lego movie and The Matrix, but very funny and will watch again.

I don't think it really got going until SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
Samuel L. Jackson killed Bruce Dern.  It was unbelievably slow before that.  It's his weakest film in a while, but still quite enjoyable after the first hour or so.

EDIT:  Fuck knows why spoiler tags start a new line.

Edited by Slapnut

I watched The Interview. Now, I love Seth Rogen and genuinely think he makes anything watchable, and this had moments of humour for the first half hour or so, then unravelled and was shit, but the bit where James Franco tests the ricin on his hand and approaches the chap with his hand out had me crying and I feel ashamed.

Cinemas always used to do that for longer films. Tarantino will be doing it for Nostalgia reasons though, he used the actual camera used to film Ben Hur to film this movie.

I love film and generally a Quentin fan but things like this make me think he's a right cunt for some reason.