DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not gonna go for anything Narnia, because of the world they start out in. Essentially, the real world part has to be of roughly the same era the film was made, not olden times. And I definitely wouldn't count stuff like Pleasantville or BJM. Puppets and CGI creatures is what I'm after. I think Land of the Lost might count, but I've heard it's rubbish.

• Paid Members

Is Paperhouse the one where they're hiding and the dads coming for them telling them he's getting closer and closer?

Yeah, Horror Channel has shown it a few times recently. Ben Cross plays the dad. Something is very creepy about that film.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I watched The Shawshank Redemption the other night for what must have been the 15th time. Loved it as always, but one thing is now bugging me.

In the book/short story/whatever, does anyone know if Andy Dufresne's character ever get caught? I can't imagine them giving up the search easily, and he doesn't seem the sort to keep running.

Or did all the information at the end that led to the Wardens death and all the arrests, contain information that proved he was innocent?

I need a definitive answer.

The novella, 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption' from which it is adapted, ends with Red receiving a blank postcard from Texas, which takes as a sign that Andy has crossed the boarder into Mexico. Once Red is paroled he hitchhikes to Buxton where over a number of months he is searching hayfields for Andy's directions. He eventually finds them with an invitation from 'Peter Stevens', the pseudonym Andy has adopted, along with $1000. The story ends with Red heading to Mexico thus breaking his parole. The scene at the end of the movie where they meet up on the beach wasn't in the book.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Return to Oz terrified me as a kid.

That part where all the decapitated heads start screaming haunted me for years.

I'd have nightmares about those cunts with wheels fir hands and feet too.

Its a fucked up film, return to oz.

Return to Oz terrified me as a kid.

That part where all the decapitated heads start screaming haunted me for years.

I'd have nightmares about those cunts with wheels fir hands and feet too.

Its a fucked up film, return to oz.

You shouldve seen some of the freakish extras they cut out120362636-american-actress-fairuza-balk-

• Paid Members

I watched Love and Mercy the brand new Brian Wilson biopic last night.

I love Brian Wilson, I know loads about him and his autobiography is such a car crash it's incredible. Anyway the film focuses on two very separate periods in Brian's life, when he's young he's played by Paul Dano and when he's older in 1995 he's played by John Cusack.

Paul Dano was awesome, they made him look as much like Bryan as is possible and everything about that part was really authentic.

John Cusack was dreadful, it was such a shame, he just looked too much like John Cusack, it was impossible to buy him as Wilson, it wasn't just visual though, there was nothing special about his performance for me.

I think one of the problems was they focused the latter story at the wrong time, a few years before that he was a bearded 25 stone vegetable who was terrified of everything, if they had set the film then it would've been amazing.

Or if they had Dano do the whole film and set it from when he played him until 10 or so years later it would be been great too.

Paul Giamatti was great but it was a hilariously biased view of Dr Landy (he was a weird arsehole but they made him into a proper heel in the film)

The guy playing young Mike Love was amazing, he wasn't even a big part but he looked and behaved exactly like him, I loved that he was done do well.