DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Saw Gone Girl today. The usual Fincher brilliance. Really funny too which I wasn't expecting. The 2 1/2 hours pretty much flew by. One of those experiences which I'm not sure will be as good second time round when you know what's coming but as a first experience was terrific. Affleck, Pike, Dickens were all great and I was happy to see Nora from the Leftovers in it too.

do you think Affleck will ever shake the stigma that's attached to him that he's shit?

He's been nailing it the last few years but other than the people in the know, no one seems to give him any credit.

• Paid Members

She's a good actor, but the best anyone can expect from her career now is for her to occasionally stumble across the occasional indie or low budget film that turns out far better than anyone expected interspersed with lots of bill-paying shit.

"Society" is mental. A right head fuck film. Everybody should watch it. Gruesome as gruesome can be.

Fantastic film isn't it?  It's on DVD from Amazon, and it's worth getting.  The opening music is just perfectly judged.  None of the actors or the director ever achieved anything of note, so it stands as a completely flukey classic.

• Paid Members

The director, Brian Yuzna did reasonably well. Directed the Re-animator sequels, Return of the Living Dead 3, and an excellent Lovecraftian film, Beneath Still Waters. But quiet recently, but hopefully more good stuff soon.

• Paid Members

Gone Girl – It’s a strange one this. I keep expecting Fincher to hit the heights of Seven and Fight Club with every movie since, but he always seems to fall that little bit short of wonderful. Gone Girl is no different. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very good, enjoyable darkly comic, palpable flick with an insane amount of twists and turns, but there’s just something missing. You know you’re in a Fincher movie, but there is something arrogant about the movie on the whole.

Affleck is very good in his role as what’s essentially just a extension of himself, teetering between an almost overbearing smugness and a likeable self deprecation, but it is Rosamund Pike’s movie. She is just phenomenal and made the scenes/set pieces that I didn’t actually like about the movie, tolerable.
A true surprise was Tyler Perry. He was an absolute joy to watch and I never thought I’d say that the man played the cool black mang role better than Idris Elba would have. He lit up the screen, and I was begging for more of his character, so credit to Fincher and all involved for getting that type of performance from the much maligned Uwe Boll of BET.
I actually can’t give much more away than a nod to the characters/performances as there really are that many twists that any mention of plot points would really spoiler the bastard.

The Equalizer – It’s essentially Man on Fire 2 by way of Bourne/Taken/Bond, and it fucking works...again.

I’d watch Big Denzel – and root for him - in anything, as I think the man commands the screen better than most actors out there and he doesn’t disappoint here. There really is no plot to divulge as you’ve seen it a million times before, but it’s always nice to see a post middle aged man annihilate bad guys in extremely inventive ways.

The third act, really does go Man on Fire, and I had goosebumps for the last half hour, but if you’re a cynic, you’ll find yourself rolling your eyes a lot.

• Paid Members

I just watched Alien for the first time since I was a wee boy. So basically this was technically the first time I have consciously watched it.

I thought it was alright. There wasn't as much horror or action as I was expecting. Maybe my expectations have been tainted by the Alien game on the PS1. However the two hours did fly by. Hated the lass that was blubbering throughout the movie. I hope she was blubbering because she realised it was her fault for being such a sentimental bitch.

Can I ask a couple of questions? Did I make a mistake watching the 2003 director's cut instead of the 1979 theatrical version? Also, what's with the audio sync in regards to the scene when Ripley is in the engine room with the two engineers? There was some serious weird out of sync audio and it kinda sounded like the audio was cut up and filled in and things.

Time to get Aliens (I know I've never seen that) watched and then get the new game.  :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Bettencort, you can go spit!

You can go fucking spit, Nuno, with your frets and whammy bar!

If you come on here and say Aliens is poo, so help me sir! So help me...and so help you, too!

Watch Aliens. Feel your bollox pulse with glee as you do so. Then watch Alien again. Then watch Aliens again. Then watch the criminally underrated Alien 3 (which I have grown to appreciate with each viewing). But don’t, don’t you fucking dare watch Resurrection and Prometheus! You hear me???

Well, maybe Resurrection for Ron Perlman and the black dude from CSI, but that’s about the only good thing(s) about that flick.

• Paid Members

Haha, I feel I best go run and hide. "all right" is in no way a sleight against the film. Even though it doesn't read like it, it was said with much more enthusiasm than comes across.

I stand by what I said about the woman though. Was hoping she'd die a horrible death for slapping Ripley tbf.

Edited by Bettencourt